Another Yamaha RX-V1800 vs 3800 question

S

sengert

Enthusiast
Hey guys,

I'm very very close to updating my set-up and I'm pretty much settling on the Yamaha's... I'm struggling a little though with justifying the extra $$$ for the 3800.

I'm interested in hooking up to the internet, but would prefer to do it wireless. Is there any way to make the 3800 work via wireless? I notice they have a blue tooth accesory, would that work?

I'm also curious, is it possible for these recievers to recieve firm/software upgrades via their network connection or RS232 connection?

and a final internet thought... if convergence devises like the AppleTV and SlingBox are around the corner, is there really any reason to push for ethernet connectivity in a reciever?

Look forward to people's thoughts on this subject... :)

Sengert

S

sengert

Enthusiast
Ahhhh HAHAH! Mike that's funny, as I noticed your link took me to the "silver" model! ;)

I did look at that model a long time ago (ok, a couple of weeks ago...) but it was ruled out due to my fixed budget. I've been granted $4k to rebuild the system. For that money I need a reciever, updated DVD/CD changer, Harmony Remote, 41-46" HD Television, and cables to connect it up (HDMI's)... So, items like a PS3 and future AppleTV (or other) convergence box will come next year/christmas. Based on that budget I'm sort of capped around $1500. ...and yes, I'm married to an accountant, so I most certainly will NOT be able to hide a couple of hundred here and there! :)

Thanks again for being super fast on the response!
Sengert

PS. Love the Spider-kid costume!

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Wireless music streaming

Get a less expensive receiver and add the apple TV or squeeze box 3 for the music streaming feature. From what I have read, the networking features built into most receivers can be difficult to setup and use. The AppleTV, however, has a very nice user interface and can also stream video, pictures, and download movies.

Depending on your application, a lower model like the Yamaga RX-V663 <$500 might work just as well and allow you to spend more on the speakers, sub, or room treatments.

S

sengert

Enthusiast
Agree! and some...

Thanks JCpanny,

I agree with your POV quite a lot, in fact that is why I asked the question. The main difference from the 1800 to the 3800 is 10W of power and networking and it just seems like the networking isn't all that nice, so I wondered if it was used for other things like firmware.

I also do fully believe that the internet convergenge boxes for Home Theatre useage is inevitable... XBox is doing it, AppleTV is doing it, I think PS3's are doing it or considering it, there si SqueezBox and others coming fast. So, if these boxes are done right and with the proper corporate support mechanisms (Microsoft, Blockbuster or Netflicks, Sony, Apple, etc) then we're going to start seeing a whole new category of components enter into our cabinets as streeming radio content, Movies, YouTube, blogs, podcasts, HD movies, and Television content will all open up via internet connection. Pay as you go, or subscriptions like Netflick will be a whole new arena...

So, then where does that leave your reciever in the mix? Why both paying for networking when the writing is on the wall that it will be coming via a new independant component that you simply plug in via HDMI or other digital connector.

Thanks!

Sengert.

S

sengert

Enthusiast
OK... so does anyone know about updates then?

Cool... So it seems like several people agree with my assessment that the ethernet thing may be an overated feature, but then nobody has spoken up about firmware updates?

Does anyone know if this is being done on these upper-mid level receivers? If so, how? I know that the 3800 and the Denon equivalent definitely have used the ethernet for updating, but what about the lines right below these?

It seems like it would significantly extend the life of these products if you could get firmware updates.

Sengert.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Cool... So it seems like several people agree with my assessment that the ethernet thing may be an overated feature, but then nobody has spoken up about firmware updates?

Does anyone know if this is being done on these upper-mid level receivers? If so, how? I know that the 3800 and the Denon equivalent definitely have used the ethernet for updating, but what about the lines right below these?

It seems like it would significantly extend the life of these products if you could get firmware updates.

Sengert.
How would firmware updates significantly increase the life of the product? Unless there is a specific issue to be dealt with, and most manufactures perfer to deal with it on a service level. Updates like ps3 going to dts, probably will not happen in this market segement, as you know they release new models per annum$$$$. As for the serial port rs232 on the yama, its for custom intergration

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai

Sengert.

When Yamaha does a firmware update, which is seldom to never, they generally prefer to do it via a file that can be burned to a CD and fed to the receiver from a digital coax or optical connection.

S

sengert

Enthusiast
Much Thanks!

Thank you Bandphan and Nomo...

That makes more sense on the updating. I had in my mind that with the constant swirl of DolbyHDTrueSoundTHXHDMI goble-de-gook processing standards, that these would be things that can be easily updated via a firmware update.

But, that of course would mean then that a customer could keep their old unit and not have to go buy a new one!!! and what company would wan that after all?!? :p

Well,, things I guess are getting more clear in that for the bang for the buck factor in my case, the 1800 makes the most sense.

I just need that last push to go and put the credit card down!

sengert.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I love my RX-V1800, it does so much. I don't think I could have justified the extra money for the 3800, especially when I'm only using it as a pre/pro.

M

mancoder

Audiophyte
Advice networking 3800 for streaming music?

Hey gang, I am trying to network a Yammie 3800. I have had it about a year and have never networked it. I am aware there is a network cat cable on back side and a USB port on front. I am using a laptop with win7 ultimate and a D-Link 3000 media router (2.4-5.0 gb Capabilities) it has dual band and is very nnew to the market. What else do I need? What should I be aware of? Any step by step operation would be very cool! Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis