Power strip/surge protector with 12v trigger to turn it on?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Where can I find an inexpensive surge protector with a 12-volt trigger? I found the Panamax M8-HT-PRO but I'm not really looking to spend that much right now.

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I think I found a better solution... I can use a smart power strip that when I turn my receiver on, it automatically switches on the outlet that my amp is plugged into.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
too bad its 130v.

so how does this work? how does it know when to trigger on? does it have a 12v trigger input? or if the control outlet gets power it turns on the switched outlets?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
too bad its 130v.

...or if the control outlet gets power it turns on the switched outlets?
exactly!

When the device plugged into the control outlet gets turned on, it switches on the other outlets, and there are three outlets that are always on, one of which is the control outlet. This will save me over $100 on not having to get a sure protector/power conditioner that has a 12v trigger.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Have you tried this yet?

This would not work with my MPS. If you use a swiched outlet all it does is put the amp in standby and will not make it active. I don't remember if I tried it with the switch to signal or on but it did not work as expected.

What you could do is use a universal 12v adapter and cut the end off to go into your trigger and when that outlet comes on it will send the trigger and have the amp plugged into one of the regular outlets.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
No, I just ordered it last night, but the amp I'm using isn't my Emotiva, it's an old Onkyo amp from 1987 and it has no standby mode and no trigger on it, so it should work. The amp was the only component that didn't have a trigger, besides the preamp which is what turned the amp on and off via it's switched outlet. I can see how it wouldn't work with the Emotiva though, but if it doesn't work with my amp, I'll just send it back and try something else.

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Ahh I see. Didn't know it wasn't the Emotiva. That should work fine for that amp. That was back in the day where you had On or Off. Not - On, stand-by, auto, trigger, signal, IR, RS-232 and off. Oh the simple days.:)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I hope so. I'm going to be using it to power my BP8s in my bedroom setup. I probably don't really need it as the RX-V663 seems to do a fine job of powering them, but the amp was free so I'll put it to good use. It's 2 channel 105 watts RMS per channel @ 8 ohms. So hopefully my BP8s will sound better for stereo use, and it will free up some of the receiver's amp power so the center and surround will have plenty of juice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis