7.1 Surround and Dolby Atmos

L

Laz Baz

Audiophyte
I have a 5.1 surround setup.
I would like to add 2 more speakers to make it 7.1 setup.
I would like any suggestion and comments to the following intended setup.

1. Add speaker at ceiling level on left & right walls half way the room.
OR
2. Add up-firing Dolby Atmos speakers on top of the main left and right speakers.

Which setup would benefit better sound from Dolby Atmos films from streaming websites?
Thank you.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
7.1 is not Atmos, it implies surround and surround back. Given the choice between 7.1 and 5.1.2, I would choose the latter because to me heights have more benefits than back surrounds. this is what you are referring to, and I would go with mounted on the wall/ceiling rather than upfiring if you can.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Neither.

8 feet apart on the ceiling approximately 10 inches in front of you for a 5.1.2 Dolby atmos setup. Assuming 8 feet ceiling that is.

You are welcome!

L

Laz Baz

Audiophyte
Neither.

8 feet apart on the ceiling approximately 10 inches in front of you for a 5.1.2 Dolby atmos setup. Assuming 8 feet ceiling that is.

You are welcome!
I think I need to start from the beginning.
I have had the 5.1 system for a long time. I have now a Denon AVR S760H (I believe it is Dolby Atmos capable) and wish to add 2 more speakers but NOT in the ceiling.
I have 2 speakers on the rear wall at ear level facing forward which are 1 metre from my seating (MLP)
I need to know where I should put the 2 additional speakers.
I was thinking half way along the left and right walls at ceiling height pointing to MLP.
Will this give provide a reasonable sound stage for 5.1 films and Dolby Atmos films. I stream Netflix and Amazon video.
I would appreciate your comments suggestions.

L

Laz Baz

Audiophyte
7.1 is not Atmos, it implies surround and surround back. Given the choice between 7.1 and 5.1.2, I would choose the latter because to me heights have more benefits than back surrounds. this is what you are referring to, and I would go with mounted on the wall/ceiling rather than upfiring if you can.

I have had the 5.1 system for a long time. I have now a Denon AVR S760H (I believe it is Dolby Atmos capable) and wish to add 2 more speakers but NOT in the ceiling.
I have 2 speakers on the rear wall at ear level facing forward which are 1 metre from my seating (MLP)
I was thinking half way along the left and right walls at ceiling height pointing to MLP.
Will this give provide a reasonable sound stage for 5.1 films and Dolby Atmos films. I stream Netflix and Amazon video.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For adding just 2 height speakers (which can be on wall as you noted), that is correct. What is shown in the diagram I linked shows ceiling speakers, but the basic layout would be the same, just that your speakers will be on the wall instead of ceiling.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

For only two, I wouldn’t go half the distance of the room. Side heights will be fine unless the room is super wide.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Lighten up, it's not your house. The effect is not completely ruined if the speakers are not exactly in the optimal positions. The height speakers will enhance ANY 2.0, 5.1 or 7.1 track using the Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X upmixers.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Its funny when the Gods Of Atmos take offence to the best laid plans of Dr Dolby.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your current positioning of surrounds sounds more like positioning of rear surrounds (rear surrounds would come into play in a base layer of 7.1), can you move those out to the sides more?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If Dolby cared as much as you seem to care, they never would have licensed up firing modules, soundbars or height virtualization. It’s a f#%kin’ living room with all kinds of other wrong going on regarding sound. Now, lighten up. Then, take that other thumb of yours and…;)

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
It's all marketing crap that you mentioned.
Don't believe me then try it out.
Just like Dolby atmos for phones and on a television. They don't work well at all. Yes I've compared it with my Dolby atmos system.
Imo its a scam to trick people into buying a shoddy experience.

It's why cinemas only use speakers on the walls and ceiling. That's where they belong.

Stop trying to argue something that isn't designed and intended.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
This is why I only experiment with Atmos.
My room is very small....If I run Atmos 5.1 on my Pioneer I get the "Atmosey" stuff just channeled to my surrounds..
It actually gives a nice spacious effect in this small room..
Now, sometimes I experiment with placing speakers where Dolby wants them, or as close as I can get....it's ok.
I get to hear things ping ponging around slightly somewhere else.
To me in my environment, it's not worth the effort....but, that's just me. I sure as hell ain't gonna badmouth Atmos and invoke the wrath of Dolby's Legions.
I remember how great Dolby Noise Reduction on my cassette decks were....oh wait, I always kept it off.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, if it’s a scam, it’s Dolby’s scam. It’s their name plastered on all this s#%t for a fee. Dolby is making money hand over fist with these “gimmicks.” If anybody cares that much, they can go all in on DTS processing and boycott Dolby. If you’re gonna’ take a stand on somethin’, you gotta’ get up off your knees.;)

I do love to hear about systems that have s#%ty limited speakers in the ceiling. Go matching full band all the way around or shut the f#%k up.:)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well, if it’s a scam, it’s Dolby’s scam. It’s their name plastered on all this s#%t for a fee. Dolby is making money hand over fist with these “gimmicks.” If anybody cares that much, they can go all in on DTS processing and boycott Dolby. If you’re gonna’ take a stand on somethin’, you gotta’ get up off your knees.;)

I do love to hear about systems that have s#%ty limited speakers in the ceiling. Go matching full band all the way around or shut the f#%k up.:)
Yeah well wardog is a dumm Fukk. Don’t worry too much about him. He does the same shitt on avs and HTS. Acting all high and mighty, and attacking people. Someone will ask for advice on a tough room and he’s all like, oh you just choose not put stuff where it belongs, you just refuse to buy this that and the other thing, you’re just not willing etc and blah blah blah.
All the while acting all high and mighty from his moms 5.1.2 bedroom system. I’m sure there’s NO COMPROMISES in there. Probably NONE, like zero, like it’s probably perfect, just like he says everyone else’s room has to be.
Oh wait, no! It’s in the bedroom because he can’t do x.x.4 properly(he’s posted that so that I’m not making up).
I wish we could see it so we’d all know what a Dolby perfect room looks like. We could all aspire to its greatness!!!!! Oh yeah, pics please!!! Leave your mom out though…

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Eh, it is what it is. Different folks with different rooms will have different issues. All you can do is your best. The Denon S760H is a capable little machine. It’s virtual height features do actually work and add a little something extra. But, results will vary of course with different speakers, placement and rooms.

I’m an a$$hole and have been less than kind to some at times for one reason or another so I have no reservations about calling out an even bigger a$$hole who comes around here barking orders at strangers and saying “I told you!” as if they were their f#%kin’ boss. That’s some bulls#%t. I wish @Laz Baz the best in his endeavors. @Wardog555 can go sit on his f#%kin’ thumb.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Eh, it is what it is. Different folks with different rooms will have different issues. All you can do is your best. The Denon S760H is a capable little machine. It’s virtual height features do actually work and add a little something extra. But, results will vary of course with different speakers, placement and rooms.

I’m an a$$hole and have been less than kind to some at times for one reason or another so I have no reservations about calling out an even bigger a$$hole who comes around here barking orders at strangers and saying “I told you!” as if they were their f#%kin’ boss. That’s some bulls#%t. I wish @Laz Baz the best in his endeavors. @Wardog555 can go sit on his f#%kin’ thumb.
I’ve definitely been a dikk too. But I try and reserve that for ones who deserve it.
Wardog is pretty much like that in every post. Still waiting to see this room of his moms, I mean his so the rest of the work can know how to do Atmos the right way. Yes. I’m being a dikk now. My fukks to give are in the negative.

Edit. And you’re right, which is kind of my point. Every sing room has compromises. Even TLS guys purpose built rooms do. It’s just the nature of living spaces that double as “theaters”.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Don't be Dicks to people that are trying to help.

If you have no passion you can go somewhere else.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Don’t be a dikk to people looking for help. How’s your perfect room?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

I’m nothing if not passionate. Just ask your mom as soon as she can speak again.;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis