M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
People who complain about discomfort from getting a Covid test have obviously never had an endoscopic camera shoved up their nose, into their sinuses, then pulled from those sinuses, and sent into the back of their throat and it shows....
I had a colonoscopy a couple years ago. With apologies to Spock and the crew, suffice it to say, that camera boldly went where no man had gone before!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Then some of us reads statistic and "news" not exclusively from NRA and Fox News ;)
Another problem with the stats, without even mentioning the media because it doesn't involve them, is the number of shootings that are called 'accidental'. This is often mentioned as "They were cleaning the gun", but it's impossible to clean a loaded gun- more likely, the survivors don't want to say that it may have been a suicide attempt.

People are often very careless when handling weapons, even with training. Theft of weapons is common because of careless storage and there's no way to stop it unless people (gun owners) think before storing them. To many, hiding guns is the same as storing them, they just want easy access. It's a stupid idea, but it's common. Then, a kid finds a gun and someone is shot, possibly killed.

Illegal gun acquisition/possession is, by far, the main cause of shootings in the US but too many want to blame guns for the problem when it's a problem with people. Their thinking and behavior are wrong and too many minor disputes are "solved" with guns. This year, Milwaukee has surpassed the 1991 record for shooting deaths by 17% with 205, so far, and the year hasn't ended. Last year, 95 were killed.

They don't call this city 'Killwaukee' for no reason.

People are losing their damned minds. Domestic violence has increased wildly and as I'm listening to a police scanner app right now, the Police are trying to arrest someone who climbed onto a roof, threatening to shoot. Last night, someone was trying to break down the door of the mother of his baby's mother and he had threatened to shoot them. Two weeks ago, a 15 year old kid shot eight people at a shopping mall and was arrested in Illinois, about 90 miles away, with a packed bag- his lawyer wants the case to be tried in juvenile court, for a crime that is far from what a juvenile would commit. Haven't heard anything about the kid's gang activity or previous criminal activity, but they don't release info about juvenile offenders.

People are broken and they have lost the ability to control themselves.

highfigh

highfigh

Surgeon: "Time to remove the splints from your nostrils."
Me: "Is this going to hurt?"
Surgeon: "What do you think?"
Me: "Well...now I think it's going to hurt".
Surgeon: *Has me lay on my side, puts a drip try under my nose, grabs one of the splints with his forceps and yanks.*
Me: "HOLY $HIT!!!":eek:
It was pretty intense, but subsided within a few seconds, thankfully. So, yeah, the swab is nothing compared to that.
Doctor or nurse- "This won't hurt"

Patient- "It won't hurt YOU".

When I went to be tested, I asked if they would be touching my brain, after seeing Gene's comment about his tests. I'm glad she didn't laugh like some kind of evil villain.

highfigh

highfigh

I watched part of a video last night of a government body, where I didn't see a single mask worn by those who were at the podium or anyone walking past as they moved around the chamber.

Do they think they're invisible?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I had a colonoscopy a couple years ago. With apologies to Spock and the crew, suffice it to say, that camera boldly went where no man had gone before!
Welcome to the club! If you're lucky, you'll undergo more bold voyages.

Over the last two decades, colonoscopies have been responsible for a significant drop in deaths due to colon cancer. We don't have better treatments for this disease, but earlier detection alone has made a big difference.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Welcome to the club! If you're lucky, you'll undergo more bold voyages.

Over the last two decades, colonoscopies have been responsible for a significant drop in deaths due to colon cancer. We don't have better treatments for this disease, but earlier detection alone has made a big difference.
The procedure wasn’t too terrible thanks to the drugs, and it came back “clean” so to speak.

highfigh

highfigh

The comedian Bill Engvall said he went in for a digital exam and while probing, the Doctor asked "So, Bill- what's on your mind?" and Engvall answered "You ought to know, YOU'RE TOUCHING IT!".

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Well, if you've had everything but the kitchen sink shoved into your sinus cavity before, it'll certainly feel like it's no big deal. I found the swab butting into the back of my sinus cavity uncomfortable, for sure, but it wasn't even remotely close to other painful experiences I've had over the years. It may come down to the technique of the person handling the swab. If anyone avoids getting tested because of the discomfort, I'd say that would be silly and irresponsible.

Many years ago, I had surgery for a deviated septum. A couple of days after, the surgeon came into my room:

Surgeon: *Has me lay on my side, puts a drip try under my nose, grabs one of the splints with his forceps and yanks.*
It was pretty intense, but subsided within a few seconds, thankfully. So, yeah, the swab is nothing compared to that.
Yeah, I guess if you've had sinus issues and surgeries, the covid swab test is a walk in the park!

Oh god, that prep is awful (or was when I had one).

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I can't help but wonder if Keyontae Johnson's collapse is related to COVID-19. As far as I can tell there is no evidence it was. On the other hand, I don't think it has been ruled out either.

>>>The preseason Southeastern Conference player of the year remained in critical but stable condition Sunday morning at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital, one day after collapsing during the Gators game against Florida State.

The Associated Press reported that Johnson tested positive for COVID-19 this summer. While the cause of Johnson’s ailment has not been reported, the coronavirus can lead to myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle.<<<

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
People who complain about discomfort from getting a Covid test have obviously never had an endoscopic camera shoved up their nose, into their sinuses, then pulled from those sinuses, and sent into the back of their throat and it shows....
Does rectoscopy and colonoscopy qualify or is it just me being a snowflake :D

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Exactly.

The red and blue lines coincide, rising at the same slope, until about day 10. After that day, they diverge. It's as if those people on the vaccine arm who got Covid-19 before day 10 were exposed to the virus before the 1st immunization took hold. Once the vaccine took hold, the blue line became nearly flat, and the red line continued rising with the same slope, without varying. That lack of variation for over 100 days is a good demonstration of the statistical power you get when you test more than 20,000 people in each arm of the trial.

Good for the people at Pfizer and at the FDA. They made such a large & complex clinical trial look simple. This trial's results showed their forethought and competence. They really knew what they're doing.
It was neither. It was the only possible choice considering those remarkable results.

According to the Governor of Maryland, there are 155,000 doses of this vaccine, delivered and ready to be given starting Monday, 14 December.
Often I wish that a quote action would would even include the direct responses.

@mtrycrafts point of political pressure to approve a vaccine will have bad effects (i.e. fewer people taking the vaccine), even though the science and procedures was followed. When the treat of firing of the FDA director Hahn was made by the Trump Chief of Staff unless approval was made the same day, Hahn should have offered is resignation publicly: Just to make clear that they approve when they know they are ready.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Well, if you've had everything but the kitchen sink shoved into your sinus cavity before, it'll certainly feel like it's no big deal. I found the swab butting into the back of my sinus cavity uncomfortable, for sure, but it wasn't even remotely close to other painful experiences I've had over the years. It may come down to the technique of the person handling the swab. If anyone avoids getting tested because of the discomfort, I'd say that would be silly and irresponsible.

Many years ago, I had surgery for a deviated septum. A couple of days after, the surgeon came into my room:

Recently I had a dinner guest (social distance and all that) that is a medical doctor who made a very good point that all the many Covid tests pushed out other important tests. When said doctor said that many took the Covid test too many times, I just said that probably was a non-existant problem as the self test is pretty obnoxious and very unpleasant. The problem is most likely that so few only take one test.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
My colonoscopy was quite interesting as I could watch it all in glorious HD detail from multiple angles, along with the surgeon's explanations of what we where seeing and what he would do.

highfigh

highfigh

Recently I had a dinner guest (social distance and all that) that is a medical doctor who made a very good point that all the many Covid tests pushed out other important tests. When said doctor said that many took the Covid test too many times, I just said that probably was a non-existant problem as the self test is pretty obnoxious and very unpleasant. The problem is most likely that so few only take one test.
I saw an article about someone who couldn't go in for an MRI- he died from Cancer.

highfigh

highfigh

I still think that people need to act responsibly- ignoring the recommendations to stay away from others & wear a mask hardly qualifies, regardless of how strongly someone shouts that they know what they're doing and nobody can tell them what to do (complete with them balling up their little fists).

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
The government has ordered another 100 million doses of the Moderna vaccine for the second quarter of 2021 in addition to the 100 million scheduled for the end of 2020 through the end of the first quarter of 2021.

The panel that evaluates the Moderna EAU application is scheduled to meet on December 17. Hopefully this one is also approved and the Moderna vaccine is distributed quickly.

>>>Moderna Inc said on Friday the U.S. government will get an additional 100 million doses of its COVID-19 vaccine candidate, expected to be delivered in the second quarter of 2021 if authorized. . . . The government has ordered a total of 200 million doses till date, the vaccine developer said, adding that of first order lot, about 20 million doses will be delivered by December end and the remaining in the first quarter of 2021. A panel of outside advisers to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is scheduled to hold a meeting on Dec. 17 to discuss Moderna’s request for emergency use authorization (EUA) for its vaccine. <<<

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

My colonoscopy was quite interesting as I could watch it all in glorious HD detail from multiple angles, along with the surgeon's explanations of what we where seeing and what he would do.
Ah, a running commentary? ;) :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis