OPPO HA-1 Headphone Amplifier Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Calling the OPPO HA-1 simply a headphone amplifier is kind of like referring to my smartphone as just a cell phone. Yes, the HA-1 is technically a headphone amplifier, but for $1,199 you get a lot more, including a state of the art DAC, stereo preamp functions, and a few other nice surprises in a compact chassis. In short, the HA-1 is everything a 21st century stereo preamp should be. Curious to know more? Click to keep reading.

Discuss "OPPO HA-1 Headphone Amplifier Preview" here. Read the article.

P

Paul Lane

Audioholic Intern
Does this unit have a remote?

Does this new OPPO thingy have a remote?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Does this new OPPO thingy have a remote?
It has, but apparently there are already free Apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch and Android devices that can do the job like to do with their BDPs.

S

swspiers

Audioholic
This looks like a pretty exciting amp/DAC that might entice more people into the headphone hobby.

What sucks is my investment in Schiit gear and a totally capable Burson amp. I simply have no reason buy this, except it's new and Oppo.

J

Jerryfish

Audiophyte
This amplifier is gorgeous! It comes with a remote, and you can download an app and to have the matching combo is a dream. PM-1 and HA-1 together is stunning. Awaiting the PM-2.

X

xyrium

Audiophyte
Total giant killer

It will be very difficult to find another product that not only packs in this many features, including XLR outputs, but also maintains this level of advanced technical qualities. With my Beyer 880/600s it's pure bliss, and output to a pair of Focal Solo6 BEs, amazing.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
so what is the deal with their pm1 and pm2 headphones? they don't have a great look, how is the sound and quality?

what are other headphones that might be better at these price points?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Using Foobar2000 there are DS, WASAPI and ASIO to choose, anyone found one better than the other?

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I prefer WASAPI with the bit-depth set to 24-Bit. This actually places the 24-bit data padded into 32-bits.
The 32-bit likely packs the data and for some reason, it seems a bit brighter on my system.

I can hear differences between driver and data settings and that in itself is an interesting.

- Rich

S

swspiers

Audioholic
so what is the deal with their pm1 and pm2 headphones? they don't have a great look, how is the sound and quality?

what are other headphones that might be better at these price points?
Too many to list. I have the Mr. Speakers Alpha Primes shipping to me in about 2 weeks, and I also own the Hifiman HE-400i's. Amazing headphones, almost as easy to drive as the Oppo's, and go for $499. Then there's the HE-560's, for $899. I went with the Hifiman over the Oppo, mostly based on price and past experience with the brand. I simply can't try all the headphones out there (but it is easier than speakers).

I expect big things from the Alpha Primes as an end-game headphone, which is priced at $999. Which I realize is probably nuts to most people... ;)

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Too many to list. I have the Mr. Speakers Alpha Primes shipping to me in about 2 weeks, and I also own the Hifiman HE-400i's. Amazing headphones, almost as easy to drive as the Oppo's, and go for $499. Then there's the HE-560's, for $899. I went with the Hifiman over the Oppo, mostly based on price and past experience with the brand. I simply can't try all the headphones out there (but it is easier than speakers).

I expect big things from the Alpha Primes as an end-game headphone, which is priced at $999. Which I realize is probably nuts to most people... ;)
thoughts on the HiFiman he500?

S

swspiers

Audioholic
I haven't heard it at all, which I kinda regret. Even with the new cans, a lot of people are holding on to them- that much I do know. The other model I owned was the HE-5LE.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I prefer WASAPI with the bit-depth set to 24-Bit. This actually places the 24-bit data padded into 32-bits.
The 32-bit likely packs the data and for some reason, it seems a bit brighter on my system.

I can hear differences between driver and data settings and that in itself is an interesting.

- Rich
If I use the WASAPI driver it display the bit depth of 16 or 24. If I select the dsd driver foo_dsd_asio, then the display will show dsd source media correctly but when playing non dsd (PCM) files it will show the sampling rate correctly but the bit depth will be constant at 32 bit. Everything still sounds good but I just don't feel comfortable when it shows 32 bit when the source is 16 or 24 bit. I don't think foobar is the problem because the foobar display shows the bit depth correctly.

For that reason, I will use the foo_dsd_asio driver for dsd files only and will always change it back to WASAPI for the accurate display.

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

If I use the WASAPI driver it display the bit depth of 16 or 24. If I select the dsd driver foo_dsd_asio, then the display will show dsd source media correctly but when playing non dsd (PCM) files it will show the sampling rate correctly but the bit depth will be constant at 32 bit. Everything still sounds good but I just don't feel comfortable when it shows 32 bit when the source is 16 or 24 bit. I don't think foobar is the problem because the foobar display shows the bit depth correctly.

For that reason, I will use the foo_dsd_asio driver for dsd files only and will always change it back to WASAPI for the accurate display.
I had that problem with WASAPI because The "Preferences | Playback | ReplaGain" was set which causes Foobar to scale into 32-bits.
For that, I set "Source Mode" and "Processing" to None.

I don't use foobar2000 for DSD native but it must be the underlying ASIO driver that I believe the foo_dsd_asio driver links to.
You might try futzing with the native ASIO driver settings.

...Or buy J River and J Remove. The iPad app is superb and the configuration options are mind-numbing: multiple Zones, simultaneous streaming, separate configuration based on file type, bit-depth, etc.

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I had that problem with WASAPI because The "Preferences | Playback | ReplaGain" was set which causes Foobar to scale into 32-bits.
For that, I set "Source Mode" and "Processing" to None.

I don't use foobar2000 for DSD native but it must be the underlying ASIO driver that I believe the foo_dsd_asio driver links to.
You might try futzing with the native ASIO driver settings.

...Or buy J River and J Remove. The iPad app is superb and the configuration options are mind-numbing: multiple Zones, simultaneous streaming, separate configuration based on file type, bit-depth, etc.

- Rich
I am using foobar ASIO native for DSD and there is no problem. I just don't like the Foobar2000/HA-1 combo that does not display the bit depth accurately. It gets stuck with either 24 bit or 32 bit. You mean J River does not have that issue?

RichB

RichB

There are no problems handling the native rate and DSD using the WASAPI driver.
There is a Bitsreaming option in the WASAPI setup DSD and it ships the data in DoP.

There is a trial version. The windows interface is functional but the product J Remote app is outstanding and makes it worth while.
If you do try it, the WASAPI output setting 24-bit in a 32-bit package is the format used by Foobar2000 's 32-bit setting and it is my preference.
The "Automatic for best quality" packs the data in 32-bit so there seem to be more going on.

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
There are no problems handling the native rate and DSD using the WASAPI driver.
There is a Bitsreaming option in the WASAPI setup DSD and it ships the data in DoP.

There is a trial version. The windows interface is functional but the product J Remote app is outstanding and makes it worth while.
If you do try it, the WASAPI output setting 24-bit in a 32-bit package is the format used by Foobar2000 's 32-bit setting and it is my preference.
The "Automatic for best quality" packs the data in 32-bit so there seem to be more going on.

- Rich
You probably know that I don't believe in the 24 bit thing let alone 32 bit. However, I have to admit over time I seem to prefer the sound of the HA-1 over the 105 and the 8801. I would rank my DAC in order HA-1, Fiio X5, 105, DAC magic XS, 8801. I love the HA-1 and will buy the HA-2 if it comes with a network streaming player like the Marantz.

RichB

RichB

I believe in obtaining the best recording of the music I like best.
There are times when that will be an >44.1/16 bit recording. The is plenty of untapped fidelity in the CD format.

There may also be affinities between DACs implementation (filtering, data stream handling, etc).

There is an HA-2 coming but it is a portable player:

http://www.highendheadphones.co.uk/oppo-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I believe in obtaining the best recording of the music I like best.
There are times when that will be an >44.1/16 bit recording. The is plenty of untapped fidelity in the CD format.

There may also be affinities between DACs implementation (filtering, data stream handling, etc).

There is an HA-2 coming but it is a portable player:

http://www.highendheadphones.co.uk/oppo-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier

- Rich
Well then I have to wait for a HA-3 or whatever it is to replace the HA-1. That HA-2 functioning would seem similar to the Fiio X5, do you know the price?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis