Panasonic SC-HT545W : Extending length of surround speaker wire

S

scooby365

Audiophyte
Hi, I've just discovered this site I hope that somebody here might be able to help a newbie. I've purchased the Panasonic SC-HT545W Home Theatre Sound System (Wireless). The problem I have is that the wires on the surround speakers are too short, at least one is. I need to route the wire around various obstacles and this leaves me a few feet short of the cabinet I wish to stand the speaker on. Can I extend the cable somehow? If so, how is this best done as the cable doesn't come free from the speaker unit. Also, I don't want to affect the quality of sound I get today.

Another question (sorry to post 2 in one message) : is there a correct height for the front and back speakers to be positioned at? I've places the front speaker so they stand on a cabinet below the TV, and the back speakers are also at a similar height. However, I've seen some pictures where the speakers are much higher and positioned between the top and bottom on the TV.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can offer me some advice.

Great forum!

Paul

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Are the wires to be extended just normal stranded speaker wire? If so you can use butt splices or bullet splices to connect an additional wire to it. You can find splices at Home Depot or Lowes or any electrical supply type store.

Front speakers should be placed so that the tweeter is as close to your ear level when seated as possible and the surrounds should be 2-3 feet above ear level and directly to your side or slightly behind (90-110 degrees from the listening position).

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I've purchased the Panasonic SC-HT545W Home Theatre Sound System (Wireless). The problem I have is that the wires on the surround speakers are too short, at least one is.
What am I missing? If it's a wireless set-up, why do you need to extend wires?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
What am I missing? If it's a wireless set-up, why do you need to extend wires?

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

Are you sure you need wires with this set up? According to everything I can find you shouldn't have to run any wire from the receiver to the speakers

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
The "wireless" speaker systems only eliminate the wires going from the main reciever to the surrounds. They use a secondary amp thet goes to the surrounds. In actuality you end up with just as many wires as a wired system and one extra power cord plus 2 more wires for the transmitter. When I purchased a 'wireless" system a couple of years ago, I was shocked to find out how it was really more cumbersome than a traditional set-up.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
The "wireless" speaker systems only eliminate the wires going from the main reciever to the surrounds. They use a secondary amp thet goes to the surrounds. In actuality you end up with just as many wires as a wired system and one extra power cord plus 2 more wires for the transmitter. When I purchased a 'wireless" system a couple of years ago, I was shocked to find out how it was really more cumbersome than a traditional set-up.
Wow. Sounds great. Where can I get one? :rolleyes:

S

scooby365

Audiophyte
:eek: It's not so bad, honest! The cables at the front are hidden and the surround speaker cables will be hidden once I add a lil' bit more wire.

Anyway, back to the original question and answers; so I can use these splice bullets to extend the cable. Each speaker has 2 wires so do I run the 2 wires into one bullet or do I need to split the wires and put each wire into a separate bullet?

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
You need to splice the wires with seperate connectors. If you touch the two wires together your going to need more than longer wires. make sure you dont get them crossed when your splicing them together too otherwise your sound will be messed up. Soldering them together would be best. You can pick up a soldering gun for around 25 bucks at home depot etc. You can pick up a soldering iron for cheaper but it doesnt have as much power and for someone who is inexperienced in soldering a higher wattage would be best for something like this.

Butt connectors will work fine too, Just make sure you crimp them good so you have a tight connection.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis