Very basic amplification of Coaxial Digital Audio output

P

PeterA11

Audiophyte
I purchased a Sharp Aquos LCD TV, which I will be mounting inside a bathroom wall behind glass -- so its internal speakers will not be usable.

I want to pipe the sound into two basic wall-mounted speakers, which are also built into the wall.

I thought I could do this with a very simple amp that takes RCA left and right output from a TV, amplifies it, and puts the output to the left and right speakers (I actually bought one of these basic boxes for about $40).

When I tried to install it, I realized that the only audio output from the Acquos is digital -- a single-wire coaxial digital audio output.

My question -- what is the simplest way to take a coaxial digital audio signal from the TV, amplify it, and put it through two stereo speakers? Clearly, I could buy a full digital receiver, but that would take a lot of space and would be overkill. Is there a simple solution?

Thanks.

Peter

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
What's the source for that TV? Do they have analog outputs?

What model TV is that? I'm surprised it doesn't offer any analog outputs.

P

PeterA11

Audiophyte
It's a Sharp Aquos LC-26SH12U

It only has two audio outputs: coaxial digital audio, and optical digital audio. I too was surprised that it did not have an analog audio output. Unfortunately, I bought it a few months back on eBay, so I am stuck with it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It only has two audio outputs: coaxial digital audio, and optical digital audio. I too was surprised that it did not have an analog audio output. Unfortunately, I bought it a few months back on eBay, so I am stuck with it.
Your best hope is to use and external DAC. I can't find a cheap one. It might be cheaper to find an old receiver to do it.

The other possibility, may be a tech could add a set of audio outputs. I doubt that would be difficult. Is the unit out of warranty?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with this.

It might be cheaper to find an old receiver to do it./QUOTE]Large or not, it most likely is the most cost-effective way to go. Even with a DAC you would need an amplifier as well.

That's quite a glaring omission from a TV, IMNSHO. Does it have a headphone jack at least?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Digital receiver

One of the panasonic receivers with digital amp stage is pretty compact and might work well for your application. Double check the bottom and side of the TV to look for an analog output.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Do you have a multizone receiver? It sounds like you are doing a pretty detailed installation. If you do have a multizone receiver, and not all the zones are being used you could run the coaxial output to it (you would have to make a longer cable and other things might need done to make it work over the longer distance). Then you could use the receiver or zone preout to amplifier to power the speakers. How is the TV getting it's source? Are you using satalite, cable with no box, antenna?

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I'm assuming this is a smaller Sharp LCD. Some of those do not have analog audio outputs as you have discovered. It makes no sense to me.

THIS will do what you need and work with the amp you have.

P

PeterA11

Audiophyte
Thanks!

Hi ho --

Thanks! This converter you suggested looks perfect.

Have a great day.

Peter

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis