6 ohm receiver -- 8 ohm speakers

A

automaticj5

Audiophyte
Ok all -- I have a theatre in a box set up right now -- the receiver is a Sony str-k7000.... I just got an incredible deal on 2 Genesis (g-2815) Tower speakers.... I am pretty sure my receiver is only a 6 ohms output(or whatever you'd call it)... and I know the speakers are 8ohm speakers... I connected them and as I imagined it doesnt sound as good as I think they should -- and no bass really at all... Do I have to get an 8 ohm receiver to make the speakers work to their full potential? and how big of a difference will I notice? Thank you!

nav

nav

Audioholic
Recievers and amplifiers specify a guideline minimum nominal impedance. Whatever problems exist are the fault of the speakers (you may want to do some research online before calling them an "incredible deal").

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Where exactly did you get the speakers? You might have gotten a deal, but if you got them from a "white van" the deal might not have been worth it.

I looked up the speakers and receiver there should not be too much of a problem pairing the two, while not optimal bass should be present. Those Genesis speakers looked huge...

A

automaticj5

Audiophyte
Yes -- they are about 3 feet tall, fit perfect next to my tv and stand and look the exact same... and they sound fine -- just the bass on them is nothing it sounds like a very cheap bass... could this be due to the 2 less ohms or you think the deal on the speakers wasnt such a great deal?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A 6 Ohm receiver would have no problem driving a 8 Ohm load... is easier to drive. Your receiver likely isn't a "6 ohm" nominal receiver either, they just report the 6 ohm power rating because it is higher than the 8 ohm load so it appears to have more power than it really does with normal speakers (meaning not the ones that come with it). So, without knowing what the speakers are, it is pretty much impossible to tell you if they are any good or if the problem is the receiver or speakers.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The deal on the speakers wasn't a deal, it was a scam.

Did you get them from a guy in a white van?

A

automaticj5

Audiophyte
I dont know what the reciever is -- the speakers that came with the "theatre in a box" are 6 ohms -- doesnt say what the receiver is... would an 8 ohms receiver give me more bass in the speakers...?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
no.

would an 8 ohms receiver give me more bass in the speakers...?
It's not the receiver shortchanging you on the bass. It's the speakers. They may look purty next to your TV but sound wise, they ain't as good as you think.

You didn't get speakers worth $2,200 as their web site says. You got what you paid for. Maybe less. Reread this thread.

also, do a google search on "white van speakers". this might answer your questions better.

Last edited:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I dont know what the reciever is -- the speakers that came with the "theatre in a box" are 6 ohms -- doesnt say what the receiver is... would an 8 ohms receiver give me more bass in the speakers...?
No.

The 6 ohm rating of the receiver means that it can handle loads as low as 6 ohms. It takes a better receiver to handle lower impedance speakers. An amp that can handle a 6 ohm load has absolutely no problem with an 8 ohm load.

Where did you buy these speakers?

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Now that you know you have white van specials maybe we can find a solution to your lousy bass.

I'd say being that you allready have the speakers now you need to make the best of them,yes they suck but im not so quick to blame everything on the speaker itself,you mentioned your reciever so i read the manual & it says that you can adjust the bass & trebble from the set up menu,have you tried adjusting these controls seperately from any auto set up/calibration features that you used?

Also, have you tried different speaker placement not based on looks,you can add to the bass response by putting the speakers in corners or by putting them closer to the wall,the farther out in the room you pull them the more bass you'll loose,rarely have i seen speaker placement on both sides of the tv yeild good bass results with floorstanders.

Id bet that your chosen speaker location & improperly adjusted tone controls are a huge part of the problem,i'd also bet that your tone controls are automatically set to flat right out of the box from the factory.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Most of the comments here have singled out the speakers as the problem. I found a site for Genesis speakers, but found no model 2815. Genesis seems, at first glance, to sell decent speakers. Does any one have a link to more info on the model 2815?

On the other hand, i found plenty of info on the Sony STR-K7000 receiver - none of it good. Ebay lists many of these for sale - there is probably a good reason why. Without more info about the Genesis speakers, I think the receiver is the source of the problem. It is an inexpensive HTIB receiver. Most sites did not mention rated power at all, but one site said it had 28 watts/channel :eek: !

Even by Sony's usually inflated power standards, 28 watts is unusually low. I could not find detailed power ratings for this receiver, but I suspect it is underpowered in a big way. Other Sony receivers that I am more familiar with stated their rated power at 40 Hz to 20 kHz at 6 ohms. If power was measured by the more standard 20 to 20 kHz at 8 ohms, it might be considerably lower.

I think this easily explains why the bass response is missing with the new speakers. This receiver was designed to power only small satellite speakers that will not produce any bass below ~100 Hz.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
SWERD,you found the REAL GENESIS SITE,they make kick a$$ speakers that cost 10's of thousands of dollars & rival any speaker made,ive heard several pair & they are awesome.

Here is the FAKE rip off WHITE VAN genesis site with his exact speaker,two totally different companies,one is legit & the other is a knock off.

His speakers are NOT GENESIS speakers they are GENESIS MEDIA LABS which are a notorious & well documented scam operation.

http://www.genesismedialabs.com/homeaudio.htm

Genesis Media Labs is named in this link as part of the scam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam

Last edited:
A

automaticj5

Audiophyte
Well its my buddy who got them and they were "new in the box -- sealed" And I know he wouldnt try to **** me on em he doesnt know any better -- he got em one day and then they got passed to me -- I havent bought them yet either I told him to let me try em out... I havent toggled to much with all the levels either -- so that could be another thing to help out -- I have a seperate home theatre sub connected to it right now so it gives me the bass I need for now - Jw if there was something I was doing wrong..

Just to be sure -- the connection from the speakers to the receiver is simple, I think? The speakers have 4 connections on the back -- 2 black, 2 red -- and jumpers running from 1 set to the next -- I just had to hook it up to one of the sets and then to the front speaker connection on the back of the receiver right?

Thanks again for all the responses...

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, you just hook up to one of the sets.

I wouldn't pay him more than $50 or so for them.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
His speakers are NOT GENESIS speakers they are GENESIS MEDIA LABS which are a notorious & well documented scam operation.

http://www.genesismedialabs.com/homeaudio.htm
Thanks for the link. Yes $2200 is a lot for an undocumented speaker. It looks like it might be an MTM design, one tweeter and two mids, with an added bass driver. If so, wouldn't that have impedance more like 4 ohms than 8? Probably a silly question to ask of a white van speaker.

Even if his speakers are white van ripoffs, I still think an underpowered HTIB receiver will never adequately drive what appears to be a large a 3-way speaker. If Sony rates it at 28 wpc when driving a 6 ohm load, the first thing to suffer will be bass response.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Since it seems you haven't been willing to accept what everyone is hinting at and you say you have not bought the speakers yet. It seems the resounding consensus is these speakers are not worth buying. You should give them back to your friend and tell him to find the van they came from.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Best advice yet.

Since it seems you haven't been willing to accept what everyone is hinting at and you say you have not bought the speakers yet. It seems the resounding consensus is these speakers are not worth buying. You should give them back to your friend and tell him to find the van they came from.
Don't buy 'em. If you do you'll have poor speakers and a weak receiver. Yes, you can upgrade the receiver but, trust me on this, those speakers still won't knock you out. You can't polish a turd.

Odds are that whatever speakers you have now are somewhat matched to the Sony, assuming they came in the same package. Personally, I don't know why you aren't looking at subwoofers if you want bass.

And, yes, you have them hooked up correctly.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the link. Yes $2200 is a lot for an undocumented speaker. It looks like it might be an MTM design, one tweeter and two mids, with an added bass driver.
I'd be willing to bet that whatever the grill on the side of the speaker is covering, it isn't a bass driver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis