F

fosgate

Enthusiast
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I'm glad to be a part of something that deals with what I love! I have a question: My subwoofers don't have the volume they should have. I think the problem is with the output voltage of my Yamaha Aventage RX-A720 receiver. I've got 2 Polk Audio psw505 subwoofers. When I swapped from my old Onkyo receiver, to the Yamaha, I lost significant volume in my subwoofers. Its like my new Yamaha doesn't have the output voltage the Onkyo had. I'm big into car audio too, and we use line drivers all the time to increase voltage in situations like this. Do they make a "line driver" for home audio? Any way I can increase my subwoofer output voltage? Any help is greatly appreciated.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm pretty sure your problem is subwoofer levels from your receiver settings. There should be level setting for all the speakers, go there and rise your subwoofer levels to what you like.

F

fosgate

Enthusiast
Hi. I wish it were that easy. Sub volume control is maxed out on the receiver. The subs themselves are on about 1/2 each. It was a night and day difference going from the Onkyo to the Yamaha. Subwoofer volume was set at roughly half way on the old receiver(Onkyo) It's the output voltage of my receiver. U just don't know how to fix it. Everything that boosts signals is 12 volt.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I'm glad to be a part of something that deals with what I love! I have a question: My subwoofers don't have the volume they should have. I think the problem is with the output voltage of my Yamaha Aventage RX-A720 receiver. I've got 2 Polk Audio psw505 subwoofers. When I swapped from my old Onkyo receiver, to the Yamaha, I lost significant volume in my subwoofers. Its like my new Yamaha doesn't have the output voltage the Onkyo had. I'm big into car audio too, and we use line drivers all the time to increase voltage in situations like this. Do they make a "line driver" for home audio? Any way I can increase my subwoofer output voltage? Any help is greatly appreciated.
All receivers pretty much have the same subwoofer output voltage. There is something wrong in your set up. Did you set up manually or do the auto set up?

Could you please list the volume settings in db of all your speakers from the speaker set up screen?

The volume settings of all speakers affects the volume of the others especially the sub. My guess is you have high volume settings on your other speakers, which will limit the sub output relative to the others.

F

fosgate

Enthusiast
I've done that. It is not a problem with a volume level. That was the first thing I checked. I need a way to amplify the sub out signal from my receiver. I've tried everything else.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you tried raising the gain level on the sub beyond 1/2 point?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I've done that. It is not a problem with a volume level. That was the first thing I checked. I need a way to amplify the sub out signal from my receiver. I've tried everything else.
I don't think you do. You have not posted your set up levels. There is nothing significantly different about the Sub pre out output on your new and old receiver. I am telling you that you have made a mistake, and unless you cooperate we can't help you.

We have taken thousands of posts here over the years and have never had to advise using a line amp on the sub out; not ever. You are the odd man out and we have to help you find out why.

Also there is the possibility that if you have done everything right you have a faulty receiver.

If you insist on a line amp you will have to build it yourself.

F

fosgate

Enthusiast
Yes, I have. It takes both of them being turned up almost all the way before I get any decent volume. I've been researching and thus is apparently a problem with a lot of Yamaha receivers. The sub pre out is only . 7 volts.

F

fosgate

Enthusiast
My sub level is + 10 and the other speakers are at +5. It's not a setting problem. And it's not just me. Lots of people have this exact same problem.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

My sub level is + 10 and the other speakers are at +5. It's not a setting problem. And it's not just me. Lots of people have this exact same problem.
Set your other speakers to 0db. That will increase the relative output to the sub.
Yes, I have. It takes both of them being turned up almost all the way before I get any decent volume. I've been researching and thus is apparently a problem with a lot of Yamaha receivers. The sub pre out is only . 7 volts.
That is a normal pre out voltage for input full modulation. However there will be headroom, so that is not the maximal voltage available by a long shot.

In any event for the sub to play half as loud on your new receiver compared to your old one, then the output would have to be 10 times less because spl changes as the log of the driving voltage.

If you lower the volume of the other speakers you will have more gain to the sub relative to the other speakers, and that is what you need to do.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Set your other speakers to 0db. That will increase the relative output to the sub.

That is a normal pre out voltage for input full modulation. However there will be headroom, so that is not the maximal voltage available by a long shot.

In any event for the sub to play half as loud on your new receiver compared to your old one, then the output would have to be 10 times less because spl changes as the log of the driving voltage.

If you lower the volume of the other speakers you will have more gain to the sub relative to the other speakers, and that is what you need to do.

I have my fronts at 0db, sub is set to 8db (max I can go is 12) only reason I set it so high is for whatever reason everything I play on amazon fire barely turns the sub on. Could it be a source issue? My Ps3 and anthem play without issues with sub set to 0dB.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I have my fronts at 0db, sub is set to 8db (max I can go is 12) only reason I set it so high is for whatever reason everything I play on amazon fire barely turns the sub on. Could it be a source issue? My Ps3 and anthem play without issues with sub set to 0dB.
You answered your own question.
If the sub plays properly with other inputs, ps3, but not with that amazon input, it is the amazon streaming that is at fault. :)

F

fosgate

Enthusiast
I didn't write that! I'm the OP. Somebody else ask a question on this thread.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

OK. I'll try that. Thank you for all of your help.
By the way, you have the same sub, right?
Are you using an SPL meter to level match all the channels with the receiver's internal test tone?
You should do that.
Is the receiver properly set up to allow the sub to fire on other sources than a 5.1 input?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't write that! I'm the OP. Somebody else ask a question on this thread.
He didn't quote you either.

How did levels get set for the sub and speakers to begin with? YPAO or ?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis