Tales From the Rabbit Hole

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Good to hear your STs are shipping next week!!!

That might have been me. Jim said 100 to 120 when I ordered. Just based your experience I'm thinking 120 days which would be the end of Sept. Tack on another 3-4 weeks I figure mid/late Oct. delivery....that's pretty much Thanksgivingish.
Jim said they are all packed up, have Fedex shipping numbers, and should be on a Fedex truck on Monday. I am geeked.

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
I bet you are excited! I know when I bought my bookshelf speakers first I couldn't get the towers out of my head. I finally had to buy them with no regrets. You already have an awesome setup and this is going to take it to another level. Now you will have more options. I can't wait to hear what difference you notice in your system. Pretty cool!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
@Pogre

I didn't realize you just went into biz for yourself...congrats!

From my experience so far...I took out the Onkyo AVR (not nearly the 6011 piece you just bought) and replaced it with the 2200 monoblocks 200wpc vs 75wpc...the bottom end of the B&Ws was a little meatier, and low volume detail was better....that was in 2.0

Now in 2.2 with the HSUs...crossing over at initially at 80hz and now at 60hz I'm getting really good mid bass from the B&Ws...listening to EST (a Euro based Jazz trio band) the mid bass notes from the piano, drum and upright bass were crisper, more pronounced than they were in 2.0. Subtle, but the point of this is the power has made some tangible difference that I've been able to hear. But I had crap for power before...you have a decent power with the 6011.

That said, it kind of depends on what your objective is with this purchase. If you really want to take your music to the next level, the speakers are going to give you more bang for the buck. How the Ultra towers weigh against the Phils or the Salks I really don't know. But as Buck has mentioned...Jim Salk is running almost 120 days plus right now. He should have his later this week so this time next week he might be able to offer some early feedback on his Songtowers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats on the new toys! Of course a thread titled as such wouldn't be complete without
alicegif.gif

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Congrats on the new toys! Of course a thread titled as such wouldn't be complete without
View attachment 21369
Yes! I should have put it in the op! :p

I sent a question Saturday about the speakers I bought. Are they factory refurb, any cosmetic damage, etc. This was the reply.

Thank you for contacting us. This item is not refurbished or reconditioned. We do occasionally sell refurbished items but they are clearly marked as such. We thoroughly check these out before offering them for shipment. The condition is like new. There are no cosmetic blemishes and all of the original manufacturer's accessories, paperwork, packaging and warranty are included.

Now that's a reply I like to read! I'm taking them on their word for it. They have almost 28,000 transactions and 99.9% positive feedback. You don't see that often with that many transactions.

As I was typing this, they called me to work out the shipping details. They'll be arriving on a pallet I guess. Big order (literally). Sounds like I'll have them by the end of the week.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I sent a question Saturday about the speakers I bought. Are they factory refurb, any cosmetic damage, etc This was the reply.

Thank you for contacting us. This item is not refurbished or reconditioned. We do occasionally sell refurbished items but they are clearly marked as such. We thoroughly check these out before offering them for shipment. The condition is like new. There are no cosmetic blemishes and all of the original manufacturer's accessories, paperwork, packaging and warranty are included.

Now that's a reply I like to read! I'm taking them on their word for it. They have almost 28,000 transactions and 99.9% positive feedback. You don't see that often with that many transactions.

As I was typing this, they called me to work out the shipping details. They'll be arriving on a pallet I guess. Big order (literally). Sounds like I'll have them by the end of the week.
Glad to hear they take their logistics seriously. When I got the JBL towers last year they were shipped regular ol' UPS and the boxes weren't in great condition on arrival (but no damage to speakers).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm gonna need new wall mounts for my UBS'. I found a bunch at Monoprice. They weigh 19 lbs. I've never shopped for mounts before. Any suggestions? I'd like them to be fully articulating.

*Edit: These look like they just might fit the bill. The price is certainly right. Not sure if I get the concept on how they work though. I'm sure that wire comes into play somehow. Not real keen on a metal wire scratching up my speakers...

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

I sent a question Saturday about the speakers I bought. Are they factory refurb, any cosmetic damage, etc. This was the reply.

I'm thinking this seller has ties with SVS and these are "open box returns" under SVS's 45 day return policy (which of course would be neither refurbished nor reconditioned).
These speakers are too heavy to ship UPS or FedEx so require shipping by freight, thus costs represent a pretty high portion of the total cost and the round trip cost is probably something like $300-400 for the pair. Obviously this would put SVS out of business if they had a high rate of returns! IIRC, you got about a 20% discount for buying B-stock UBS, but the lone B-stock tower I see on SVS is only discounted by 10%.
My speculation is that one of the guys who works for SVS (or a family member) might have recognized this opportunity and is able to flip the returns at a decent profit by eliminating the risk of return shipping.
I will be curious to know if the return address on them is near the return address on your UBS's!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm thinking this seller has ties with SVS and these are "open box returns" under SVS's 45 day return policy (which of course would be neither refurbished nor reconditioned).
These speakers are to heavy to ship UPS or FedEx so require shipping by freight, thus costs represent a pretty high portion of the total cost and the round trip cost is probably something like $300-400 for the pair. Obviously this would put SVS out of business if they had a high rate of returns! IIRC, you got about a 20% discount for buying B-stock UBS, but the lone B-stock tower I see on SVS is only discounted by 10%.
My speculation is that one of the guys who works for SVS (or a family member) might have recognized this opportunity and is able to flip the returns at a decent profit by eliminating the risk of return shipping.
I will be curious to know if the return address on them is near the return address on your UBS's!
Yeah, I saw the lone tower on their Outlet. Black oak finish though and $100 more than what I just paid. That is an interesting observation you point out though. They are an authorized dealer for SVS. I'll bet you're not very far off the mark at all.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
When I said "I have permission", apparently she thought I was getting one or the other. Oops...
If you flip the vintage gear, you could buy back some good will!
Maybe the seller would be willing to split the profits if you managed the sale/packaging/shipping.
Not sure if Audiogon or Ebay is a better venue for such a sale...might be worth a new thread.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'm gonna need new wall mounts for my UBS'. I found a bunch at Monoprice. They weigh 19 lbs. I've never shopped for mounts before. Any suggestions? I'd like them to be fully articulating.

*Edit: These look like they just might fit the bill. The price is certainly right. Not sure if I get the concept on how they work though. I'm sure that wire comes into play somehow. Not real keen on a metal wire scratching up my speakers...
Hey poges, I used these for an install of BS in a LR. Mount-It! Speaker Wall Mounts, Pair of Universal Side Clamping Bookshelf Speaker Mounting Brackets, Large or Small Speakers, 2 Mounts, 55 Lbs Capacity, Black (MI-SB37) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZE0O8U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-IbszbCMMSZR8
They worked really nice and I think jgarcia has linked them too.
My surrounds are roughly 30lbs each and I used these.

Not sure they're available still but they do allow for any articulation you'd ever need. The "mount it" ones also articulate nicely. The hardest part might be drilling into your speakers, but nobody will ever see that when mounted anyway.
Ok. .02

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'm late to this party but why not just get 2 more ultra bookshelf speakers? Either was is good, just thinking of saving money for similar sounding and performing speakers especially if you have a really good sub? Just a thought.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm late to this party but why not just get 2 more ultra bookshelf speakers? Either was is good, just thinking of saving money for similar sounding and performing speakers especially if you have a really good sub? Just a thought.

It's a little late now! It's a done deal. I've been eyeballing those Towers for almost a year now. I ain't sending them back.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
It's a little late now! It's a done deal. I've been eyeballing those Towers for almost a year now. I ain't sending them back.
Well it's gonna pretty awesome either way. Did you get them already? They are supposed to be pretty awesome.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well it's gonna pretty awesome either way. Did you get them already? They are supposed to be pretty awesome.

Just set up the shipping this morning. Should get a tracking number later today.

*Edit: they're coming from Spokane Washington to Arizona. Should be here by the end of the week. I just updated all that in this thread this morning.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Just set up the shipping this morning. Should get a tracking number later today.
Sweet, new Monolith amp and SVS ultra towers. Man that is gonna sound insane. Did you get the 7 channel amp or 3?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sweet, new Monolith amp and SVS ultra towers. Man that is gonna sound insane. Did you get the 7 channel amp or 3?

Balls out man. I got the seven Channel. It just seemed silly to only get 3 or 5 when the extra channels are so cheap, respectively.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Balls out man. I got the seven Channel. It just seemed silly to only get 3 or 5 when the extra channels are so cheap, respectively.
Oh my god are you in for a treat. That amp and those speakers will sound movie theater quality. Impressive, your about to find out what separates can do. I'd bet anything on you hearing an incredible difference.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh my god are you in for a treat. That amp and those speakers will sound movie theater quality. Impressive, your about to find out what separates can do. I'd bet anything on you hearing an incredible difference.

I love reading posts like this. We'll see man. I do believe I'll discern a difference with the towers making things a little fuller possibly? I think if I detect anything with that amp, it will be at higher volumes. Don't get me wrong tho, I'm pretty stoked to get it hooked up and give a listen. It should be here tomorrow.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

Arriving on pallets! Talk about intimidating systems!

Congrats!...Seems like you saved a few bucks as well.

I read a few of the reviews on the SVS site (like they will actually publish a bad one...yeah, right). One that registered with me...the guy that did the 4 speaker comparison...I've heard the F208 Revel speaker, and Paradigm Prestige, and the MA Gold300...the F208 and Gold300 are very nice speakers...$5k to $7k so it should be. I've never heard the Ultras but for them to stand toe to toe with the F208 Revel says enough for me....you did well.

I always hold my breath on speaker shipments until they get there, so hopefully they arrive safe and sound.

Congrats again!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis