QAM/ATSC HD tuner for projector?

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I'm thinking about getting an HD tuner so I can get some HD content on my projector. I don't subscribe to digital cable so I need a standalone tuner. Is there such a thing anymore? I can't seem to find any that have a QAM tuner in it for receiving the signals from my cable company.

J

jfaudio

Enthusiast
I'm thinking about getting an HD tuner so I can get some HD content on my projector. I don't subscribe to digital cable so I need a standalone tuner. Is there such a thing anymore? I can't seem to find any that have a QAM tuner in it for receiving the signals from my cable company.
Hi, did you find out what you were looking for ? I m in the same position as you now, looking for a QAM/ATSC (/NTSC) tuner.
I have found only 1 model that looks to match this requirements :
http://www.epvision.com/ look for phd-205.

Thanks,
JF

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You might want to go to google and search on "standalone ATSC tuner". You just might find what you are looking for.

If you don't subscribe to cable, you don't need QAM. That's only neded for cable.

For OTA you need ATSC for digital and HD. They usually throw in NTSC for analog as well.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Most HD satellite receivers (DSS) have built in ATSC terrestrial tuners. I use a Sony SAT-HD200 for my stuff and it works fine.

You can pick them up on eBay from various manufacturers for next to nothing...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=sony+hd200&sacat=-1&catref=C6&sargn=-1&saslc=2&sadis=200&fpos=22079&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search
Some of those satellite receivers will work on their own as a HD tuner without an active satellite subscription, but some models need to be active. Several Directv models fit this description as needing a directv subscription to be able to use the tuner part. So FWIW, check to see if the ones you find will work before buying. The cheapest models you can find on ebay are the one that need either an active subscription or an active card inserted. I got tired of bidding on the old satellite receivers which were going for close to $80 a lot of times if the tuner has DVI or HDMI (few had HDMI), and just bought a new Samsung DTB-H260F ATSC/QAM tuner, it was more money but I knew it would work, had HDMI, and had a QAM tuner which few satellite recievers do. QAM is for picking up the local HD signals that cable companies send out over the cable lines for free.
Brad

rdb4133

rdb4133

Audioholic Intern
I would have to agree with No. 5 (The Samsung QAM/ATSC box) on that also if you want a stand-alone without a Cable/Sat subscription. But if you do have either Cable or Sat it probably would just be better to get HD service with a box through them :)

T

tz4689

Audiophyte
QAM Tuner

I think (Samsung particular) some of the new DVD recorders have a built-in ATSC/QAM tuner with the HDMI out for less than $200

L

lennyd

Audiophyte
just bought a new Samsung DTB-H260F ATSC/QAM tuner, it was more money but I knew it would work, had HDMI, and had a QAM tuner which few satellite recievers do.
Brad
Yes, the DTB-H260F SAMSUNG is fine for over the air or cable reception. What isn't fine is it's HDMI connection doesn't play well with others! A recent hookup with a Yamaha RX-V3800 with 1.3a HDMI is causing handshake issues. The Sammy will show a picture okay, but when you switch back to it from, say the On Screen Display or even another input, you get a green screen YUK. A few plays with the input buttons and all is well, it will resync. However this Sammy is going back, unacceptable in my mind. The Samsung SIR-160 direct tv receiver found cheap on the 'Bay works without issue via DVI/HDMI cable. I suspect this may be because Direct TV would download firmware updates via their sat whenever one came out. The H260F has to be sent back to Sammy for a firmware upgrade.

By the way, I did e-mail tech support at Sammy about having the firmware upgrade done, no response whatsoever after 5 days tell me they must not need my business.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
I think (Samsung particular) some of the new DVD recorders have a built-in ATSC/QAM tuner with the HDMI out for less than $200
True, but I haven't seen one yet that passes the HD signal to the TV, only SD.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
All spiders are bugs but not all bugs are spiders.

True, but I haven't seen one yet that passes the HD signal to the TV, only SD.
A HD tuner is a different animal from a digital tuner. True, a HD signal is broadcast over a digital channel, but not all stations that broadcast in digital are HD broadcasts. Most are plain ole 480i 4:3. You'll find this out when using an outside antenna with a digital tuner.

But, a HD signal must ride over a digital signal.

For some options here, google "standalone HD tuners" and play with the results. They are out there.

Last edited:
zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Sure that was my point. No current DVD recorders that have a built in digital tuner will pass a HD signal; they are just SD digital tuners. Wish they would pass HD.

I too have had HDMI issues w/ my newest Samsung. It doesn't play nice w/ my Sony HDTV, or maybe the Sony doesn't play nice w/ the player... Sadly though, that Samsung is still one of the best available right now, but it does leave some to be desired. The forums over at AVS have extensive threads about HD tuners if anybody wants more detailed info, lots of it there.
Brad

S

Smarty-pants

Audiophyte
www (dot) epvision (dot) com

Integrates atsc, ntsc, digital, qam. Not the best tuner, but good for the price. Extensive discussion on it at AVS. There is NO other tuner on the market that has atsc, ntsc, and qam all in one tuner that outputs HD.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
www (dot) epvision (dot) com

Integrates atsc, ntsc, digital, qam. Not the best tuner, but good for the price. Extensive discussion on it at AVS. There is NO other tuner on the market that has atsc, ntsc, and qam all in one tuner that outputs HD.
Well... if you aren't just Mr. Smarty-pa... oh... nevermind. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis