The everything Beer thread

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Here are two I had last week. Thanks again Rob!

Went to the Grapevine Craft Brewery on Saturday for their 2nd anniversary. Only had two beers - Nightwatch Oatmeal Stout (on nitro) and two half pours of Witherspoon Barrel-Aged the Master Coffee Stout. They were pretty good :)

http://www.grapevineontap.com/

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I really liked it. Not nearly as hoppy as standard ten fidy. I've had it in my cellar for a few months and it was my only one. Wish I bought a few more cans :(
Hoppy isn't how I'd describe Ten Fidy, you remind me of my sister, she cares little for hoppy stuff and what she finds hoppy, my reaction is more like I didn't even notice....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I really liked it. Not nearly as hoppy as standard ten fidy. I've had it in my cellar for a few months and it was my only one. Wish I bought a few more cans :(
Right, but how much did a single can cost?

Been a while since I've seen it in the stores, seems like it was pretty dang pricey.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hoppy isn't how I'd describe Ten Fidy, you remind me of my sister, she cares little for hoppy stuff and what she finds hoppy, my reaction is more like I didn't even notice....
Agreed!

If we ain't talking about something in the neighborhood of 50 IBU or so, then it ain't hoppy!

Personally, I like 75-100+ IBU. You know, jaw-clenching goodness ;);):):)

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
BA Ten Fidy was $10. BA stuff is usually at least $10/can or bottle, sometimes much more. For example, Southern Star Black Crack (BA Buried Hatchet) was $10/can last time I purchased it, which was a significant premium to the $9/4-pack Buried Hatchet. It's also a smaller can than the BA Ten Fidy can (16oz vs 19.2oz).

Another example is Community BA Legion being $18/4-pack vs $10 for standard Legion.

I wish the premium was more like $1 or $2 of course :D

Standard Ten Fidy is 65 IBU. Another stout I find too hoppy is Yeti, which is 75 IBU.

However, Old Rasputin is also 75 IBU and that's one of my favorites. I guess IBUs aren't the best way to measure hoppiness but I don't know another method :/

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
BA Ten Fidy was $10. BA stuff is usually at least $10/can or bottle, sometimes much more. For example, Southern Star Black Crack (BA Buried Hatchet) was $10/can last time I purchased it, which was a significant premium to the $9/4-pack Buried Hatchet. It's also a smaller can than the BA Ten Fidy can (16oz vs 19.2oz).

Another example is Community BA Legion being $18/4-pack vs $10 for standard Legion.

Standard Ten Fidy is 65 IBU. Another stout I find too hoppy is Yeti, which is 75 IBU.

However, Old Rasputin is also 75 IBU and that's one of my favorites. I guess IBUs aren't the best way to measure hoppiness but I don't know another method :/
I hadn't looked up the IBU on the Ten Fidy, somewhat surprised but since I like 'em very hoppy I guess I really shouldn't be. I might spend 5 bucks on a bottle of beer (22oz) but rarely more, if I'm gonna spend that much I'll just drink some nice single malt scotch (peatier the better :) ).

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I buy a lot of the single bottle/can releases. It can start to get expensive. It would be awesome of bombers of barrel-aged beer were only $5.

I don't really know anything about scotch or liquor in general. The last batch of barrel aged legion was aged in Macallan scotch barrels. Some of the comments mentioned it being peaty so perhaps you would have liked it :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Dang! I never would have guessed that these beers had that high IBUs!

They just have so much other flavor and sweetness that it masks the hoppyness (to me). Like I said, I'm all about ruining my palette with hops!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
A lot of imperial stouts are going to be pretty high in IBU:
The Parabola I had recently is 69 IBU
Prairie Bomb is 65 IBU
Goose Island BCBS is 60 IBU
BA Ten Fidy is 75 IBU but tastes less hoppy than the 65 IBU standard Ten Fidy
Bell's Expedition Stout is 78 IBU
Stone Americano Stout is 65 IBU
Community Legion/BA Legion are both 70 IBU

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I buy a lot of the single bottle/can releases. It can start to get expensive. It would be awesome of bombers of barrel-aged beer were only $5.

I don't really know anything about scotch or liquor in general. The last batch of barrel aged legion was aged in Macallan scotch barrels. Some of the comments mentioned it being peaty so perhaps you would have liked it :)
LOL Macallan has little peat character, a bit light for my taste generally, IIRC aged in sherry barrels; nice but....now something from Islay (like Lagavulin, Laphroaig or Bowmore) now we're talkin'!

annunaki

annunaki

Big Stouts need a lot of hops to balance the malt and alcohol. Otherwise they are too malty and too sweet. Hops = balance when it comes to Stouts. The bigger the Stout you plan on making the higher the IBU that is likely needed to balance it out.

When you get into Barrel Aged then you may need more as the hops are going to mellow out during the aging process.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Big Stouts need a lot of hops to balance the malt and alcohol. Otherwise they are too malty and too sweet. Hops = balance when it comes to Stouts. The bigger the Stout you plan on making the higher the IBU that is likely needed to balance it out.

When you get into Barrel Aged then you may need more as the hops are going to mellow out during the aging process.
+you will extract some wood sugars too

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis