Floor Spikes For Towers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
"OF COURSE the spikes were part of the plan," but let's face it, anyone who knows anything about the inherent vibrational resonant qualities of bamboo would know it was all from putting those slabs under the speakers. I've got spikes on my now, on top of carpet. I think I'm going to take your lead and purchase some Lignum Vitae wooden slabs and put them under mine. Being the hardest wood commercially available should give me an even better improvement than you got using bamboo. I'm sure going through all the effort will have me absolutely convinced, subjectively of course, that they've never sounded better.
Bamboo can make for a nice inert speaker cabinet like in the Ascend Sierras....perhaps better than wood, no? https://www.witpress.com/elibrary/wit-transactions-on-the-built-environment/59/18

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
"OF COURSE the spikes were part of the plan," but let's face it, anyone who knows anything about the inherent vibrational resonant qualities of bamboo would know it was all from putting those slabs under the speakers. I've got spikes on my now, on top of carpet. I think I'm going to take your lead and purchase some Lignum Vitae wooden slabs and put them under mine. Being the hardest wood commercially available should give me an even better improvement than you got using bamboo. I'm sure going through all the effort will have me absolutely convinced, subjectively of course, that they've never sounded better.
Lignum Vitae sounds latin and like it belongs on a State Seal on the wall. It also sounds expensive.
As a comparison point, my bamboo slabs come directly from that mecca of HD Sound Peripheral Equipment, IKEA. Some people might ignorantly call them bamboo cutting boards. For roughly $5.00 the enlightened will recognize them as exemplary resonant sound remediation barriers on par with the finest product from Mapleshade.com.

Of course in the interest of audio science, since you hooted the words Lignum Vitae (I believe its also part of the Harvard school song) you must now go forth and complete your research and deploy a pair. Bring us word of course of your result. I'm sure it will be stunning. I will also want pictures. And as you can see, there are no stilletos in the picture. I kept my feet out of the viewfinder.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Lignum Vitae sounds latin and like it belongs on a State Seal on the wall. It also sounds expensive.
As a comparison point, my bamboo slabs come directly from that mecca of HD Sound Peripheral Equipment, IKEA. Some people might ignorantly call them bamboo cutting boards. For roughly $5.00 the enlightened will recognize them as exemplary resonant sound remediation barriers on par with the finest product from Mapleshade.com.

Of course in the interest of audio science, since you hooted the words Lignum Vitae (I believe its also part of the Harvard school song) you must now go forth and complete your research and deploy a pair. Bring us word of course of your result. I'm sure it will be stunning. I will also want pictures. And as you can see, there are no stilletos in the picture. I kept my feet out of the viewfinder.
I was all set to follow though with purchasing some Lignum Vitae and laminating a few resonant sound remediation barriers, but I found out that Ascend Audio has purchased all available material. Evidently, they just realized that their bamboo speaker cabinets are made of grass, not wood. Being located in California, I believe they are worried about people smoking their speakers. The liability claims could put them out of business. I'll have to wait on the follow through until I learn how they make out with their new R & D program.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Mecca of Hd audio peripheral equipment....IKEA!!!! Love it buck.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Bamboo can make for a nice inert speaker cabinet like in the Ascend Sierras....perhaps better than wood, no? https://www.witpress.com/elibrary/wit-transactions-on-the-built-environment/59/18
lovinthehd

Your quoted article is of course one of the fine data points I shall now quote in support of my bamboo resonant insulators deployed underneath my Salks. To quote a snippet "The sound absorption coefficient of the bamboo fibreboard and the resonance-type bamboo fibreboard was found to be superior, especially in the high frequency range. Consequently, fundamental design criteria have been confirmed using the newly developed bamboo fiber material for sound absorption"

Of course I knew this when I deployed my IKEA cutting, er, bamboo resonance insulators.
I want to thank you for the timely research. I shall continue to deploy cutting edge research as IKEA completes their product designs.

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic

Who would have thought your speakers would end up on the Cutting Board Floor...

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall

You threw down the gauntlet and I accept the challenge! My local IKEA is walking distance away! :p

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
You threw down the gauntlet and I accept the challenge! My local IKEA is walking distance away! :p
I also have the big fat banboo cutting board, er sonic dampeing resonance isolater, under my Denon AVR. It keeps the legs of the AVR from falling off the shelf. Vital function. I think it also gives me chocolatey bass. I may have left a Hershey bar on there.

I am glad audio enthusiasts are embracing leading edge solutions.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
My bookshelf front speakers are on metal stands with spikes on carpet, and a bit wobbly. Would it be worth the effort to pour sand in the stands (they are hollow metal tubes)? Then my only worry would be getting a hernia when moving them! :p
The sand would definitely stabilize them. I don't think filling the stands would make them that heavy.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Mine came with. I was a little bored the other day so I installed them and got them all balanced. I have carpet over concrete so I just let them poke through and make good contact with the cement. I noticed right away they're sturdier. They feel like they're almost part of the floor, like they're anchored to the slab now.

I've seen different views on this, but I wanted to see what you guys have to say about it. Is there any reason (such as sq) to use them aside from more stability and destroying carpets?
IMO, you don't need spikes on a concrete floor. That is different than when the speaker cabinets are standing on a wooden floor.

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I also have the big fat banboo cutting board, er sonic dampeing resonance isolater, under my Denon AVR. It keeps the legs of the AVR from falling off the shelf. Vital function. I think it also gives me chocolatey bass. I may have left a Hershey bar on there.

I am glad audio enthusiasts are embracing leading edge solutions.
Sunday at the IKEA maze! Had to get the bigger model due to size of spiked plate.

IMG_1306.JPG

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The sand would definitely stabilize them. I don't think filling the stands would make them that heavy.
Ideally mix 50/50 sand and lead shot, good weight stability. if that still doesn't allow your spikes to couple with the floor below the carpet get longer spikes !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ideally mix 50/50 sand and lead shot, good weight stability. if that still doesn't allow your spikes to couple with the floor below the carpet get longer spikes !
Why would it matter if the spikes reach the floor or not?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
A solid coupling between the enclosure and the floor is exactly what we are trying to reduce with the spikes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A solid coupling between the enclosure and the floor is exactly what we are trying to reduce with the spikes.
Reduce the coupling between speaker and floor? You're just trying to keep the speaker from moving, not necessarily solid contact with the floor below the carpet.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It all depends on what we mean by coupling. If it means coupling the enclosure to the floor, then all the enclosure vibrations are transmitted to the floor. By using spikes, we actually want to reduce the coupling area between the enclosure and the floor. Right?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It all depends on what we mean by coupling. If it means coupling the enclosure to the floor, then all the enclosure vibrations are transmitted to the floor. By using spikes, we actually want to reduce the coupling area between the enclosure and the floor. Right?
As long as it is stable...doesn't need to even be a spike necessarily, could be rubber feet....couldn't it?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
OK, here's my take .........

you've got your speakers on what appears to be some kind of flimsy light weight stands. By filling them with the sand / shot mix you have added weight and vibrational absorption. My thoughts with respect to 'coupling' are to keep things as a 'whole'. If ones floors are that bad then perhaps other methods should be employed, but IMO the bass is better for it. Besides if your speakers 'vibrate' that bad they are surely junk to begin with.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis