Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
WD 2TB storage drive
Dual, Asus 27" MX279H monitors- Best Upgrade this build
Logitech G600 Mouse
Razor Blackwidow mechanical keyboard

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Nice set up! Not too different from mine actually. I just got an Asus 24" VG248QE monitor and I really like it! It needed some work to get the color good, but for gaming it is great! I have an Asus VX238H monitor as well which has been good. I cant decide if I want another VG248QE, or an IPS monitor (Dell U2412M) which is much better suited to editing. I am also in desperate need of a keyboard and mouse upgrade for my main computer. I am not sure if I want a mechanical keyboard or not though.

Sean

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Great looking wiring. 32gb ram?
Its 64gig, but i recently got rid of the vengence ram as it was not fitting in well with the x79 motherboard so i picked up 16gig of dominator and that is ample enough and sits better with that board.I was having issues with that ram so i put it aside as i can still use it as i just dont think the vengence goes well with the x79 board. From personall experience and of others i know off i would not recommend the vengence ram with that board. That i am sure off.:)

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Its 64gig, but i recently got rid of the vengence ram as it was not fitting in well with the x79 motherboard so i picked up 16gig of dominator and that is ample enough and sits better with that board.I was having issues with that ram so i put it aside as i can still use it as i just dont think the vengence goes well with the x79 board. From personall experience and of others i know off i would not recommend the vengence ram with that board. That i am sure off.:)
64gb Ram - Last I heard there are whole bunch of desktop apps which could use all of it
/s
I have 32gb ram in my custom nas freenas box - 24gb is used by read/write cache. it does help with large files transfers - fully saturating my gig link. On desktop i rarely hit 8gb limit

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
On a desktop, if its pure gaming, you will get 0 performance increase for going with more than 8GB, at least at present time. I would focus on faster memory at 8GB than more memory. I have yet to read one report that adding 16GB will have an increase in gaming, sometimes slower, sometimes possibly a FPS or 2. Money would be better spent on high end video cards or SSDs

That being said I just finished building an X99 System and have 16GB 4x4 DDR4 :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
On a desktop, if its pure gaming, you will get 0 performance increase for going with more than 8GB, at least at present time. I would focus on faster memory at 8GB than more memory. I have yet to read one report that adding 16GB will have an increase in gaming, sometimes slower, sometimes possibly a FPS or 2. Money would be better spent on high end video cards or SSDs

That being said I just finished building an X99 System and have 16GB 4x4 DDR4 :)
Games start to actually use the extra ram. I see few modern titles (like BF1) which list 16gb as recommended memory. That said anything over that is 100% guaranteed waste for next few years at the least.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would love to find those 'classic' video-parlor type games to play on my iMac! Centipede, Donkey-Kong, etc. Remember those machines, put quarters in? :p

iMac (mid-2011 model) 27-inch (2560x1440)
Processor - 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5
Memory: 32gb 1333Mhz DDR3
1tb SATA HD
SuperDrive: reads, burns CD's and DVD's
3tb external SATA HD (LaCie)
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512mb

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I would love to find those 'classic' video-parlor type games to play on my iMac! Centipede, Donkey-Kong, etc. Remember those machines, put quarters in? :p

iMac (mid-2011 model) 27-inch (2560x1440)
Processor - 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5
Memory: 32gb 1333Mhz DDR3
1tb SATA HD
SuperDrive: reads, burns CD's and DVD's
3tb external SATA HD (LaCie)
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512mb
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192

Why go halfway when you can go all-in? I built my own bar-top arcade from RPi.

To "insert quarters", I push a button on the front!

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I would recommend CybertronPC Palladium GTX-1060M.
Nowadays, it is probably one of the Top PCs available on the market.
If you are thinking about run all your games smooth this is your choice and you will never regret.
It's nice, but most of the people heavily into gaming prefer to spec out and build their own PCs part by part.

Aaron_Hunt

Aaron_Hunt

Enthusiast

I totally agree because RAM would be totally useful only for multi tasking or any video rendering. Its better to upgrade the video card since the performance would be depended on it. BTW, i am getting GTX 1080 and might be able to stick with it for a while.:p:p:D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I totally agree because RAM would be totally useful only for multi tasking or any video rendering. Its better to upgrade the video card since the performance would be depended on it. BTW, i am getting GTX 1080 and might be able to stick with it for a while.:p:p:D
I will revise this post to say there are a few games now that are starting to take advantage of 16GB

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Benchmark+16GB+vs+8GB+gaming&view=detail&mid=2E4E950FD445928770282E4E950FD44592877028&FORM=VIRE

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Benchmark+16GB+vs+8GB+gaming&&view=detail&mid=C868CC903DBE1BDD3784C868CC903DBE1BDD3784&rvsmid=2E4E950FD445928770282E4E950FD44592877028&fsscr=0&FORM=VDFSRV

So there you go, I think DX12 also does a better job with memory and cpu usage.

My Evolved PC Configuration from 2014 - Not a whole lot of difference

Corsair 900D Case (Full Tower Case and then some) - I just like to have room to work,
Intel Core I7 5930K CPU
Asus X99 Deluxe II
Corsair Water Cooling I think its the 110 or 105 don't rmember
16GB (4x4) Corsair Vengence Memory
Corsair 1200w Modular Power Supply
Zotac Amp! Extreme 1080 GPU
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB m.2 Drive (Boot Drive Windows) FAST!!!
Samsung 512GB 860 Pro SSD Drive
Samsung 256GB 850 PRO SSD Drive
Corsair Force 4 256G SSD Drive
2x 3TB Western Digital Black HD (used to back up my NAS)
1TB External Iomega Drive
Creative X-Fi Pro Gamer Pcie sound card
Emotiva Airmotiv 4 Speakers
Dell 34" WQHD U3415H 4K Monitor

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis