Denon AVR 3805 Remote control

D

Drummo

Enthusiast
The remote which came with the unit has become faulty and stops working for a few days and then decides to work again.
I am trying to replace the unit but have been told to go for the remote which comes with the newer AVR3806-the RC1024, however one of the service guys at the denon distributor said that may not work as the rc1024 may not work all the functions on my amp. He said that he wasn't 100% sure. Does anyone know if this is the case.

Thanks

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
It's likely.

I'm using the remote for my Denon 2900 on a much older model, and all works fine except the zoom...not a problem for me on my 2nd player.

If you have to purchase a new remote, you may want to consider a programmable. I have a Pronto, but Harmony and a couple others make real affordable ones. Try this site to investigate:
http://www.remotecentral.com/

D

Drummo

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply John. The Denon stockist said the AVR 3805 was Denons first real LED remote and had quite a few bugs. When they changed to the AVR 3806 they revamped the remote to make it more reliable. He said he was happy to sell me either but had a lot of problems with the earlier model.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the reply John. The Denon stockist said the AVR 3805 was Denons first real LED remote and had quite a few bugs. When they changed to the AVR 3806 they revamped the remote to make it more reliable. He said he was happy to sell me either but had a lot of problems with the earlier model.
Hmmmm...a dilemna indeed. Depending on the price, you may still want to consider the programmable...for an extra $40.00 or so you get a lot more bang for your buck, and can control all equipment with one remote.

And as if your statement isn't proof positive, companies are notorious for doling out mediocre remotes. Before spending a handful of cash, you may want to know exactly what won't work in the replacement remote...it may be critical. My $0.02. Cheers.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I bought my 3805 at a soundtrack that was going out of business. Didn't have the remote, so I picked up a Harmony 676 and downloaded all the codes from the internet. Works great. I would forgo the Denon remote completely and get a universal as has been suggested.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
URC remote

I have one of the URC remotes which works great, but you have to learn most of the commands via a functioning OEM remote. In your case, get a Harmony remote that has the web programming interface.

D

Drummo

Enthusiast
Thanks for that gents, appreciate it. I think I will do down the iniversal path, now to decide which one.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for that gents, appreciate it. I think I will do down the iniversal path, now to decide which one.
I have the 3805 and purchased the Harmony 880 universal remote. Needless to say the 880 was only used for a week and put back in the box and now sits in the cupboard, I prefer the 3805's remote.

cheers:)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I have the 3805 and purchased the Harmony 880 universal remote. Needless to say the 880 was only used for a week and put back in the box and now sits in the cupboard, I prefer the 3805's remote.

Hmmmmm. To each his own.:)

Let me state that I have never had a Harmony, but I did look into them before purchasing my Pronto. Harmony's are pretty well-revered over at RemoteCentral by those that use them. There is a lot of support for them as well. Did you download the latest software and firmware updates before configuring Macca?

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Hmmmmm. To each his own.:)

Let me state that I have never had a Harmony, but I did look into them before purchasing my Pronto. Harmony's are pretty well-revered over at RemoteCentral by those that use them. There is a lot of support for them as well. Did you download the latest software and firmware updates before configuring Macca?
Yes I used the latest updates, but that was about 6 months, or so, ago so there may be newer updates. Basically I found it took longer to setup since the presets for devices were ridiculous(the 3805 had about 18 pages of buttons on the lcd screen) they needed to have an option to just use the standard buttons from the original remote, and to re enter all the codes through the program just took forever. It also took longer to operate components than the 3805's remote. I was disappointed because I read all the reviews and it seemed like a great remote.

But as you said, 'each to their own', one size doesn't fit all and remotes are a personal preference item. I just thought I'd add my 2cents.

I might get it out and give it another go

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
That is one of the complaints with the 880. Some say it is not intuitive, and there is a learning curve to programming it.

I went through the same thing with my Pronto a few years ago. But I worked through it, and I now love it. I'm not a diehard like some of them over at RemoteCentral, but I have nothing but praise for that site. Lots of info, help, news and downloads. I also bought my Pronto out of necessity, as the unit did not arrive with a remote, and the Denon Aktis supplied with the 5803 was a notorious dog of a remote.

I'll have to admit, once you've mastered the programming, it can get fun to perfect it even more, and just play around with it a bit. I've always seen the remote as a tool to get the equipment to operate with ease. Some of them at remote take it to the extreme, and see the remote as a piece of equipment to operate (and why not, with some of them running $1,500.00?). If you haven't visited the site Macca, give it a try. If you have, you may want to consider dusting off that old 880, and, on a rainy day, get over that learning curve. BTW, I've got some family in Sydney and the Calliope region (Diglum...BIG town:). Cheers mate.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Even after I worked out the program and set up the remote the best way I could I still found that simply changing the device you're operating took an extra step. In the end I just found it simpler and easier to use the 3805's remote(I really like the layout and way it works). But I'll get it out and give the 880 another whirl.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis