The Headphone Thread! Share Your Gear and Impressions, Etc.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I have Grado SR80e. I like them IF they go through a phones section of my amp. My main source is still my laptop and when I want to use headphones I connect my laptop to my amp as well as my headphones and I use them that way. Plugging them directly to my laptop makes the sound weaker.

I think my phones need an amp as in; not optional but compulsory.

Even if it sounds obvious to all of you, I'd like a second opinion on that. Here are the specs:
Transducer Type: Dynamic
Operating Principle: Open Air
Frequency Response: 20 - 20,000 hz
SPL 1mW: 99.8 dB
Nominal Impedance: 32 ohms
Driver Matched dB: .1 dB

The reason I'm asking for a second opinion is that when I plug them into my "antique" mobile (Sony-Erickson walkman series, 12 years old model)
upload_2017-5-12_14-13-14.jpeg

they sound waaay much better. Is it possible this mobile has a better/stronger output through the 3.5 jack than my laptop?upload_2017-5-12_14-13-14.jpeg

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have Grado SR80e. I like them IF they go through a phones section of my amp. My main source is still my laptop and when I want to use headphones I connect my laptop to my amp as well as my headphones and I use them that way. Plugging them directly to my laptop makes the sound weaker.

I think my phones need an amp as in; not optional but compulsory.

Even if it sounds obvious to all of you, I'd like a second opinion on that. Here are the specs:
Transducer Type: Dynamic
Operating Principle: Open Air
Frequency Response: 20 - 20,000 hz
SPL 1mW: 99.8 dB
Nominal Impedance: 32 ohms
Driver Matched dB: .1 dB

The reason I'm asking for a second opinion is that when I plug them into my "antique" mobile (Sony-Erickson walkman series, 12 years old model)View attachment 20917

they sound waaay much better. Is it possible this mobile has a better/stronger output through the 3.5 jack than my laptop?View attachment 20917
This is a case where it would be really nice for a manufacturer to publish the output impedance of their device. That could provide the insight that you need right there. In practice, you almost always have to measure the output impedance, not exactly difficult but not exactly trivial, and you need the right tools and experience.

Your theory could be correct too, but know way to know for sure.

Could also be DAC in the laptop being in a noisy environment. How does the analog out on the laptop sound if you plug it into your AVR?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
This is a case where it would be really nice for a manufacturer to publish the output impedance of their device. That could provide the insight that you need right there. In practice, you almost always have to measure the output impedance, not exactly difficult but not exactly trivial, and you need the right tools and experience.

Your theory could be correct too, but know way to know for sure.

Could also be DAC in the laptop being in a noisy environment. How does the analog out on the laptop sound if you plug it into your AVR?
Unfortunately this is still my only source of music. Anyway, when the rip is good the sound is good. I can't complain. My impression is that I'm getting more than I could hope for since I'm listening to laptop connected via analogue out (the same jack I use for headphones otherwise).

I guess the nominal impedance is not enough then? What measurement am I looking for?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Unfortunately this is still my only source of music. Anyway, when the rip is good the sound is good. I can't complain. My impression is that I'm getting more than I could hope for since I'm listening to laptop connected via analogue out (the same jack I use for headphones otherwise).

I guess the nominal impedance is not enough then? What measurement am I looking for?
You are talking about the nominal impedance for the headphones, right?

I'm asking "what is the output impedance of your laptop"?

So, you plug your headphones into the laptop and it sounds poor. But, laptop-->amp-->headphones sounds good. Do you need an amp? Or is the output impedance on the laptop too high to work well with those phones?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
You are talking about the nominal impedance for the headphones, right?

I'm asking "what is the output impedance of your laptop"?

So, you plug your headphones into the laptop and it sounds poor. But, laptop-->amp-->headphones sounds good. Do you need an amp? Or is the output impedance on the laptop too high to work well with those phones?
You're right. I was talking about the impedance of the phones. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Earbuds sound nice plugged directly to the laptop. I'm off to see whether I can find the laptop's impedance. I'll edit it in here, I'm hijacking this thread too much as it is.

EDIT: now how about that, one week in official Lenovo forums and no answer. I didn't know it's that hard to find this info. I did learn it would be wiser to ask for the answer from the company responsible for audio driver. I might just do that if Lenovo doesn't answer soon.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yep hope you like em. They indeed are great for the price. I have one more Iem that should be here soon. It's another Awei and cheaper with a COOL funky Purple color I hope they sound as good as the 900i. Stay tuned. By the way those 900i were 4.99 when I got them. Must be getting popular.
They just arrived!

20170517_135208-1305x734.jpg

By far the best earbuds I've ever owned (this from a guy who usually buys "Gumy" brand ear buds from Walmart because they're cheap), and they were only 6 bucks! I think the bass response is the most surprising thing to me. It's really quite good, but I'm having issues maintaining a tight seal in my ears. Lose the seal and all the bass is gone as well as some of the magic.

A minor issue AFAIC as I'm sure there's a simple solution for my first world problem. Any advice?

*Edit: I also have a thing about sticking stuff in my ears. Gives me the heebie jeebies, but I will adjust.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The ones that are on the phones are medium. Perhaps you need to use large?
1. Get some q tips for your ears. Get a good careful cleaning going.
2. Get some alcohol to clean the eartips. Let them air dry or wipe with a napkin.
I thought you would like them. The bass and loudness is What Really surprised me as well for the price.
I recommend you also get the Awei Q7i as a backup. For less than 3 bucks they are a gem. As far as sticking Stuff in ears I was the same way then I got used to them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The ones that are on the phones are medium. Perhaps you need to use large?
1. Get some q tips for your ears. Get a good careful cleaning going.
2. Get some alcohol to clean the eartips. Let them air dry or wipe with a napkin.
I thought you would like them. The bass and loudness is What Really surprised me as well for the price.
I recommend you also get the Awei Q7i as a backup. For less than 3 bucks they are a gem. As far as sticking Stuff in ears I was the same way then I got used to them.
I just discovered the "extras" are different sizes. I already went overboard cleaning the goop out of my ears, but I'll douche 'em out again and clean the tips like you suggested.

I just now swapped them out for the large. You're right, much better (also not as violating as the smaller ones). I can move my head around a little and don't have to continuously keep poking at them and adjusting to get a seal. I do like them and there was little risk involved. Thanks for the suggestion.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Listening to some of my more bass heavy tracks and I'm impressed. These dig deeper than I thought they would. They only peter out with very deep bass and I only have a few songs that have real, ball breaking bass in them. I'm having way more fun auditioning these than I thought I would. Furreals.

I'm picking out more detail in my music that I think only might be possible with headphones. Good times.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Haha Good. Get those q7i and even more detail and bass. I'm not Kidding. I told you the bass was amazing wait till they break in they will be better in the bass department.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Haha Good. Get those q7i and even more detail and bass. I'm not Kidding. I told you the bass was amazing wait till they break in they will be better in the bass department.
You're saying the q7i's are even even better for under 3 bucks? I have them in my browser right now ready to pull the trigger...

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I am honestly now sure if headphones have a "break-in" period, but to my ears my JBL Everest 700 headphones are sounding better and better. Many proclaim that speakers have a "break-in" period so it does make sense then that the same applies to headphones, no? Anyone here ever experienced this with their headphones? Sure hoping my mind and my ears are NOT playing tricks on me. :):):)

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am honestly now sure if headphones have a "break-in" period, but to my ears my JBL Everest 700 headphones are sounding better and better. Many proclaim that speakers have a "break-in" period so it does make sense then that the same applies to headphones, no? Anyone here ever experienced this with their headphones? Sure hoping my mind and my ears are NOT playing tricks on me. :):):)

Phil
It makes sense to me as far as maybe loosening up for bass. Dunno though. I think that's one of those subjects that are very prone to placebo or maybe just getting used to the "sound" of them, but I have zero experience even listening to good earbuds, and about the same for over the ear. These really are the best I've owned... and only 6 bucks. :p

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It makes sense to me as far as maybe loosening up for bass. Dunno though. I think that's one of those subjects that are very prone to placebo or maybe just getting used to the "sound" of them, but I have zero experience even listening to good earbuds, and about the same for over the ear. These really are the best I've owned... and only 6 bucks. :p

I forgot to mention that I also own a set of JBL S500 headphones that also sound amazing. At first, I did not think that the Everest 700 headphones sounded as good as the S500. But, I stand corrected. They simply are more clear and just have better SQ to my ears. No, it is not a day or night difference per se. But, certainly noticeable nonetheless. I admit though, still kind of new to headphones. Just really liking my Everest 700 set! :):):)

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I tend to believe in break-in.......even though the data suggests that I am mistaken o_O

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, and I now can see where I might actually enjoy a set of headphones. The main thing I'm dealing with right now is discomfort. I'm thinking over the ear would suit me a lot better. I don't have access a lot of money right now, but I'd like to audition a decent set of over the ear.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Intuitively it makes sense to me. So many conflicting opinions though. Didn't Gene and Hugo test this theory once?
I have some knowledge with materials sciences and polymers in particular, I have no doubts that polymers "break in". The chemical manufacturing traps solvent molecules in the polymeric molecular chains. As polymers bend and stretch, the solvent molecules escape. This is well known and characterized with analytical techniques. Think "new car smell".

So, my previous work in other fields has provided data to prove that break-in is indeed a real phenomena on a molecular level.

Now, "is it audible"--the data provided by AH says "nope". Furthermore, they clearly showed that driver-to-driver variation is greater than pre/post break-in variation.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have some knowledge with materials sciences and polymers in particular, I have no doubts that polymers "break in". The chemical manufacturing traps solvent molecules in the polymeric molecular chains. As polymers bend and stretch, the solvent molecules escape. This is well known and characterized with analytical techniques. Think "new car smell".

So, my previous work in other fields has provided data to prove that break-in is indeed a real phenomena on a molecular level.

Now, "is it audible"--the data provided by AH says "nope". Furthermore, they clearly showed that driver-to-driver variation is greater than pre/post break-in variation.
I remember reading one of your posts about polymers. This also makes sense to me. I know the more I listened to my Ultras the better they seemed to sound. That's subjective of course, but combined with the knowledge you just dropped it makes for a good argument for break in.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Oh, and I now can see where I might actually enjoy a set of headphones. The main thing I'm dealing with right now is discomfort. I'm thinking over the ear would suit me a lot better. I don't have access a lot of money right now, but I'd like to audition a decent set of over the ear.
A decent set of cans is nice to have in your bag of tricks. It would never be my primary source of music, but that doesn't mean that they don't serve their purpose.

Turn on, tune in, drop out ;)

I tell the GF--"I'm gonna be working with my headphones on, you are gonna have to come find me to get my attention".

I've mentioned it here before, but headphones have 2 HUGE advantages vs speakers:

1) High end audio can be experienced at a fraction of the cost as compared to a high end speaker. Seriously, you can get some incredible performance from cans for a couple hundred bucks, better than any speaker for the same $.

2) Room acoustics are a huge variable and likely play the biggest part in your listening experience. Headphones completely eliminate that variable.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis