Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Milanese - Barry Dub. When the kids say 'dank', this is exactly what that means. This tune is seediness and squalor incarnate. It sounds like a bunch of junkie squatters passed out on bargain basement heroin in an busted up abandoned house. Just so grimey. I really love this tune.

This one I listened to with both ports open, eq2, and 1 port, eq1. It digs deeper in 1 port /eq1 mode, but I think I prefer the headroom. Very little of what I listen to goes this deep. That was pretty awesome. Just like you described.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I downloaded and messed with Spectrum Lab a little today, trying to get the settings to match this guy's as closely as the current version allows. Never had much luck getting worthwhile visual output. @shadyJ, when you create spectrograms, do you import the audio file into Spectrum Lab, or do you do real-time analysis using a loopback cable? Or did I completely miss the point of how normal people use Spectrum Lab?

Eh, I never was crazy about the vertical output of Spectrum Lab anyway, when Audacity, Cool Edit Pro, and every other audio application adheres to a standard convention of time on the X axis.

I downloaded Sonic Visualiser and had instant success with it. I might write up a quick guide if anyone is interested.

Alexvnder - Memories is a smooth ambient track with a bass line frequenting the 20's:

Astral - Alone (Feat. Slyleaf) is another smooth groove that's pleasant when you're in the mood for something relaxing with a bass line that can give you a massage:

I don't use spectrumlab, I use a program that is a part of a feature set that came with my MOTU sound interface. It is essentially doing realtime analysis, but with the software mixer, not with a loopback cable. I haven't used spectrumlab myself so I can't help you out there.

I am tooling around with this sonic visualizer, it is fun stuff. A quick guide would be nice. I am trying to get my results to look just like yours, and I am getting close but not quite doing it. For example, here is a piece of that 'Barry Dub' tune that I posted last night:

Can you tell me the settings you are using?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This one I listened to with both ports open, eq2, and 1 port, eq1. It digs deeper in 1 port /eq1 mode, but I think I prefer the headroom. Very little of what I listen to goes this deep. That was pretty awesome. Just like you described.
I liked this one too. My kid was standing in the kitchen in a hot spot, and when it would drop to the low stuff his eyes bugged out and he started looking around the kitchen like the ceiling was gonna come down. Love it!

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I don't use spectrumlab, I use a program that is a part of a feature set that came with my MOTU sound interface. It is essentially doing realtime analysis, but with the software mixer, not with a loopback cable. I haven't used spectrumlab myself so I can't help you out there.

I am tooling around with this sonic visualizer, it is fun stuff. A quick guide would be nice. I am trying to get my results to look just like yours, and I am getting close but not quite doing it. For example, here is a piece of that 'Barry Dub' tune that I posted last night:

Can you tell me the settings you are using?
See http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/sonic-visualiser-an-intuitive-audio-file-analyzer.107186/ for my settings. I'm basically using the Melodic Range Spectrogram with these settings:

... and an option or two check marked in the View menu. I'm still playing with the settings a bit. Not sure whether I had Normalization set to "Col" for my previous screenshots. I haven't decided whether I prefer "Col" or "None" there.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Good stuff rojo. Here is a chunk of Barry Dub with similar settings to yours:

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Good stuff rojo. Here is a chunk of Barry Dub with similar settings to yours:
I like it. And the visual representation of the hot spots coincide with the sliding bass notes you hear in the track. If you go to View --> Show All Overlays, you can include the color key on the left edge. You can also hide the zoom wheels from the View menu, but I think if you use File --> Export Image File, the wheels are excluded from the exported PNG. At least they are on my machine.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Can you load iTunes files into the sonic visualiser? It doesn't seem to want me to do that...

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
@William Lemmerhirt Perhaps not. I've successfully loaded mp3 and flac, but got an error last night trying to load an mp4 video with an aac encoded audio track that I ripped from YouTube. I had to convert the file to mp3 before I could load it. I guess the software doesn't like the Apple audio codec.

If you're at a loss for how to convert aac to mp3 or alac to flac, you could try Audacity. Or from time to time https://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ offers paid conversion utilities for free. There happens to be one offered today that might suit your evil purposes, though I've never tried that particular program and couldn't promise it handles audio format conversion.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks rojo. I did manage to load one file from iTunes as I was dozing off last night, but I think it was originally an MP3 that was converted when I transferred it to my library. Thank for the heads up!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
White Ring - IxC999, not a tune for everyone, but I do like the sound of it. It belongs to a rather moody genre of music called 'witch house', which sounds like the kind of music that goth kids listen to while painting their finger nails black. Not my genre really, but right now it is 1:50 AM and it is storming outside, and this song fits perfectly. A deep, sinister bass line.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
White Ring - IxC999, not a tune for everyone, but I do like the sound of it. It belongs to a rather moody genre of music called 'witch house', which sounds like the kind of music that goth kids listen to while painting their finger nails black. Not my genre really, but right now it is 1:50 AM and it is storming outside, and this song fits perfectly. A deep, sinister bass line.

I dug this a lot.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Broken Note - Crux: classic, brutal dubstep tune that is the equivalent of a horror film. Wonderfully menacing sound on this tune.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
shadyj
in my ever long quest to grow up and have skills someday, I downloaded Sonic Visualizer and gave it a try.
my graph of the Flight of the Cosmic Hippo looks different than yours, but I'm pretty sure most of the differences would be x axis scales and other cosmetics. I think I'm displaying the same frequencies.
This would be a great skill to build for dealing with newb questions while at my house. It would be the Wizard of Oz kind thing : there's really nothing behind the curtain but an old guy in a turban. But hey,
it will look convincing if I do it right.:)
View attachment 20641

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sonic visualizer is not going to look like the graphs that I normally do. I would aim for the look that Rojo gets from his settings, that will probably be the most cogent way to look at strong bass lines.

By the way, your attachment didn't seem to take. If I were you, I would use postimage.io to load images. Once you have uploaded the image to postimage, copy the 'direct link' address at postimage's image link list, and use that address in this forum's image linky thing. That is a easy and reliable way to get images up here. Let me know if you have any questions.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Sonic visualizer is not going to look like the graphs that I normally do. I would aim for the look that Rojo gets from his settings, that will probably be the most cogent way to look at strong bass lines.

By the way, your attachment didn't seem to take. If I were you, I would use postimage.io to load images. Once you have uploaded the image to postimage, copy the 'direct link' address at postimage's image link list, and use that address in this forum's image linky thing. That is a easy and reliable way to get images up here. Let me know if you have any questions.
shadyj
OK, I tried the postimage.io website. Lets see if it works ok.
I have fought with images before and most of the time get them to work, but only after a hassle.
This seems like a painless way to get it done. Thanks for the suggestion.

Here's my spectrograph of the Flight of the Cosmic Hippo.
It looks pretty cool and I think its accurate. Rojo was indeed the inspiration for the attempt.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Very nice! If you wanted to place more emphasis on the fundamental, you could squeeze the vertical values some more, maybe squash that range down to 10 Hz to 200 Hz. But in the broad range in your picture, we do get to see the fundamentals and harmonics of the other instruments. Anyway, lookin good!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
SPL and Roommate - Face of Horror If you enjoyed the last one I posted, Crux, you will probably like this. This tune is the sound of a low-tempo, low-frequency, looming, lumbering monstrosity. A great tune to crank hard, it is a bruiser, this is real subwoofer candy.

Here is some of Face of Horror in Spectrum Visualizer:

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I need to catch up on the last couple. I'm in a subwoofer candy kind of mood today.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I need to catch up on the last couple. I'm in a subwoofer candy kind of mood today.
Same here. Warming up my subs before I do some REW sweeps.

Keep em comin shady. Good stuff.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
SPL and Roommate - Face of Horror If you enjoyed the last one I posted, Crux, you will probably like this. This tune is the sound of a low-tempo, low-frequency, looming, lumbering monstrosity. A great tune to crank hard, it is a bruiser, this is real subwoofer candy.

Here is some of Face of Horror in Spectrum Visualizer:
This one did grab me. Cranked it up to -10 and enjoyed the massage. Those Hsu's were moving!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis