Sony 75 inch 940d or Sony 65 inch ZD9

A

Adam Kelly

Junior Audioholic
I would also be interested in getting feedback from those that went from a 65 inch TV to a 75 inch TV in terms of whether that jump really did make a big difference in terms of immersion!!!

I currently have a 65 inch Sony KDL850C 3D 1080p TV and seem to be one of the few that like the home 3D viewing experience. I have been holding off from purchasing a 4K while the technology works itself out but am thinking now would be a good time since HDR is more streamlined and 3D is going the way of the dinosaur and I think this will be my last chance for the foreseeable future.

I am considering the Sony 940D 75 inch because it would give me a more immersive movie experience for both 2d and 3d movies. I sit about 10.5 feet away from my TV and find myself wishing I had a bigger TV for that more immersive experience. However, I have heard some negative things about the 940d. I also know it is nowhere near the standard set by the Zd9 in terms of specifications.

I am also considering the 65 inch Sony Zd9. I wish I could afford the 75 inch but it's way out of my price range. I know the Zd9 is a better overall TV with the better processor, better backlight system, and brighter nits but I would be getting the same size TV and fear I would be going back to wishing I had a bigger TV.

My question is, for those that have experience with these TVs, what are your thoughts? What has your experience been with watching 3D as well as 2D? In your opinion do the better specs and performance of the Zd9 outweigh the larger TV size of the 940d that would give me a more immersive experience? As I mentioned, I want to continue to watch my 3D blu rays so having 3D and having good 3D performance IS important to me.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It's actually pretty simple.

You either want a bigger TV and sacrifice a bit of picture quality, or you get a better TV, but sacrifice size.

I sat about 10' or so from my 120" screen so I know what you're talking about when you say immersive. However, once I got my 65" Panasonic VT60 I found myself wishing my projector had a better picture.

There is going to be a trade off either way.

AUDIOCRAZE

AUDIOCRAZE

Junior Audioholic
I agree with the above post however I will add that the ZD9 is the best TV in the world. I've spent 12 grand in the last 2 years buying high end tvs. If you added up all the hours I've spent comparing all these tvs it would probably add up to a week worth of time. Having said that the decision is simple go with the ZD9 purely on performance and picture quality. Yes it's nice to have a large tv but when you stack it to the picture quality of the ZD9 I think the decision is pretty simple. I would add that if you have a Oppo 203 take it into whatever store they have the other Sony and hook it up and compare. That bluray player seriously supercharged my ks9500 to near ZD9 levels saving me another 6grand.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Have you checked out the Sony X900E? It has the best picture for the money of any set I've seen (just my opinion, of course, YMMV).

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I agree with the above post however I will add that the ZD9 is the best TV in the world. I've spent 12 grand in the last 2 years buying high end tvs. If you added up all the hours I've spent comparing all these tvs it would probably add up to a week worth of time. Having said that the decision is simple go with the ZD9 purely on performance and picture quality. Yes it's nice to have a large tv but when you stack it to the picture quality of the ZD9 I think the decision is pretty simple. I would add that if you have a Oppo 203 take it into whatever store they have the other Sony and hook it up and compare. That bluray player seriously supercharged my ks9500 to near ZD9 levels saving me another 6grand.
Having had a lot of Sony TV's I 100% agree if Picture quality is most important ZD9 is an excellent choice, unless they release their KD-65A1 OLED (No idea on pricing for that model).

I am waiting for my dealer to get a Sony 4k VPL VW675ES projector distressed box deal, then I am pulling the trigger ;)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree about the PQ sacrifice.

However, I am 100% for screen SIZE over PQ. :D

I would take my 150" BRIGHT screen any day over the best 65" OLED TV. :D

G

gzubeck

Audioholic
all I can say is ouch...I bought the sony 55xbr850c a year and a half ago for $1100 with the x1 processor and I've been very happy with it. I don't know how happy I would be paying $7,000 for a tv and a year later you can get it for $3,500 on closeout. Paying for R&D is a bitch...

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
I was just going through this but with the X900E and the price difference between the 65" and 75" was almost double. I went with the 65" and am going to use the extra 2 grand on starting my home theater which is why I just signed up here. This is an amazing TV and I couldn't be happier for the 2k dollar price tag. After I get the home theater sorted out I will buy the 75" version when it's dropped in price some since these are the new models and move the 65" into my bedroom. Best of luck with your decision you really cant go wrong either way.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis