L

Leemix

Audioholic General
More information would be good but usually old amps are just fine unless something wrong with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I

Ivkyy1

Junior Audioholic
i was thinking of buying an old amp someone and the speakers are a Wharfedale D330 ..and if the amp is 8-16 ohm and the speaker is 4, does it matter?...on speakers say (8 ohm compatible)

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
It depends on the amp and the volume you play at, 4ohm speakers draw a lot more current than 8ohm ones which may be a problem for weak amps if played loud.

I

Ivkyy1

Junior Audioholic
now i don't know how many watts an amplifier needs for 2 speakers which are 4 ohms

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Not many unless you play loud.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
But give a bit more info about what kind of amp and how old you consider.

I

Ivkyy1

Junior Audioholic
let's say onkyo A8670 from 1989..that's an example

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
That one lists 4ohm as ok in specs.

Very old amps may not last long though, they could work for a long time but amps do age.

But the most important isnt 4 or 8ohm, its how loud you play.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Here's a calculator to help you determine how much power you need for particular speakers' sensitivity at what distance http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Most amps can handle 4 ohm loads to an extent, somewhat depends on your listening levels, somewhat depends where in the frequency range the speaker operates at 4 ohm (it varies constantly with particular frequency). Some amps are rated better for 4 ohm operation (or even lower like 2 ohm) than others. Might try this article for some background https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/loudspeaker-sensitivity

Your speakers say minimum 4 ohm, nominal 8 ohm and a sensitivity of 88dB (@2.83V at 1m.....2.83V at 8 ohms is one watt, at 4 ohm that's 2 watts). Your speakers should work quite well with a variety of amps/receivers. That Onkyo should work fairly well for your/most purposes if its still in good shape.

I

Ivkyy1

Junior Audioholic
thanks for the reply but i think i will take a Denon avr 2106 amp..that would be ok too?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
thanks for the reply but i think i will take a Denon avr 2106 amp..that would be ok too?
A bit old for my taste, altho if in good functioning form should work well enough, although in its specs it doesn't indicate its intended for 4 ohm operation (it indicates 6-16 ohm particularly), but at modest levels should work just fine even at 4 ohm. Why such an old unit? Doesn't have many functions more modern avrs have....

I

Ivkyy1

Junior Audioholic
i know it's old but for rehearsal it's an amplifier..
and the speakers say 8 ohm compatible, will the sound be good? .. maybe the heater will be amplified but here it is.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i know it's old but for rehearsal it's an amplifier..
and the speakers say 8 ohm compatible, will the sound be good? .. maybe the heater will be amplified but here it is.
For rehearsal? Heater? Might be translation issues there :)

A speaker indicating it is 8 ohm compatible means little really, particularly as to how it relates to sound quality....but the sound quality should be fine, altho if pushing volume to high levels issues can manifest themselves (distortion, perhaps thermal shutdown).

I

Ivkyy1

Junior Audioholic
For rehearsal? Heater? Might be translation issues there :)

A speaker indicating it is 8 ohm compatible means little really, particularly as to how it relates to sound quality....but the sound quality should be fine, altho if pushing volume to high levels issues can manifest themselves (distortion, perhaps thermal shutdown).
I thought of heating the amplifier haha ,nothing important..mainly thank you for everything

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought of heating the amplifier haha ,nothing important..mainly thank you for everything
The "heating" of an amp can manifest itself in some avrs, and an external cooling fan can help out. If simply a class A amp, then just the design :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis