Audio Power Cables / Cords - Do they really make a difference?

Craig Gordon

Craig Gordon

Junior Audioholic
Although I do recommend Nordost WHITELIGHT Glass Fiber Optic Cables – (about $33,000) because nothing transmits 1's and 0's better. Inferior cables often transmit a random number. Its infuriating.
For instance, the other day I was listening to my special AIFF recording of the Beatles Abbey Road and, strictly in the name of science, I tested a lesser brand's fiber optic cable. As the stream of 1's and 0's flowed through the cables I definitely heard a few 7's and possibly a 13 come through the speakers and it simply ruined the musical experience.

Craig Gordon

Craig Gordon

Junior Audioholic
Here's an article and a statement from a guy who has been profound anti-cable all his life and all his life has been using dirt-cheap cables... I am not taking any sides, just referring to this article:

Here's what he writes about....

What if some of you guys in AH did the same, change one single cable in a pre or power amp to a Valhalla 2 Power cable, and then listen to see what you would experience. I am sure Nordost would kindly borrow it to you :p
ZZZ.jpg

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, I'm not!

I'm a fan of sitting down in the evening with a glass of whitewine with my wife and have an incredibly nice evening with nice music.... :p

I'm a fan of going to musicverein in Vienna listeining to the best musicians on the planet.... :p
(read: This is where the new years concerts from Vienna takes place)

I'm a fan of great musical experiences.... :p

I'm a fan of Kate Bush (music wise).... :p

I'm fan of transmission line speakers.... :p
(Meadowlark audio)

I'm a fan of small, simple two way studio monitors :p

I'm a fan of working hard.... :p

I'm a fan at how the Norwegians at Seas over and over again are making world class drivers used all over the world in benchmark designs.... :p

And I Don't think a person should be called an idiot simply because we don't understand or can't explain what the heck is going on :p
That's nice, your point being as far as power cables and silly interconnects go?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I heard this from one of my old friends, who is now retired but worked in the retail Hi-Fi business, and knew Peter Walker, the founder of Quad.
Once, Peter Walker was presenting his new line of electrostatic speakers in an audio show somewhere in U.S. One technician went to see him with the question: "Mr Walker, what type of speaker cable do you recommend to drive your electrostatic speakers? He simply replied: "Preferably one that conducts electricity!"

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
One of their customers was there and was wearing a NASA windbreaker. We started talking, geek stuff mostly. I found out he was a thermodynamic engineer out at the cape. So I asked him about the freezing thing. He laughed because he had read it as well. And tried it. And heard a difference. So he decided to find out why. As it turns out, because the coefficient of expansion/contraction is different for the plastic and the aluminium substrate of the disc, separation occurs and microfractures form in the plastic. Your eyes can't see them, but the error correction of the disc player absolutely can and it goes into overdrive while playing the disc. Thus, you hear a difference. And since you paid 5$ more to have someone essentially ruin your disc, it better sound better.
I stopped reading Audio magazine when they advised using a green Magic Marker on the edge of CDs, because it absorbed scattered light from the LED and prevented the error correction being used too much. Said it sounded better, it tightened the bass, rinse, lather, repeat. I stopped reading it and I got them free since I worked at a stereo store!

Were you at Sony when John Briesch was VP or President?

highfigh

highfigh

Here's an article and a statement from a guy who has been profound anti-cable all his life and all his life has been using dirt-cheap cables... I am not taking any sides, just referring to this article:

Here's what he writes about changing one single power cable, do you guys suggest this is all imagination?
Before putting the Valhalla 2 in I played a few songs using the Red Dawn power cord so I could get an idea of the sound qualities. When I put in the Valhalla 2 it was a shocker. Not only was there a huge difference in the sound, I preferred it to even the ODIN power cable! The vocals once again were cleared up and fattened up. They were more into my room and more 3D with literally NO haze or fog. Sounds were popping out from space all around the room. The slight dullness and flatness of the Red Dawn power cord was gone. Now the sound was full of life and realism.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/nordost-valhalla-2-the-importance-of-cables-in-high-end-audio/

What if some of you guys in AH did the same, change one single cable in a pre or power amp to a Valhalla 2 Power cable, and then listen to see what you would experience. I am sure Nordost would kindly borrow it to you :p
WTF is that little piece of wood supposed to do??????????????????????

L1C4

L1C4

Enthusiast
We are sometimes asked our opinion of exotic power cords and cables and whether or not they are beneficial or worth the added cost over the stock power cords that come with A/V electronics. With the help of Blue Jeans Cable, we explore the importance of properly designed power cords while simultaneously debunking the myths and bogus claims perpetuated by many exotic cable manufacturers and A/V review magazines. Always remember the Audioholics.com mantra "only poorly designed cables can be sonically distinguishable" and you will never make a bad purchasing decision. Once all of the nonsensical claims are peeled away, only three very basic and essential metrics are left to ensure quality power transfer from your wall outlet to you’re A/V gear which we discuss in detail herein.

Discuss "Audio Power Cables / Cords - Do they really make a difference?" here. Read the article.
One of the often unmentioned issues is a dirty power line which results in your outlet being bad. A lot of today's newer components also have internally power filtering which somewhat undercuts the value of the cable m.

highfigh

highfigh

One of the often unmentioned issues is a dirty power line which results in your outlet being bad. A lot of today's newer components also have internally power filtering which somewhat undercuts the value of the cable m.
Old components had similar filtering- it's more for removing ripple from the voltage/current after the rectifier but people discuss it now, which didn't happen in the past.

The guitar amp in the link has 156dB of filtering on the preamp tube plates- it was made between late-1957 and late-1960.

https://www.ampbooks.com/mobile/classic-circuits/bassman-summary/

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
of course those cables make a difference! To your wallet and the profit margin of the company selling them! And the companies selling those thick cloth covered power cords must know more about electricity than [ insert AVR maker here ]. Don't you know those fancy cables can extract more electricity from the wall outlet! :cool:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

... Don't you know those fancy cables can extract more electricity from the wall outlet! :cool:
I think they draw less but can do more. Just a little more design and it will be nothing and do everything. ;) :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I think they draw less but can do more. Just a little more design and it will be nothing and do everything. ;) :D
Probably some manufacturers will come out with fancy power cables with arrows just like with the speaker wires and audiophools will buy them!

Of course, more power will go through to the electronic devices cause the arrow will be in the right direction, toward the sound system!

highfigh

highfigh

Probably some manufacturers will come out with fancy power cables with arrows just like with the speaker wires and audiophools will buy them!

Of course, more power will go through to the electronic devices cause the arrow will be in the right direction, toward the sound system!
If that ever happens, the arguments will turn to the material used for the arrows.

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
Check out a PS Audio AC 5.
compare it to a stock power cord.......

Check back when you do........

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis