OPPO 205 Ultra Blu-ray?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I received an email from OPPO yesterday, says their new 205 player is available for pre-order. Specs suggest this player is the most "universal" player out there. I'm in for one.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I am sure this is a great machine but I have a hard time justifying replacing my Opp 105 with this one right now.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I will also keep my 103D for a good while, not in hurry for a new player.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I like my Xbox 1S! I'm not as much into the home theater experience as some folks are. I keep it pretty simple (5.2) and focus on 2.2 listening for music. My cheap (maybe not "cheap"... budget", I did spend $800 on my UHD 58" Vizio) tv is enough for me. I'm sure any improvements a high dollar player makes wouldn't be as noticeable on my set. I'm sure the minutiae in the differences would be a lot more noticeable on a really nice set.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
The 103D works well for me. I am curious about the better audio of the 105, and now the 205. Just cant get myself to take a hit on my current Oppo and then spend almost twice as much to get the new breed. I wonder if Oppo has ever considered a trade up plan?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The 103D works well for me. I am curious about the better audio of the 105, and now the 205. Just cant get myself to take a hit on my current Oppo and then spend almost twice as much to get the new breed. I wonder if Oppo has ever considered a trade up plan?
Nope :) But the good news is, they tend to have pretty good resale value so you don't lose a lot on newer models.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Maybe not. If the trend on fleabay is any indicator. The BDP 95 is selling for more than the 103D. The 105's seem to do better.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
95 is worth more because it was a higher model, even though it is older. The 105 has been the flagship for quite a few years after the 95.

2channel lover

I received an email from OPPO yesterday, says their new 205 player is available for pre-order. Specs suggest this player is the most "universal" player out there. I'm in for one.
I'm currently on the sidelines waiting.

Did you get this player yet? If so...your thoughts?

My HT TV is only 1080p so I'm not even concerned about 4k yet. The video I assume will be fine for my needs...I'm considering this upgrade over the 203 for the dedicated 2 ch analog connections and "reported" world class DACs.

For now I'm still on the fence.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I've sold a couple of 203's to clients and they love them, but I have no experience with the 205. If it's anything like past versions, it should be worth buying.

2channel lover

I've sold a couple of 203's to clients and they love them, but I have no experience with the 205. If it's anything like past versions, it should be worth buying.
Thanks.

I've never owned a Oppo bluray unit but have always heard good things. Truthfully I'm not buying it so much for the video. I'm buying to to replace my CD player and add SACD (other hi res) capability so the dedicated analog stereo/surround performance have my interest the most.

Owner reviews that I've read have been pretty mixed so far. One pro review has come back now and he was very complementary of the audio on the 205.

Mike Osadciw's review

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-player/blu-ray/oppo-udp-205-4k-ultra-hd-audiophile-blu-ray-disc-player-review/

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've owned quite a few Oppos, mostly the top models. They've always been good with audio.

2channel lover

I've owned quite a few Oppos, mostly the top models. They've always been good with audio.
To be honest, I'm more or less sold on the 205. I just have some bigger fish to fry so I'm watching a lot of the owner reviews, gauging early feedback.

I do find it a little odd that the 105 seemed to be universally loved and this unit does have some owners that are not all in on it yet.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
To be honest, I'm more or less sold on the 205. I just have some bigger fish to fry so I'm watching a lot of the owner reviews, gauging early feedback.

I do find it a little odd that the 105 seemed to be universally loved and this unit does have some owners that are not all in on it yet.
It is still new, and the 105 is still a very good audio player. I got my 105 maybe 6-9 months after it launched, so it had a few firmware updates by then. There will always be some people who aren't happy and others who are. There are things I don't love about the 105, but the audio is definitely one thing I am very pleased with.

2channel lover

It is still new, and the 105 is still a very good audio player. I got my 105 maybe 6-9 months after it launched, so it had a few firmware updates by then. There will always be some people who aren't happy and others who are. There are things I don't love about the 105, but the audio is definitely one thing I am very pleased with.
Yep...it's hard to be all things to all people in general so I think that would apply to AV as well. Curious...with audio in mind how did you connect your 105 to your system.

HDMI or RCA to your UMC-200 or directly to the amp as a pre amp/source?

The 205 comes with a 2 yr warranty...I trust that will cover me for the most likely to break period.

2channel lover

If 4k is not that important, and I won't say it's not important, but I'm not chomping at the bit for it as my 1080p plasma is still working fine.

Is this a comparable alternative to the 205 for high end audio?

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/cx/cxu

S

sterling shoote

I'm currently on the sidelines waiting.

Did you get this player yet? If so...your thoughts?

My HT TV is only 1080p so I'm not even concerned about 4k yet. The video I assume will be fine for my needs...I'm considering this upgrade over the 203 for the dedicated 2 ch analog connections and "reported" world class DACs.

For now I'm still on the fence.
I have not purchased yet, since discovering my employer is closing the store where I work part-time. Now, I will need to re-appraise purchasing at this time. No doubt; however, I will purchase this unit, hopefully in the near future, as it is THE solution for multi-channel SACD.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep...it's hard to be all things to all people in general so I think that would apply to AV as well. Curious...with audio in mind how did you connect your 105 to your system.

HDMI or RCA to your UMC-200 or directly to the amp as a pre amp/source?

The 205 comes with a 2 yr warranty...I trust that will cover me for the most likely to break period.
I have it connected via HDMI and analog. With the UMC-200 I had 7ch analog connected; the MC700 only has stereo analog, which I am using. HDMI for movies because the pre's bass management is better, analog for music. I have used the 105 direct to a few different amps because I have the CA0W1s setup as well, but it got a bit too complex having to turn on and off certain things. When my UMC200 died and I sent it in, the 105 was the heart of my system, with the PS4 running through it,

Their extended warranty is pretty inexpensive and you can purchase it all the way up to the end of the factory warranty.

If 4k is not that important, and I won't say it's not important, but I'm not chomping at the bit for it as my 1080p plasma is still working fine.

Is this a comparable alternative to the 205 for high end audio?

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/cx/cxu
Cambridge has previously all been based on Oppo internals and the one's I've heard did not represent any improvement over the original, so might as well get the Oppo lol. If you are sticking with 1080p, I might look for a used 105 or 105D.

Last edited:

2channel lover

I have it connected via HDMI and analog. With the UMC-200 I had 7ch analog connected; the MC700 only has stereo analog, which I am using. HDMI for movies because the pre's bass management is better, analog for music. I have used the 105 direct to a few different amps because I have the CA0W1s setup as well, but it got a bit too complex having to turn on and off certain things. When my UMC200 died and I sent it in, the 105 was the heart of my system, with the PS4 running through it,

Their extended warranty is pretty inexpensive and you can purchase it all the way up to the end of the factory warranty.

Cambridge has previously all been based on Oppo internals, so might as well get the Oppo lol.
Noted on the connections and the warranty...you can still buy the extend option after purchasing the unit...interesting.

Cambridge...I was reading last night about their CXU unit...it seems to have some strong user support. Although some claim it's better than the 105. I'm not sure if it's better, but by most accounts it seems to be a comparable audio performer....$800...had me thinking about it.

I found a super deal on one of the bigger fish I needed to fry last night so I may pull the trigger on this (205) today...that way everything will be bought and in the new rack....waiting for the Salks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis