Onkyo HDMI 1.3 Receiver

3x10^8

3x10^8

Audioholic
Not a bad price for an HDMI ver. 1.3 receiver ($399.99).

* HDMI V1.3 repeater (2in/1out, 1080p compatible)
* HDMI video up-conversion with DCDi technology
* Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD decoding
* XM and Siruis Radio Ready
* Faroudija DCDi Edge Technology

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=87018#

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just FYI, Amazon.com has it for the same total price. Both Amazon and Onecall are out of stock, though.

A

arevee

Junior Audioholic
Question

Hi guys,

Can you please reply in layman language: Will this receiver upscale composite/s-video/component all to HDMI 1080P? All I have to do is connect my progressive scan DVD player to the HDMI in on this? Is that all?:confused:

What are the alternatives to this receiver in a smilar price range (other brands) Thanks for any input!

RV

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
RV,

Sorry, but no, this model won't upscale to 1080p from lower resolution sources. For Onkyo, only the 875 and 905 models will do that, and they are quite a bit more expensive. It will pass 1080p, though, so if your DVD player sends it a 1080p signal, it will pass that on to your TV.

Adam

EDIT: I'd like to clarify something. It will upconvert composite/s-video/component to HMDI. It will also deinterlace, so it can take 480i to 480p (and I'm guessing 1080i to 1080p). However, it won't upscale - for example, it won't scale a 480p signal to a 1080p signal.

Last edited:
A

arevee

Junior Audioholic
Thanks Adam!

So when is there a need to connect DVD component-out to the receiver and output from receiver HDMI to the TV? Can we not directly connect DVD component-out to the TV if there is no upscaling? Does this type of connection have any specific purpose?

Also, is this a similar receiver? Pioneer VSX-917V-K

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4171343

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
So when is there a need to connect DVD component-out to the receiver and output from receiver HDMI to the TV? Can we not directly connect DVD component-out to the TV if there is no upscaling? Does this type of connection have any specific purpose?
It's mostly a convenience issue. Connecting all of your video equipment to the receiver and then having one signal going from the receiver to the TV allows you to switch video sources on the receiver (instead of on the TV). Because you're switching audio sources on the receiver already, it's nice to have the video switch with it.

Also, someone might have an older DVD player that has component video outputs but no HDMI output, even though they might have just purchased a new TV with HDMI inputs. Perhaps they just want one cable, the HDMI, running to their TV that they just mounted on the wall. What to do? In walks the Onkyo (or equivalent).

Also, is this a similar receiver? Pioneer VSX-917V-K

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4171343
I apologize, but I'm heading to work and don't have time to compare them in detail. My guess is that the Pioneer 1017 model would be closer. I have a 1015 from a couple of years ago. It's a nice unit. If I were to buy one this year (which I will do if I get a new TV because my Pioneer doesn't have HDMI), I'd get an Onkyo. Their line-up is really pretty good this year compared to the competition. Nothing against Pioneer, though, as I like the one that I have.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Don't rely on a receiver to take a 480i dvd signal and expect a 1080p result on your new flat screen. The best picture will always be HD or Blu-ray DVD directly to flat screen - bypassing the receiver. Paying a premium for a receiver that has an impressive processor is wasteful, in that you can simply feed the signal directly to the flatscreen without any loss of signal.

My advice - go with an older model receiver and purchase a 1080p dvd player and run it directly to the flat screen. You'll have one extra step with the audio feed to the receiver. So what. You still have to manually put the dvd in the player. While you're at it, turn the audio to HD/DVD and enjoy the flick. ;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
BF1, I was thinking that you were considering getting the 875. Of course, my memory could be off, but if I'm right...why was that? Is there something besides the video abilities of the 875 that attracted you to it?

The 805 is looking better and better to me, but it's late, and I can't remember why I was wanting the 875.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
BF1, I was thinking that you were considering getting the 875. Of course, my memory could be off, but if I'm right...why was that? Is there something besides the video abilities of the 875 that attracted you to it?

The 805 is looking better and better to me, but it's late, and I can't remember why I was wanting the 875.
Adam,

I was considering the 875, and a good friend gets equipment as cost which is a blessing in disguise. After reading more and more at AVS, I've decided the video processing isn't as important to me as pure sound. Someone posted purchasing a new Onkyo and Rotel AVR at the same time, and rushing to return the Onkyo because of a lack of fidelity. I'm too sound oriented to let video ruin my love of audio. No amount of video processing can make up for quality audio. I'll go old school before committing to video processing.

Heck, I might as well have him get me a 1080p dvd player or Playstation 3 at cost and go separates - right?

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Blessing in disguise? More like blessing in plain view. :) That's awesome that you can get deals like that.

If you don't mind me asking, are there any audio electronics that have your eye instead of the 875? I don't have a discerning ear like some, but I'm with you that I'd rather have my AVR or separates do good audio. After all, like you said, I could always plug my video source directly into my TV.

Thanks.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Blessing in disguise? More like blessing in plain view. :) That's awesome that you can get deals like that.

If you don't mind me asking, are there any audio electronics that have your eye instead of the 875? I don't have a discerning ear like some, but I'm with you that I'd rather have my AVR or separates do good audio. After all, like you said, I could always plug my video source directly into my TV.

Thanks.
I don't have my eye on anything in particular other than eliminating obvious AVR's like Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, HK, etc... I am going to step up to something like Rotel, Parasound, etc... I've found in the last 20 years sound getting too numb, or lifeless. Even the older transistor amps have more life to them than these new units.

I liken the difference to a "throaty" Mustang GT automobile with duals to a newer Mitsu Evo Revolution with similar HP. Both have similar results, but there is a difference in the means to the end. I'm the guy who appreciates the means, rather than the end result.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, Buckeyefan. I appreciate your opinion on this. I may soon fall prey to separates...a new experience for me. I've purchased receivers since I was a kid.

Ahhh, the Mustang. There's someone up by me that has a newer model GT. Oh, baby. When he decides to pass me, I'm guessing that it's a thrill for both of us. That is one nice roar as it goes by.

A

arevee

Junior Audioholic
My advice - go with an older model receiver and purchase a 1080p dvd player and run it directly to the flat screen. You'll have one extra step with the audio feed to the receiver. So what. You still have to manually put the dvd in the player. While you're at it, turn the audio to HD/DVD and enjoy the flick. ;)
Sounds like sane advise! I will do the same! I got the polk RM6900 system yesterday and I am looking for a good receiver for $200 bucks...used is OK also! If anyone have one gimme a shout!:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis