How to move a big tube tv?

flexodude

flexodude

Junior Audioholic
I have a 36 inch sony wega tube tv that weighs about 240 pounds. I got it into my first floor house barely. Any suggestions on how to move it safely down the steps to the basement? If sure some of you have some good (and bad) stories about trying to move large sets.

M

mph

Enthusiast
I set mine on a very large STRONG towel, making sure that the towel was wider than the set . This allows it to wrap around the TV so it doesn't slide out on one side or the other. One person on each side, wrap the towel corners around your hands. The person at the bottom when going up or down had the set would have the TV leaning on them using their arms as guides. Yes, they get the brunt of the load, but it worked like a charm.

I laid the TV on it's tube to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. Probably not good for the TV but it didn't seem to hurt it. In my case the base was toward me as it allowed for the most comfort and ease of using my arms as a guide. You can slide the TV along the floor on the towel to get it close to the stairway.

Just my 2¢

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Maybe four large guys each carring a 60 lb. load. Can't see strapping it on a wheel cart without damage. Or alternative, call movers and they send two monsters to manhandle it downstairs.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
I have a Sony WegA 32" and needed

to move it out of an Armoire. It only weighed around 200 lbs but still difficult.
I made a platform the same height and slip it out, then two big peoplel lifted it off.

In your case moving it down th stairs. It depends on how many people you have to help. First wrap it in a blanket or carpet pieces as alread suggested.
Second put (tape down securely) some cardboard or carpet on your stairs to make it slide easier and smoother.

If the is something tou can tie off on that can hold 240 lbs you can use a rope and pulley to lover down 9 or a car come-along winch. Each rope on the pulley will take an equal amount of weight if you get it down to four ropes and a fifth to change direction then you are only handling 60 lbs and it is very easy.

Down at the bottom you can move pretty easily 240 lbs with a dolly.

Also remember gravity is your friend; it is much easier to go down than up.

Good luck.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I have a 36 inch sony wega tube tv that weighs about 240 pounds. I got it into my first floor house barely. Any suggestions on how to move it safely down the steps to the basement? If sure some of you have some good (and bad) stories about trying to move large sets.
It will take preparation, but it can be done fairly easy. Are the stairs to the basement finished (do they look good?) Let's assume not, rip a piece of plywood (1/2") about 30" wide (your steps should be at least 36") use drywall screws to temporarily fasten plywood to steps (you see where I'm going? You're building a ramp.) Get the TV up to the ramp, you can drag the TV using a thick towel, once up on the ramp (don't remove towel) you can slowly guided down the ramp till you get to the basement floor. Once on the basement drag it to new location, use a strong buddy or two to heave ho unto stand.

If stairs are finished, you must protect stairs first by putting down thick towels or a mover's cloth (they're the ones that are quilted and thick, you can get them where they rent U-Haul, then lay plywood on top.

I've used the towel method before to move heavy items without screwing up my wood floors with great success.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Me and another pretty strong guy managed to carry my 200lb tube through two dorrways and set it up in my room, but it was no picnic. I mashed my finger pretty good setting it down, too. I am not concerned about it getting stolen, though!:p

flexodude

flexodude

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the suggestion so far.

What if I cut a board the same size as the base, put this on the bottom and wrap two moving straps around. Then put this on a blanket, as suggested in Post#2. I'm worried that it might become a sled so the person up top could use a rope to prevent this from happening once we get to the stairs.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Cardboard...

Each time I moved my old 200 pound 36" tube tv I just slid it on a large piece of cardboard. It will glide across the floor fairly easily once you get it moving. For stairs, turn the tv sideways and make sure a piece of cardboard is taped to the screen to prevent damage. I've moved mine on my own, but it was easier with a friend to assist.

On my own I got in front of the tv and braced myself, then slid it down slowly, one step at a time. Make sure to push the leading edge into each step so the tv doesn't go for a sled ride with you in front. If you have a buddy, just throw anything soft (rolled sheet, tie down strap, etc) around the front and have him work it from behind like a set of horse reigns.

If you have hardwood floors, they may scratch if you slide it across them. I've used an old skateboard to roll tv's across those and concrete, even a half a block down from where I parked to the house.

Good luck

Jack

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
use pulley

Thanks for the suggestion so far.

What if I cut a board the same size as the base, put this on the bottom and wrap two moving straps around. Then put this on a blanket, as suggested in Post#2. I'm worried that it might become a sled so the person up top could use a rope to prevent this from happening once we get to the stairs.
That is why i was suggesting a pulley. Or you could use another moving stap and let it out a little at a time

<<<------rope--------------\
..........................................|
.............................(pulley)...|--- towel or rope person to anchor puller
..........................................|
Big TV-----------------------/

this reduce the force to 1/2.
Since you are sliding at an angle you force will not be the full 240 lbs anyway.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
My suggestion is to upgrade to a flat panel:D
What will you do when it goes belly up in the basement? Another arduous trip up the stairs? :D

Haoleb

Haoleb

Man oh man. All the time spent thinking about it it could have just been down there already. What ever happened to good ole muscle? :eek:

Get a 6 pack. Go ask your neighbor. Drink a beer each before while you look at it on the floor. Move it. Have two more while watching it. End of story...:D

Last edited:
Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I'd wrap the SOB in cardboard to prevent damage and move it with a dolly or two wheel cart.
I do like Jack Hammer's suggestion. I moved a washing machine myself that way. Last minute surprise for my girlfriend. I lived through it. Not sure if I was smart or lucky.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
3-4 big people + beer = easy moving.

of course, move the tv first before consuming beer :)

seriously though, our 34" tube tv's are easily moved by two people, the 3rd person will move things out of the way, keep the tv from bumping the door jambs and stuff and carry "some" weight from the side.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Of course the best solution: pay somebody to do it for you.

flexodude

flexodude

Junior Audioholic
Man oh man. All the time spent thinking about it it could have just been down there already. What ever happened to good ole muscle? :eek:

Get a 6 pack. Go ask your neighbor. Drink a beer each before while you look at it on the floor. Move it. Have two more while watching it. End of story...:D
Neighbor is way to old, wife is strong, but not that strong, so cardboard and blanket is the say I'm going to go.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I wouldn't recommend a two man lift because it subjects each person to 120 pounds each and is a prescription for back problems. A four man lift is much more feasible without back damage. Can you and one neighbor bench press 120 lbs each, and that is not even considering load on the back. Do remember to lift with your legs to keep the load off your back.

flexodude

flexodude

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't recommend a two man lift because it subjects each person to 120 pounds each and is a prescription for back problems. A four man lift is much more feasible without back damage. Can you and one neighbor bench press 120 lbs each, and that is not even considering load on the back. Do remember to lift with your legs to keep the load off your back.
I moved to London 3 years ago and the hardest thing to move was the 36 incher. You have to balance 120lbs in one hand, while steadying it with the other.

I've gotten smarter over the years, that why I came to you folks for the answers.
:eek:

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
I like simple machines. First try an inclined plane. If that doesn't work....

Catapult.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

I used the sliding on cardboard method to move my tv 4 times, twice on my own, twice with a (1) friends help. I've also used my old skateboard to move several other heavy items, if you have a piano dolly, $20 at home depot, it'll work better, but my skateboard was already here.

BTW, I also moved my 200lb elliptycal and my 300lb+ treadmill down the stairs on my own the same way. Just make dam* sure you brace yourself and lean into it sideways with your shoulder on every step. Place both of your feet on a different step. If you use your full backside with both feet on the same step, it will push under you and if you're lucky you'll only go for a ride not get ridden over. Don't Don't let it start sledding or you will get run over and hurt.

Jack

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis