AVR-X4100W with Outlaw Audio 5000

S

scottavexpert

Audiophyte
I just installed an Outlaw Audio 5000 Amp with my AVR-X4100W Denon Receiver and it sounds better on stereo than multi channel option. My music cranks but now when I want to watch movies my surround sound does not appear to work right. It almost seems as if the command is not getting to the amp....any suggestions....I have tried everything.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Did you run Audyssey after setting up the Outlaw amp? Also I'd double check that the pre out RCA cables from the receiver are going to the correctly speaker wired inputs on the amp as well.
Can't hurt to double check.

S

scottavexpert

Audiophyte
I did run odessey and triple checked the wiring. It is almost as if the receiver is not sending out a good signal except for in stereo mode. Not even half the volume. I did not have this issue until I installed the amp. But I know that the amp is working and the receiver is working but together only working on stereo.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So the avr is fine on its own? But when using the external amp only 2.0 works well (or are we talking 2.1?), the rest sucks no matter what the dsp? Are you talking about multi-ch stereo or actual multi-ch content played thru an appropriate mode?

S

scottavexpert

Audiophyte
2.1 as well as 2.0 works fine. Even hooked up the amp on different channels , so I know it's not the amp.

S

scottavexpert

Audiophyte
audyssey doesn't sound right, multi channel stereo as well as every other multi-channel not sounding right-

S

scottavexpert

Audiophyte
Blu-Ray is also doing same thing, 5or 6 times times the volume on stereo vs any multi-channel setting

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So you did re-run Audyssey after adding the external amp? What were the resultant settings? Multi-ch stereo is not something I'd ever use, it never sounds right to me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Blu-Ray is also doing same thing, 5or 6 times times the volume on stereo vs any multi-channel setting
5 or 6 times the volume in stereo mode? Are you thinking that in multi-ch modes (with actual content recorded for 5.1 or 7.1) that the surrounds are supposed to be at equal volume to the mains? In 5.1/7.1 content often the center carries most of the load, and surround considerably less (helps make for the surround effect).

S

scottavexpert

Audiophyte
yes I know the main sound comes front center l and r channels, I did run audyssey after hooking up amp, i'm just saying I don't think the receiver is sending good signal via the pre-outs to the amp in any multi-channel setting whatsoever

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
I have this same Outlaw amp and an issue of my own oddly enough. I have a set of front B bookshelf speakers hooked only to the receiver not the external amp like my regular mains and surrounds are and I can't get my FM antenna signals to play through any of the speakers hooked to the outboard amp(they just make a steady bass thumping noise when I try to raise the volume.) The books connected to the receiver, no problem. Outlaw said it was my receiver and unless there's some amp assign setting you missed during setup it sounds like you're dealing with something similar.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sounds like you have the settings messed up. Can you post the level settings for all channels please?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What are your dsp settings when you experience this (stereo, multi in, 5 ch stereo, etc.)?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Outlaw said it was my receiver and unless there's some amp assign setting you missed during setup it sounds like you're dealing with something similar.
So did you make the proper amp/speaker assignments?
On my older AVR-4520, the menu sequence is
Setup Menu > Speakers > Audyssey Setup > Amp Assign > (Assign Mode =) Preamplifier > (Pre-amp assign =) All

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think it has to be the pre section. In this context the Outlaw amp is a "stupid simple" piece of gear. It doesn't know or care where the signal comes from and since you established all 5 channels work when fed the stereo output from the AVR, that means the 5 channel output from the AVR is not right.
If the amp was not able to properly drive 5 channels at once (and the design of the 5000 certainly is capable) you would have solid sound on normal content and it would fall apart when the content made demands.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
What are your dsp settings when you experience this (stereo, multi in, 5 ch stereo, etc.)?
I believe it's anything other than 2.0/2.1 stereo from what I've read so all the multi channel formats. OP can chime in if I'm mistaken.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
So did you make the proper amp/speaker assignments?
On my older AVR-4520, the menu sequence is
Setup Menu > Speakers > Audyssey Setup > Amp Assign > (Assign Mode =) Preamplifier > (Pre-amp assign =) All
Oh, thanks for offering some help on my small issue. That's the weird part. I have an older Denon 2805 with a very simple amp assign setting. It's either set to zone 2 or surround back in zone 1 and the FM signal is the only receivers audio source that doesn't get properly sent though the pre outs . Something does because as I increase the volume I get a recurring bass thump but that's it. Switch back to my front B speaker's still connected to the receiver itself and everything is fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis