Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's another one. Very listenable (@Bucknekked) with some good bass all the way through.

Chevelle: One Ocean

One Ocean.png

I have way too much time on my hands lately... I'll give it a break for a few and let some others post. :p

I do have a few more though.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Some Korn. Blind

This is from about 25 - 30 seconds in, with a bass string pluck in the middle of the graph and I don't understand... it's showing a lot of activity in the 20hz and infrasonic range, but I'm not feeling/hearing anything and the subs aren't moving at all. It's like that for the whole first 30 seconds or more.

View attachment 20673

Here's a graph with some more bass drops a little later in the song. The infrasonic activity shown on the chart just stops short, as you can see to the left.

View attachment 20675
Try turning off normalization (on tab "3", on the Scale line, change "Col" to "None"). That setting seems to focus the fundamentals to give you a narrower view of the frequency, but it can add blobs where none are audible.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, here's one. Tool: The Pot

it feels deeper than it measures. I see the purple blobs that drop down deep into the 30's. Are those blobs 2nd and 3rd order harmonics? I know this is a newb question, but I'm still a newb. I'm not even sure what odered harmonics are...

The Pot.png

*Just for fun, Ice is pretty cool too.

Ice.png

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Okay, here's one. Tool: The Pot

it feels deeper than it measures. I see the purple blobs that drop down deep into the 30's. Are those blobs 2nd and 3rd order harmonics? I know this is a newb question, but I'm still a newb. I'm not even sure what odered harmonics are...

View attachment 20681

*Just for fun, Ice is pretty cool too.

View attachment 20682
Harmonics, or overtones, occur above the fundamental, not below. The first is an octave above. Then a fifth above that, then another octave, major third, fifth, 7th I believe, and the rest are too insignificant to consider. You still haven't disabled the normalization setting, have you? You should also dial the amplitude range to 0 - 20dB.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Just came across this tasty track, an ambient jungle composition by Etherwood called Souls Rejoined. It's got a pleasant, warm feel with smooth synth, piano, soulful vocals lamenting nothing in particular, and a melodic bass line worthy of grown up subwoofers. I'll have to revisit this when my family is out shopping and I can crank it.

https://soundcloud.com/geologic25/etherwood-souls-rejoined

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Childish Gambino: 3005

This one always makes it into rotation when my son and I are taking turns picking songs. It's one of his favorites.

This is the beginning.

3005 mid.png

And a nice long section of this. Well into the 30's.

3005 Deep.png

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It is 2 AM again, and I won't be sleeping for another few hours at least. Kryptic Minds has always been the perfect fit for an insomnia mood, and this one nails it: Kryptic Minds - Hybrid

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just came across this tasty track, an ambient jungle composition by Etherwood called Souls Rejoined. It's got a pleasant, warm feel with smooth synth, piano, soulful vocals lamenting nothing in particular, and a melodic bass line worthy of grown up subwoofers. I'll have to revisit this when my family is out shopping and I can crank it.

https://soundcloud.com/geologic25/etherwood-souls-rejoined

This was cool. Love the sweeps, and deep stuff in places to wouldn't expect.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Since you enjoyed Souls Rejoined, I heard another track on NPR this morning that you might like: Avionics - Forest2. It's another ambient track, also with some satisfying sub bass. I'm eager to get home and give this one a proper listen.

Definitely a subwoofer candy tune.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is actually a movie trailer from a Blu Ray I rented today. It sounded better on the Blu Ray, but you definitely get some subwoofer candy in the YouTube version. Lots of deep bass rolling through the whole trailer. Even going sub sonic at spots.

Kong: Skull Island Comic Con Trailer

Kong Trailer.png

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not into Kong enough for the theater. It's a must see rental for sure though. Sam Jackson and John Goodman are a real big plus for me.
I'll just say it worked out that way. We went double feature one day. However, I do love Peter jacksons King Kong. Watch it a couple times a year. If for no other reason than the T-Rex battle.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Since you enjoyed Souls Rejoined, I heard another track on NPR this morning that you might like: Avionics - Forest2. It's another ambient track, also with some satisfying sub bass. I'm eager to get home and give this one a proper listen.

I would not classify that as ambient music, that is what I would call 'atmospheric drum and bass'. There is a lot of that stuff, like this, and it is very easy to listen to. For me, it is Sunday morning music, and I don't mean that in a bad way. It is breezy and upbeat, and I don't mind it at all.

True ambient music is very different though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Tool: Lateralus

The first minute of this song digs pretty deep. I noticed it before, but I didn't realize it was this well into the 30's, even flirting with the high 20's.

Lateralus.png

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Tool: Lateralus

The first minute of this song digs pretty deep. I noticed it before, but I didn't realize it was this well into the 30's, even flirting with the high 20's.

View attachment 20767
Change your amplitude range to -20 to 0 and turn off normalization. That blue stuff is just an artifact of the normalization. If there is indeed something playing that low, it's too soft to be audible. Those fundamentals look like upper 30s to me. Edit: Disregard the normalization critique. I see why you left normalization enabled now. There's hardly any yellow in that song with it disabled. Sorry about that. You still ought to turn up the "Threshold" dial to the right of "Sunset" though.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis