mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Actually, these are my two-and-a-half systems. I own all this equipment so when I'm going to move in a couple of months my mom's gonna have nothin :|

To make the story short. I'm 22, I live in Quebec, Canada (near Ottawa). I'm now done with my studies and looking for a job in my field (police) and an appartment. So now I'm staying at mom's place.

1. One of my systems is in the family room in the basement. The room is oddly shaped and there is nothing to do with putting the stuff in other placements. MAF is 100% ruling here (Mother Approval Factor lol). This system is for sale by the way.

Consisting of:
- Toshiba CinemaSeries 52" DLP rear projection TV
- Yamaha HTR-5740 receiver
- Some Toshiba 1080i up-converting DVD player
- PolkAudio speakers (Rti8, Csi3, Fxi3)
- Velodyne DPS-10B subwoofer.

2. The other one and a half system is in my bedroom. The reason why I call it that way is that everything is wired together. Computer, sound systems and tv. Actually there is 10K$ worth of electronic equipment here lol. I use that system mainly for music listening on my computer and watching dvds on my tv. A picture is worth a thousand words:

Consisting of:
- Custom built computer (E6600 Core 2 Duo @2.4 Ghz, 2gb ram, 7600GT, ViewSonic VX922 19" LCD screen)
- 46" Sony 46V2500 LCD TV (1080p)
- NAD C320BEE Integrated Stereo Amplifier
- Energy C-100 bookshelves
- Yamaha HTR-6190 (RX-V1800 equivalent) used as a switch right now, awaiting the Energy Reference Conoisseur speakers line (RC-70, RC-LCR, RC-R)

Better pictures will be taken with appropriate lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Very nice, very nice. I like your set-ups. That's a nice computer desk, too.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Agreed, very nice.
I will add, quite clean looking setup (with only minimal wires showing).:)
Great equipment choices.;)

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
The wires are showing a lot because of the flash. I can assure you that you don't even notice them when you're in front!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Looking good! Those Energy's really suite that monitor well!

SheepStar

Kashex

Kashex

Enthusiast
are your comp speakers sitting on CD cases as stands? just wondering.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
are your comp speakers sitting on CD cases as stands? just wondering.
HAHAHA I've just been caught! lol That's the first thing I saw when I had to level those to my ears. It's been serving me fairly well since! :p Oh well... a student's budget makes a man to use things here and there. I do what I can.

Talking about my budget... it's nada. I JUST came back from my local futureshop and got those beautiful Energy RC-70s (Reference Conoisseur's flagship speakers). Oh my god am I excited. I'll wait 6 days for christmas before opening the boxes though. It'll make things even more exciting. Besides, I ordered the black ash finish and the manager did a mistake while ordering them. They cost a bit more in rosenut but I made him do them at the same price. I had to max out my credit card along with my girlfriend's credit card plus empty the change pot in my car (9.24$) lol. Finally got to get out of there with my speakers! Boy am I happy but geez I'm poor and I owe a lot of money lol.

I'll get some pics for you on the 25th! :p

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hahahahahaha! Technoviking is the best!

(NSFW)

SheepStar

Last edited by a moderator:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Why didn't you pick up the RC's when you where employed there? I hope you got a decent deal. Also when you set up the RC's give us a 2 channel comparison with the RTi8's;). I for one would love to read your opinion.
Best wishes, Billy p:)

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Why didn't you pick up the RC's when you where employed there? I hope you got a decent deal. Also when you set up the RC's give us a 2 channel comparison with the RTi8's;). I for one would love to read your opinion.
Best wishes, Billy p:)
5 days to go! :p I already know what the major difference will be. I heard the C series (my brother-in-law's C-500) A-B'ing on my Yamaha receiver and the difference was big enough. More neutral as the Rti's are really accentuated in the highs. The image, somewhat a little thinner, was better with the energy. For the first time of my life I listened to a movie in 2-channel mode (300), and I liked it. You could pinpoint exactly where the voices were coming from on the screen, something that wasn't that good on the Rti's. The wow effect was bigger with those though (notably Transformers). BUT, hands down on the Energy's for the music. Even at high SPL, I can sustain my rock/metal music and "relax" :p something I wasn't able to do with my other pair of floorstanders (too harsh). All-in-all, a small minus on the wow effect but I'm gaining a lot of SQ. Bigger amp (just bough a new Yamaha), more drivers, better imaging, better dynamics.

...wish I could fall asleep only to wake up 5 days later :p

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah

I auditioned the Rti8's and they where good speakers, but not for me. As you have mentioned above the C's seemed a little less forward and to my ears they lacked the overall dynamics of the Polks, as well! The C's did exhibit a decent balance and overall sound, but I wasn't wooed by them either. However, the RC's IMO are in a different league. You're a lucky son of a gun;).

Take care, Billy P:)
PS: The other day the 70's where on sale for $1200.00 @ FS. I can't explain, how difficult that deal was to pass up:(.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
PS: The other day the 70's where on sale for $1200.00 @ FS. I can't explain, how difficult that deal was to pass up:(.
I don't understand either. I worked there, I often buy there so I know the manager very well and he coudln't go under 1300$. He has to sustain a 23% markup (company rule when dealing speakers). That's a heck of a deal anyways for a 2500$ pair of speakers! :p

By the way, I totally agree with you as for the polks, C series and RC series. I own a pair of C-100 for my computer; good enough. I wouldn't go to the RC-10 yet. Still better than the 5.1 Altec Lansing I had before. Say no to drugs and satellite speakers! lol

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Hey guys. It's been a couple of months now and I've added some gear:

1. Changed cable company from Bell ExpressVu to Videotron so I got the only option in there now: a piece of sh!t Scientific Atlanta - the worst cable box I've ever seen. At least I got HD now.
(SA 4250HD)

2. Added a center channel speaker. That thing is a beauty and sounds SO good. I feel a nice kick of bass with only one speaker in my 13x13 room (back ported speaker).
(Energy RC-LCR)

3. PS3. Finally took the plunge as I was confident enough that HD-DVD was going bye bye at that point. Got it only for the movies but now I got hooked to NHL08 :cool:
(40gb PS3)

4. External hard drive. I was getting sick of transfering my mp3s on the ps3's hard drive so I got a usb one instead. The yellow vertical stripe glows when it's being used.
(Seagate ProAgent 250gb)

N.B. My camera is not that good so the pics don't really give justice.

With flash (weird):

General shot:

Last edited:
The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Killer set up(s), I think it's funny how many of us have a "main" system and a "gaming" system.
Your mom must love those carpet spikes on your towers in the main room lol :eek:.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis