Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
My new OPPO 203 refuses to play some Blu-Rays I have that work in seriously junky cheap players and their response is:

"We have not been receiving any feedback from other customers that they are not able to playback any Universal titles, and it has also not been our experience that these tiles are not compatible with the player."
Well how fantastic is that, so my player must be fine then and yet, certain discs turn the player into a brick, it won't open to eject, it won't power off it just sits there like a stupid brick.

It has the latest firmware, last night I let it sit for two hours to see if it would ever load the menu, I had to remove the power cord to shut it down.

The latest disc to have this issue is the Universal Jason Borne Blu-Ray 4 disc set that plays just fine in everything from a no name player in our RV to my best friends Walmart special to my 4 year old Samsung player. The most expensive Blu-Ray player I have ever owned, refuses to play, there are a few others it refuses to play as well but I can't remember their names.

I did all of the following to no avail, they keep acting like the player is fine 4 emails later.

"If you remove all cables that are connected to the player and just reconnect the power cable, does the player turn on properly and also eject the tray reliably? If you reconnect the HDMI cable, go into the Setup Menu and then Reset Factory Defaults (Device Setup). Choose to reset the player and account settings.

Under Device Setup choose Erase Persistent Storage then clear it (making sure to highlight OK as the default action is CANCEL) and then exit the Setup Menu and turn off the player then turn it back on.

Now see if the player works properly.

If not, then how are these discs not loading properly? Are you getting some kind of error message or is the player showing anything on the front panel such as all zeroes or dashes?"
My last email to them asks them if they are capable of allowing for the fact there could be an actual problem with the player, no matter how many shipped are awesome, mine is not. No response so far.

I have to go out of town tonight so when I return I'm going to test and note any discs the player refuses to play and then I'm going to demand that OPPO back the product instead of giving me this song and dance about defective discs. If the discs are that defective (per OPPO) they render the OPPO useless and Samsung runs them fine, I bought the wrong player.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I just received an actual helpful response from OPPO, finally. I'm going to see what they come up with next, possibly a firmware update, not sure, will know more Monday I believe after I return.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had the same thing happen with my 98SE. I took my disc into their office and showed it to them. It was also a Universal disc <hint hint> Universal changes how they encode the discs randomly. Oppo wrote a firmware update in a few weeks and got it fixed.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I had the same thing happen with my 98SE. I took my disc into their office and showed it to them. It was also a Universal disc <hint hint> Universal changes how they encode the discs randomly. Oppo wrote a firmware update in a few weeks and got it fixed.
I agree, it seems the only discs I ever have issues with come from Universal but these play in literal junk and my expensive player is rendered stupid from it? Getting the run around about how everybody else isn't having a problem pulls my trigger every time, they may as well say this is your problem tough chit.

Thankfully their latest response was more helpful.

A

aaro

Audiophyte
I am also Facing this problem with my oppo device. if there is some solution please tell me about it.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I am also Facing this problem with my oppo device. if there is some solution please tell me about it.
They released a new firmware version and I haven't tested since, I'm out of town but will try when I return.

J

Joe McNair

Audiophyte
I recently sold my old 83 that I could clearly see a much improved picture quality over all other players I had seen up to and including that point in 2010....and had playback issues like those described in this thread. Told myself I wouldn't get another Oppo and even argued on a facebook page about it....I offered my 83 on that page for 75 but it was so outdated there were no bites. Offered it on Ebay (that I said I would never sell on again, that's a whole other story) and it sold for 180! SOOOooo after watching some reviews I decided, well, maybe they worked the kinks out in the 203. Watched a movie or two and it was wonderful...HDR content and all....put in the terminator 2 regular 1080p to get to the THX sub crossover menu to check for drop outs and what happens? IT JUST SPINS AND THEN LOCKED THE DAMN DRAWER.....same exact crap from the 83 on some regular DVD's (disney to be exact....little mermaid (and others)). ANYWAY--- Now I feel I got bit again! Oppo really should have no excuse and I agree TOTALLY with the "brick" analogy that started the thread....junk players have no issue (I would often just switch to whatever iteration of xbox I have at the time and it'll fire up anything.....just won't look as good) so there is zero reason this should happen with a high-end player like this!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis