fitting power plug behing wall mount flat screen

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
Hi,

I'm having difficulty finding a power cable that will fit in the small space between my wall outlet and my wall-hung flat screen. I believe I need a right angle plug on the wall jack side, but am having alot of trouble finding what I would have thought was a very common item.

I did find an rca cord - part number : RCAFA3PC that MAY work, but can't get a picture anywhere of what's on the other end - to be sure it can fit into the TV as well...

Thanks very much in advance,
Scott

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
What's the model number of your display? As an option, sometimes the outlet is recessed in the wall...though this is admittedly more work.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
I bought a : Samsung LNT4661F 46" 1080p LCD HDTV ~many thanks to this group for helping choose this awesome unit. I have it attached to a wall with a standard peerless universal mount, non tilting.

I know there are a number of ways I could extent tv furthur from wall, but the layout of my house makes the TV wall a pathway to kithcen, so I don't want it sticking out anymore just for the sake of fitting the darn cord!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
They make skinny surge protectors with right or left angles that I used behind my plasma.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
amazon,and many other sources I've checked, have flat heads, but none I've seen have a flat head AND an end recepticle that will fit into the TV directly. I guess I'm being picky...but it would be nice to have a singel short cable to do the job.

Audioholics should engineer these and sell'm!

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've seen computer power cords that had right angles on both ends before. I couldn't find any when I searched online, must be a special name for it. For under $5 you can get a 1 foot flat headed extension cord and plug your current cable into it. It's going to be behind your tv and out of site. That would be a lot cheaper than buying the Monster cable or an unseen one that may not fit. I cable is nice, but you are not going to be able to see it. ie, out of sight out of mind (with cash left over).

Jack

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
for anyone following, or searching this ;ost in the future, I was unable to find a simple cord that had both 90 degree "heads". Even searched cord-only web sites that probably had 1200 different types of power cords - crazy!

I ended up getting an angle plug from home depot. I'll slice off the origional head and wire it together. $4.50.

Maybe the cord exists and I just can't fint it; In any case, it seems to be an oversight of Samsung to have had to go throguh all this.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I'm wondering about the non tilt feature. A neighbor mounted his flat panel with a non tilt mount and he said it is impossible to get at any of the cabling back there. My plasma took all my $$$ and left none for a mount bracket, so I built a nice mantle shelf to hold it. All the cables go into the wall and come out by the baseboard, and I have plenty of room to access the cables......
would the tilt feature have allowed a plug to fit in there?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
That is what is nice about the Panasonic Plasma's....

The power chord plugs in vertically up and into the back... not sticking out

That and the recessed outlet, all is golden....

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I'm wondering about the non tilt feature. would the tilt feature have allowed a plug to fit in there?
Yes.
I have two sets, both on tilt mounts.
I didn't have any problems with any of the plugs or cabling.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
From what I've seen, the tilting mounts do come out a bit further from the wall to accomidate the hinging hardware. This would allow you to fit your cables better, but at the expense of the slim factor.

I'm the one who started this thread, and I should mention that the peerless flat, non-tiltable universal mount I used actually included two sets of rails: thin and fat. I could have solved this whole issue by using the fatter rails - thier purpose is to space TV further from the wall.

But, like I said, I wanted tv as close to wall as I could; in my house, one can see the TV from the side when entering room.

I'm happy with my solution of making my own 90 degree cable by wiring in a home depot 90 degree plug to the stock samsung plug. And if you arn't as cheap as I am, there are links in preceeding msgs to AR and monster cables designed to be very snug to wall.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis