Budget Planar Tweeter at Madisound

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
These look interesting and a good price -- I sure would like to here them -- however, I donated my Siming speakers (Dayton like clones) -- I am going to keep an eye out for some cheap or older RadioShack speakers on Craiglist and Ebay -- it seems that they can play lower than those old popular poly-carbonate 1/2 inch dome tweeters
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/specials/prd100-planar-ribbon-tweeter-4-ohm/

Not that interesting. Its response turns over at 3K and the Fs is 2600. That is basically a small planar isodynamic ribbon. If that were not to sound very rough it would need to be crossed over in the 6 to 10 KHz area.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
For several years, I have been using Airborne Air Motion Ribbon tweeters and I love them.

So far, I have been using the Model RT-4001 unit that can be crossed over down to 2000 Hz using a 3rd Order filter configuration. It has a very smooth frequency response up to 27 KHz and its impedance curve is linear at around 3 ohms. In addition, it provides a very wide horizontal dispersion giving an outstanding sound image which exceeds that of most dome tweeters.

That brand of tweeters represents an excellent value for the asking price. Meniscus Audio and Solen are both selling those transducers.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Not that interesting. Its response turns over at 3K and the Fs is 2600. That is basically a small planar isodynamic ribbon. If that were not to sound very rough it would need to be crossed over in the 6 to 10 KHz area.
Have you ever tried using a notch filter to conteract the effect of the Fs of a tweeter that is too close to the planned crossover frequency? According to you, can someone succeed with such endeavour?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis