Can’t decide on new sub/subs

D

dhark

Junior Audioholic
Been trying to land on a new sub/subs for months and just can’t decide, analys paralysis I guess. Current setup is Denon 4200 with Polk monitor 70s and CS2 center. Couple old Cambridge Soundworks surrounds and their old PS1 powered 12” sealed sub. Room is 20’x13’ with 8’8” ceilings with perimeter soffit at 7’8” so roughly 2200 cubic feet if my calculations are correct. Viewing area is off center in room because of a built in shelve/cabinet wall, its the only spot I could place surrounds symmetrically. I don’t have a ton of options as far placing them either. Definitely looking for deep tight bass for movies not so much music, I don’t listen at crazy high volumes either don’t know if that matters.

I was hopping to keep budget at $2-2.5k for 2 subs. Originally was thinking SVS PC-2000s kinda like the small footprint. But then I got thinking 15” subs might be better, got looking at both of HSUs 15” subs but they’ve gone up in price and with shipping there not quite the value they used to be. And now I’m contemplating just getting 1 nice 15” sub such as Rythmics fv15hp or PSAs tv15h or even a Monolith version 15 or 13?

And to even further my analysis paralysis I’ve delved into the DIY world. I am a carpenter and extremely handy and have no doubts I could build and finish any of the DIY kits no problem. My only issue going DIY is I’m not very computer literate and even though I just bought a Umik-1 and got REW it’s all Greek to me and not sure I can tackle setting up a separate amp and dialing subs in. Even watching tons of YT vids just don’t know if I will able to get em right.

So I’m open to all options and opinions thanks fellas.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Is your room closed or open to other parts of the house?

D

dhark

Junior Audioholic
Is your room closed or open to other parts of the house?
Sorry I knew I’d forget something! It’s got 2 doors that are always closed and 1 open doorway opening that goes into kitchen. There are 7 windows unfortunately too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you could get away with a pair of PC2000s, tho I like where your head's at in going big. Larger subs would definitely not hurt, but at under 3000³' a pair of SVS' 2000 series ported subs should be able to handle that with little problems. Even with the opening to the kitchen.

What say you @ryanosaur? You think that opening is gonna be a big factor?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
IF you do want to look at something bigger, this Monoprice Monolith THX Utra certified 15" sub (on sale, $300 off!) is an excellent choice and not much more than the PC2000...

A pair of those will give you more than enough headroom and negate that opening to your kitchen.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A pair of those will give you more than enough headroom and negate that opening to your kitchen.
As a matter of fact, for the small difference in price that M-15 would be my choice. Provided you have the room for them. They're excellent subs.

D

dhark

Junior Audioholic
As a matter of fact, for the small difference in price that M-15 would be my choice. Provided you have the room for them. They're excellent subs.
I know, been seriously considering that particular sub especially with the sale price. There just soooo big and heavy not sure I can place 2 of those in here but you never know…….

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And to even further my analysis paralysis I’ve delved into the DIY world. I am a carpenter and extremely handy and have no doubts I could build and finish any of the DIY kits no problem. My only issue going DIY is I’m not very computer literate and even though I just bought a Umik-1 and got REW it’s all Greek to me and not sure I can tackle setting up a separate amp and dialing subs in. Even watching tons of YT vids just don’t know if I will able to get em right.
From the outside looking in REW can be intimidating for sure. I wouldn't call myself computer illiterate, but I'm pretty far from having any real computer skills and I managed to figure it out. Once you roll your sleeves up and start doing it, it all starts to make sense. You can always ask questions here too if you get stuck.

I'd be pretty interested to see what you can do with a speaker kit. I wish I had extensive wood working skills and a proper shop to work in. I'll bet you could turn out a really nice speaker. I'd recommend cutting your teeth on a 2 way design first tho. 3 way designs are inherently more complicated, but again many kits have all of the parts for the correct crossovers, and some even come already put together.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I know, been seriously considering that particular sub especially with the sale price. There just soooo big and heavy not sure I can place 2 of those in here but you never know…….
2 of those really would be a lot for your space, tho with the opening a larger sub might work out better, but I can't imagine your kitchen being much bigger than your living room and likely still come in well under 5000³' combined, yes?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The opening is more just consideration than anything else.
I think to good 15" Subs would be better than 12s, but the Mono 12" or the PC2Ks should be a good start. I think I would lean more towards the Monoliths before considering PSA or Rythmik.

OP should consider getting the best single Sub first, then saving for a second matching Sub, if possible.
Budgets are easily blown, but as we all know, good Subwoofage is an investment. Done right the first time, it can save a lot down the line.
That said, stepping up to the Monolith 15, or if he can stomach the cost, the Monolith 13s.

Right now the Mono 15v2 is on sale 1200 each.
Otherwise, the 13s for 1549 right now (slight sale there too.).

I still don't think PSA is worth it. Those pro drivers in such small cabinets... I still don't see how he is making 12 and 14Hz performance claims.

D

dhark

Junior Audioholic
2 of those really would be a lot for your space, tho with the opening a larger sub might work out better, but I can't imagine your kitchen being much bigger than your living room and likely still come in well under 5000³' combined, yes?
Yea kitchen is probably roughly the same size, so yes still under 5000 cubic feet probably closer to 4 than 5

D

dhark

Junior Audioholic
The opening is more just consideration than anything else.
I think to good 15" Subs would be better than 12s, but the Mono 12" or the PC2Ks should be a good start. I think I would lean more towards the Monoliths before considering PSA or Rythmik.

OP should consider getting the best single Sub first, then saving for a second matching Sub, if possible.
Budgets are easily blown, but as we all know, good Subwoofage is an investment. Done right the first time, it can save a lot down the line.
That said, stepping up to the Monolith 15, or if he can stomach the cost, the Monolith 13s.

Right now the Mono 15v2 is on sale 1200 each.
Otherwise, the 13s for 1549 right now (slight sale there too.).

I still don't think PSA is worth it. Those pro drivers in such small cabinets... I still don't see how he is making 12 and 14Hz performance claims.
Is the 13 that much better than the 15?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
They are. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory. Well built Subs will have heavy cabinets... this is almost unavoidable. Good bass extension requires large cabinets... this is absolutely unavoidable. The only real tradeoff is is finding cabinets made from Baltic Birch (like JTR) but that is a different level of beast.

Your best bet is bribing a good friend... do as much setup beforehand to figure out the best placement for the Subs, and have a buddy on hand to help you get them in place. Beer, Pizza, some good Whiskey and a movie that will blow you both away with Bass. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Is the 13 that much better than the 15?
Hard to say, the review was pretty stunning. As has been reported is more commonly a 15" driver, but they are measuring the actual cone diameter for some reason rather than the frame.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just food for thought:

This gentleman pointed out some holes in the monoprice consideration.

I went with SVS for the outstanding customer service.
Seems like part of his problem was he tossed the original packaging and it aggravated the situation. The lack of communication is pretty crappy tho. They replaced my Monolith 7 amplifier, user error, I fried it biamping and forgot to remove the speaker jumpers, and sent it back for them to inspect. During that process I was kept in the dark for a couple of weeks. I didn't even know if they were gonna replace it since it really was my fault. It was aggravating, but in the end they replaced it for me with no further questions.

I guess the moral is, communication isn't great, but they honored their warranty and replaced for me even tho it was completely my fault. They never even asked what I was doing when it happened. I can't complain too much.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your best bet is bribing a good friend... do as much setup beforehand to figure out the best placement for the Subs, and have a buddy on hand to help you get them in place. Beer, Pizza, some good Whiskey and a movie that will blow you both away with Bass. :D
Some cheap furniture sliders are worth their weight for moving heavy subs around. I bought some on my way to pick up my SV-1212NR and they are wonderful. Made sliding that beast around a piece of cake.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Do what many others have done before.

In home demo.

Everyone has a different room.

PSA & Rythmik > monolith all day... don't take my word for it... Demo them yourself OP.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
DSP response shaping, i.e., equalization.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis