abefroeman

abefroeman

Audioholic
why do we have HDMI, is it actually *better* than USB? it seems that USB would be the way to go for compatibility with storage devices and computers.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
A couple of reasons that HDMI was used over USB. One, bandwidth limitations and probably more importantly, eventualy HDCP will be enabled so HD material can only be sent via HDMI. Even component outputs may not support future HD material if content providers have their way. Its all about the futile attempts to prevent piracy.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
why do we have HDMI, is it actually *better* than USB? it seems that USB would be the way to go for compatibility with storage devices and computers.
Yes, if common sense prevailed, USB or something similar would be used. But USB allows making digital copies. HDMI was designed with built-in copy protection to hinder people making multiple copies of DVDs.

Other than transfer capacity and speed, I doubt if one digital transfer system method is better than another.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is far more data and information that can be carried simutaneously over a HDMI cable when compared to USB. It isn't just data rate, but separate simutanulous streams of data for different purposes.

Compare this:
http://www.converters.tv/screenshots/2168_438.html

To this:
http://www.roboternetz.de/wissen/images/8/8a/USB_Kontaktbelegung_der_Einbaubuchsen.gif

You see that HDMI is a 19 pin connection while USB is only a 4 pin connection. These extra pins are used for all sorts of added functionality including 3 layers of data transport as well as clocking data. HDMI is basically worth four or five USB connections... which is exactly what needs to be avoided.

More to the point: The added wiring provides the bandwidth necessary for full HD video transfer with HD audio.

R

rumble

Audioholic
There is far more data and information that can be carried simutaneously over a HDMI cable when compared to USB. It isn't just data rate, but separate simutanulous streams of data for different purposes.

Compare this:
http://www.converters.tv/screenshots/2168_438.html

To this:
http://www.roboternetz.de/wissen/images/8/8a/USB_Kontaktbelegung_der_Einbaubuchsen.gif

You see that HDMI is a 19 pin connection while USB is only a 4 pin connection. These extra pins are used for all sorts of added functionality including 3 layers of data transport as well as clocking data. HDMI is basically worth four or five USB connections... which is exactly what needs to be avoided.

More to the point: The added wiring provides the bandwidth necessary for full HD video transfer with HD audio.
Errr what? USB 2.0 runs at at 480Mbs. That should be more than enough bandwidth to transfer hd video and audio. Verizon and AT&T are bringing hd to home via fiber optic with much less bandwidth than this.

Don't confuse pin count with speed. Just look at hard drives in computers, they are migrating from the old 80 wire/40 pin parallel ata interface to the new faster serial ata interface that uses 4 signaling pins and a couple of ground pins.

The only thing I can see going for hdmi is all the encryption and drm. Looks great if you own a movie studio. Not so good for the rest of us.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The only thing I can see going for hdmi is all the encryption and drm. Looks great if you own a movie studio. Not so good for the rest of us.
I agree. HDMI is the biggest bill of goods sold to consumers in the last few years.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Errr what? USB 2.0 runs at at 480Mbs. That should be more than enough bandwidth to transfer hd video and audio. Verizon and AT&T are bringing hd to home via fiber optic with much less bandwidth than this.

Don't confuse pin count with speed. Just look at hard drives in computers, they are migrating from the old 80 wire/40 pin parallel ata interface to the new faster serial ata interface that uses 4 signaling pins and a couple of ground pins.

480Mbs is surely enough. For example the XBOX 360 HD-DVD drive uses a USB cable to connect the drive to the system. However, HDMI 1.3's max transfer rate is 10.2 Gbs, and I'd imagine it has more capability after that for additional bandwidth. I don't know enough about USB to make any statement about it's bandwidth capability.

Either way, we're stuck with HDMI, so it probably doesn't matter. :confused:

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Off topic, Abe, but are you indeed the sausage king of Chicago??? :D

abefroeman

abefroeman

Audioholic
Off topic, Abe, but are you indeed the sausage king of Chicago??? :D
Indeed I am!

Thats interesting about HDMI, I knew there was somthing fishy with it. The functionality of using USB over HDMI would provide so many benefits.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis