Ideal subwoofer placement?{with pictures}

S

satish536

Audioholic
Help me with placing my subwoofer.
Pls understand no spl measurements, crawling experimental etc. can be done as this is being handled by my dad whose a end user.

But i can tell him to place the sub optimally at the position i choose. Here are some pics i need to determine(by eye) where i can place the sub comfortably to get the best sound without obstructing the screen.

I was thinking between the center and left tower. Basically more near the left tower just 1 inch right to the tower.
Here are some pics of the room. The last pic is where i have marked the position

What do you guys think of this marked position:-

Tell me what you guys think. Advice, opinions, comments, changes most welcome.
thanks as always

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
You can try placing the subwoofer in the listening position while you walk around the room and determine the best sound/placement. Once determined, place the sub where you were standing.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
first off, i'd get the tower speaker away from the side wall ... that will mess up the sound you are getting

and then put the sub in between the left and center, or right and center - those would be my best no-measurement locations.

S

satish536

Audioholic
first off, i'd get the tower speaker away from the side wall ... that will mess up the sound you are getting

and then put the sub in between the left and center, or right and center - those would be my best no-measurement locations.
thanks mike
I will move the speakers more inwards away from the side walls.Although that opens up another option subwoofer on the left most corner of the room.

Question: which is ideal the left most corner where red arrow points or between the center & left/right tower speaker?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i never liked corner placement. it is indeed the loudest, but not the flattest frequency response, its a recipe for the subwoofer for sounding boomy.

S

satish536

Audioholic
i never liked corner placement. it is indeed the loudest, but not the flattest frequency response, its a recipe for the subwoofer for sounding boomy.
I don't need it loudness is even a concern since that subwoofer is a huge overkill for my 2200 cu ft room.
I went with the saying "one mans overkill is another headroom" :D

Since it would be loud enough anyway you think in between would be optimal since i do care more about flat frequency response for sure?

thanks

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I don't need it loudness is even a concern since that subwoofer is a huge overkill for my 2200 cu ft room.
I went with the saying "one mans overkill is another headroom" :D

Since it would be loud enough anyway you think in between would be optimal since i do care more about flat frequency response for sure?

thanks
yep! the farther from room boundaries, the flatter the FR - generally speaking

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
If it's allowable from an aesthetic standpoint, try using prime numbers for the sub placement - ie, 2/7 of the room width and 1/7 or 1/11 of the room length. While it may not be THE perfect place, it will keep you for the most part from exciting the room modes any more than you need to.

Bryan

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis