I NEED TO GET WIRED: Electrical Connection Advice

T

Thrill Killer

Audioholic Intern
I'd like some help on getting a Power Strip to plug my gear into. I can't afford a Power/Voltage Conditioner type unit. So, I need the next best thing. Another reason is Convenience. Keep everything plugged into 1 unit. Instead of cords going here and there to a few different outlets.

I'd also like to change the power cords out too. The stock ones are generic for the most part. Serviceable, yes. But I might as well go a bit further in having all of my components have a better than stock power cables and connectors too. That way I can make them Custom Lengths. So that all of the power cords are not laying everywhere like a Drunk Octopus. But in neat orderly lines to the PS.

I do not need Exotic, Pricey, or Highly Reviewed Power Cables. As I don't have that kind of gear or budget. Just stuff that would work well.

I would like to buy the power cable in bulk. So I can create the lengths that I need.
As for the plugs, I would buy those with the cable. I would like them(cable) to be insulated as to not create upon each other. Some kind of interference? between them, if that's something to worry about.

I don't have a budget because I know nothing about the subject at hand. But, if Hard Pressed, I'd say $250ish?

If anyone can post some DIY links. Articles, How-to's, Others post, Advice,etc. All would be welcome.

1. AMP: MacIntosh MC30 (C)
  2. AMP: McIntosh MC2205 (L/R)
  3. AMP: Emotiva XPA-3 (SURR)
  4. PRE-PRO: Marantz AV 7702
  5. SUB: SVS PB-1000
I Thank You All.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I'd like some help on getting a Power Strip to plug my gear into. I can't afford a Power/Voltage Conditioner type unit. So, I need the next best thing. Another reason is Convenience. Keep everything plugged into 1 unit. Instead of cords going here and there to a few different outlets.

I'd also like to change the power cords out too. The stock ones are generic for the most part. Serviceable, yes. But I might as well go a bit further in having all of my components have a better than stock power cables and connectors too. That way I can make them Custom Lengths. So that all of the power cords are not laying everywhere like a Drunk Octopus. But in neat orderly lines to the PS.

I do not need Exotic, Pricey, or Highly Reviewed. As I don't have that kind of gear or budget. Just stuff that would work well.

I would be buying the cable in bulk. So I can create the lengths that I need.
As for the plugs, I would buy those with the cable. I would like them(cable) to be insulated as to not create upon each other. Some kind of interference? between them, if that's something to worry about.

I don't have a budget because I know nothing about the subject at hand. But, if Hard Pressed, I'd say $250ish?

If anyone can post some DIY links. Articles, How-to's, Others post, Advice,etc. All would be welcome.

1. AMP: MacIntosh MC30 (C)
  2. AMP: McIntosh MC2205 (L/R)
  3. AMP: Emotiva XPA-3 (SURR)
  4. PRE-PRO: Marantz AV 7702
  5. SUB: SVS PB-1000
I Thank You All.
Monoprice or bluejeans for your cables. No need to change the power cables. Will do nothing except eat up you budget. Both may sell the bulk wire.

T

Thrill Killer

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the link. But I already have speaker cables, etc. I'm just looking for a good power strip. And to make custom length power cables. So my power cords won't be a jumbled mess. But, can be laid out in a orderly fashion. As my components won't all be the same distance from the power source. And they won't be in a rack. But on custom Cherry Wood platforms. That will sit on the floor. All made by a local furniture making shop. That had lots of leftover thick boards from building tables. So the power cables for my gear are going to get custom lengths. We get cables "to order", or DIY to length. Just the right length of speaker cable from speaker to power source. The same will be for my components to the power strip. As they all won't be the same distance from the source. I don't want to use zip ties for the shorter runs. As that would look ugly. I also don't want the other cables laying about in a jumbled mess.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@Thrill Killer
Standard advice is that upgrading cables is a waste of $ if you are looking for better performance. But, you are looking for aesthetics, and that is an OK design goal that is often overlooked on this particular forum. This forum tends more towards "all the $ for performance, don't care so much about aesthetics".

Personally, I like this power strip. I have 2 in use in 2 different systems and been using these for 6 years now! What I really like most about it is the swiveling outlets! You often have a few wall-wart power supplies that will cover more than 1 outlet on conventional power strips, and this solves that problem. To nit-pick on this power strip, the power button can be a little finicky with pushing it in/out. I have not really had that problem, but you will see a few complaints on the Amazon reviews. I don't really use the power button often anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JE9LD4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now, about the custom lengths of power cords. If it were me and my gear, I would likely just go to Home Depot or Amazon and buy a thick, high quality 100 foot extension cord, and hack that up to the lengths that I need for my various power cords. You may be able to find something cheaper or better in bulk, but this is a solution that is readily available!

Something like one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/US-Wire-74050-50-Foot-Extension/dp/B0020YHX0E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505304814&sr=8-3&keywords=heavy+duty+extension+cord

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-Outdoor-Extension-100-Feet/dp/B001JTS6UC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1505304814&sr=8-10&keywords=heavy+duty+extension+cord

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Slip usually gives solid advice, but I strongly believe that he's not providing you best advice regarding neither power strips nor custom length power cables.
Triplite makes great noise filtering power strips and nothing wrong with wanting custom power length cables, but I strongly urge you NOT to try and make them yourself. Have them professionally made. AC power is not to be messed about. Above mentioned Blue Jeans cables makes custom length speaker cord, not sure for power, but it's worth checking with them.
I'd also check Amazon for premade different power length cables.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Slip usually gives solid advice, but I strongly believe that he's not providing you best advice regarding neither power strips nor custom length power cables.
Triplite makes great noise filtering power strips and nothing wrong with wanting custom power length cables, but I strongly urge you NOT to try and make them yourself. Have them professionally made. AC power is not to be messed about. Above mentioned Blue Jeans cables makes custom length speaker cord, not sure for power, but it's worth checking with them.
I'd also check Amazon for premade different power length cables.
Haha, well, like I said, if it were me and my gear. And, I am absolutely qualified to build power cables, done it for industrial applications and it is trivial to me.

I was just answering his questions, and nobody on here had even attempted to do that yet.

Yeah, I'm not saying that the power strip that I linked is the best, I'm just saying that 2 of those have served me well for 6 years now.

I do agree that Triplite makes excellent products.

1 item to clarify, and likely we are both in agreement here, but I personally don't put much (none) faith for any "surge protection" that are advertised on any "cheap" power strips. It's really more of a "power outlet splitter" in my opinion.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The key word is professionally. I don't bring my PC to local geeksquad, nor should you pay for another person to make your power cables :) .
Agreed on power strips in general, but some vendors are a bit better than others and IMHO I'd never consider Belkin one of better ones. Tom's hardware has several fairly technical articles on power devices disassembled and analysed, like this one:
http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/661-power-strip-bar-surge-protection.html

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The key word is professionally. I don't bring my PC to local geeksquad, nor should you pay for another person to make your power cables :) .
Agreed on power strips in general, but some vendors are a bit better than others and IMHO I'd never consider Belkin one of better ones. Tom's hardware has several fairly technical articles on power devices disassembled and analysed, like this one:
http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/661-power-strip-bar-surge-protection.html
Hey, thanks for the link, I'll have to give that a read when I get a chance.

hahaahah, yeah, I bet if you took your PC to geeksquad, those bozos would just end up pissing you off! ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Thrill Killer
Standard advice is that upgrading cables is a waste of $ if you are looking for better performance. But, you are looking for aesthetics, and that is an OK design goal that is often overlooked on this particular forum. This forum tends more towards "all the $ for performance, don't care so much about aesthetics".

Personally, I like this power strip. I have 2 in use in 2 different systems and been using these for 6 years now! What I really like most about it is the swiveling outlets! You often have a few wall-wart power supplies that will cover more than 1 outlet on conventional power strips, and this solves that problem. To nit-pick on this power strip, the power button can be a little finicky with pushing it in/out. I have not really had that problem, but you will see a few complaints on the Amazon reviews. I don't really use the power button often anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JE9LD4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now, about the custom lengths of power cords. If it were me and my gear, I would likely just go to Home Depot or Amazon and buy a thick, high quality 100 foot extension cord, and hack that up to the lengths that I need for my various power cords. You may be able to find something cheaper or better in bulk, but this is a solution that is readily available!

Something like one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/US-Wire-74050-50-Foot-Extension/dp/B0020YHX0E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505304814&sr=8-3&keywords=heavy+duty+extension+cord

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-Outdoor-Extension-100-Feet/dp/B001JTS6UC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1505304814&sr=8-10&keywords=heavy+duty+extension+cord
Not sure that bright yellow or orange would fit the bill for aesthetics! :p

T

Thrill Killer

Audioholic Intern
The power cords will be for aesthetics. I just want them laid out nicely. I'm not looking for "Improved Performance". Just a nice custom look. I just built my own custom speaker cables for this set-up. I used to have Blue Jeans Cables. Which are great. I don't consider myself an electrician. So, I wouldn't go ahead and connect the power cords to any particular unit if I don't feel comfortable with it. No IEC connectors on the units will be used. Just 16-14ga cord and some kind of plug.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
The power cords will be for aesthetics. I just want them laid out nicely. I'm not looking for "Improved Performance". Just a nice custom look. I just built my own custom speaker cables for this set-up. I used to have Blue Jeans Cables. Which are great. I don't consider myself an electrician. So, I wouldn't go ahead and connect the power cords to any particular unit if I don't feel comfortable with it. No IEC connectors on the units will be used. Just 16-14ga cord and some kind of plug.
If the present power cable is not detachable, have you considered just cutting the existing cable to length and just add a plug?

T

Thrill Killer

Audioholic Intern
If the present power cable is not detachable, have you considered just cutting the existing cable to length and just add a plug?
They aren't detachable. So, your idea is tops for me. I hadn't thought of that.

T

Thrill Killer

Audioholic Intern
ISOBAR6DBS is one I'd be looking if you're looking for a bit better product. Line filtering design could help you with ground loops (if any) - could be real lifesaver in some setups.
This seems like what I need. It's now in my Amazon Audio "Wish List"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis