B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Does anyone have experience using an XBox One as Blue Ray Player? I could save some space in my cabinet if I knew how it compared to other Blue Ray players in SQ. I had read also that they support Dolby Atmos.

My Receiver is an Integra DRX-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Does anyone have experience using an XBox One as Blue Ray Player? I could save some space in my cabinet if I knew how it compared to other Blue Ray players in SQ. I had read also that they support Dolby Atmos.

My Receiver is an Integra DRX-5.

Works fine for me, I do not have a dedicated BDP in my HT setup, I just use the XBONE. I do believe that you have to go download a Disc Player App.

When you connect via HDMI, you are just using the XBONE as a digital transport anyway.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
You read wrong unfortunately. I have an Xbox One S and it does not yet support advanced audio codecs, not even True HD or DTS Master formats and it is a recent purchase with the latest firmware update installed. I had to realize this unfortunately after I had purchased it, but supposedly (sarcastically holding breath) there's a firmware update coming out this year that will allow the Xbox to properly make use of those formats. Microsoft fell way short on this one, IMO, doing very well by incorporating 4k blu-ray capability into the machine, but simultaneously shooting themselves in the foot by not considering the proper audio codecs. Atmos, DTS: X.. fugghedaboutit... at least for now.

So here's what you get in the meantime:

Assuming you're using the HDMI output from the Xbox, it will allow you to select either stereo (2 channel) audio output, or either 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed multi-channel output via PCM. It will give you the option to select bitstream output as well, but then it ties you to either encoding that signal as standard Dolby Digital or standard DTS and none of the advanced formats. I find this particularly annoying. Usually a bitstream output will let the receiver decode the signal and play it in its native format/codec. But these bitstream options will limit you to standard DD or DTS only. If you choose you can also hook up an optic cable and output your audio via optic which is also selectable in the Xbox audio settings, but the same limitations apply here and you're not going to get anything higher than standard DD or DTS.

I have mine currently selected to Uncompressed 5.1 out which seemed to be about the best option available from the console until that firmware update appears. My AVR sees it as multi-channel in and will basically pass that signal along to the appropriate channel outputs. It sounds good, but I lack (and miss) the ability to see that nice indication that Dolby Digital True HD, DTS Master, Atmos, etc. are actually being used.

That being said, it does a pretty great job of displaying 4k content on my Samsung TV via the AVR. I used to use an old PS3 for my blu-ray player so naturally got the Xbox when upgrading to 4k - one other minor thing to note here: While the Sony machine automatically played BD discs without having to install a separate app, the Xbox does not. You have to actually install the app from its online store (it's free), then the Blu-Ray player shows up in your apps list; from there you can play your 4k and standard Blu-Ray discs when you put them in.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Thank you Halon for the post. Sounds like I may be in the market for a Blue Ray player soon because I don't trust waiting on MS to do an update. That said, at least I have something to get me by.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I should clarify - that selecting the uncompressed formats is allowing the Xbox to decode the audio on the disc, but then it simply spits it out as a PCM signal to the receiver. As the highest channel setting is only 7.1 uncompressed out, I do believe that I'm still getting the best audio available from Dolby TrueHD and/or DTS Master audio tracks, and from what I have read myself and (sort of) understand is that unless a system is specifically capable of decoding the extra object-based content from the Atmos/DTS: X formats it will default to one of the other advanced 7.1 formats such as TrueHD or Master. That is until the Xbox can actually bitstream those formats right to the receiver where that decoding capability is built in to most AVR's with 4k pass-through these days, the best you're ever going to get from it is decoded Dolby Digital TrueHD/DTS Master sent to your receiver as 5.1 or 7.1 multi-channel depending on which you select. So I "think" you're still getting the most from those formats, it's just stripping it of its actual format name and sending to the AVR as multi-channel instead. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. :)

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I know when I play Halo 5 it sounds pretty killer... :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You read wrong unfortunately. I have an Xbox One S and it does not yet support advanced audio codecs, not even True HD or DTS Master formats and it is a recent purchase with the latest firmware update installed. I had to realize this unfortunately after I had purchased it, but supposedly (sarcastically holding breath) there's a firmware update coming out this year that will allow the Xbox to properly make use of those formats. Microsoft fell way short on this one, IMO, doing very well by incorporating 4k blu-ray capability into the machine, but simultaneously shooting themselves in the foot by not considering the proper audio codecs. Atmos, DTS: X.. fugghedaboutit... at least for now.

So here's what you get in the meantime:

Assuming you're using the HDMI output from the Xbox, it will allow you to select either stereo (2 channel) audio output, or either 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed multi-channel output via PCM. It will give you the option to select bitstream output as well, but then it ties you to either encoding that signal as standard Dolby Digital or standard DTS and none of the advanced formats. I find this particularly annoying. Usually a bitstream output will let the receiver decode the signal and play it in its native format/codec. But these bitstream options will limit you to standard DD or DTS only. If you choose you can also hook up an optic cable and output your audio via optic which is also selectable in the Xbox audio settings, but the same limitations apply here and you're not going to get anything higher than standard DD or DTS.

I have mine currently selected to Uncompressed 5.1 out which seemed to be about the best option available from the console until that firmware update appears. My AVR sees it as multi-channel in and will basically pass that signal along to the appropriate channel outputs. It sounds good, but I lack (and miss) the ability to see that nice indication that Dolby Digital True HD, DTS Master, Atmos, etc. are actually being used.

That being said, it does a pretty great job of displaying 4k content on my Samsung TV via the AVR. I used to use an old PS3 for my blu-ray player so naturally got the Xbox when upgrading to 4k - one other minor thing to note here: While the Sony machine automatically played BD discs without having to install a separate app, the Xbox does not. You have to actually install the app from its online store (it's free), then the Blu-Ray player shows up in your apps list; from there you can play your 4k and standard Blu-Ray discs when you put them in.
Honestly, I haven't been interested in Atmos so I haven't looked into that.

But, are you a member of the XBOX preview program? This is where they roll out beta versions of future updates to some users. It may be worth checking to see if Atmos is already available to the preview XBOX users.

I think you need an invite to get into the preview program. I'm in it, but haven't looked into it lately.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
I will check into that. How did you get your invite?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

My bro in law was in the program and sent me the invite. Even at that, it took a couple weeks after he sent it before I actually got it.

I think that may be the deal--you can only get into it if someone already in it sends an invite.

Dunno for sure. But, check up on it and if it looks like it may be useful for you, then you can send me your gamertag via PM and I can try to send you an invite.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I'm still a moderator on their forums. I haven't checked in, in a while, but I still have some friends there I keep in contact with. I'll dig in a little. I used to be in the program also, but like I said. Haven't been active in a while.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The preview program is now available to everyone. The invite thing went away a while ago. It's based on your level of activity and what you use. That determines what they toss your way to preview. Then you give your feedback, etc.

All you have to do is download an app (Xbox Insider Hub). It's free in the app store, I just installed it. I was previously in the program and it has me at level 2. Not sure what that signifies... But I'll probably have access to more stuff. I've been in a lot of their programs and early demos (one of the perks of being a mod there. I used to get free Xbox Live). Right now my status is pending though and I can't access anything.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Does the Xbox one s upscale to 4K in the games?
As far as I understand it, it doesn't actually play games in native 4k, but will upscale them to 4k much as it will do with any video content that is not native 4k. It does however allow HDR pass through for game content which can greatly enhance a game's visuals. But I'm not really a gamer. I just enjoy the Halo franchise. I've had a Playstation for years, and my last Xbox was the original one way back when, with the 1st Halo game. So it's nice to see how far it's come since then. :)

R

ruffman

Enthusiast
tried playing several different blu ray disks on a new xbox one x and each disk would lock up and kick out to main xbox menu. interestingly, no problems playing a 4k disk.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis