Dolby Atmos For Home Theater Explained

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Guys;

We made some updates to our Atmos article based on the Dolby Atmos marketing literature posted at AVS Forum. So please have a second pass at the editorial now.

Dolby Atmos For Home Theater Explained with Video Interview | Audioholics

Notice the proposed Atmos speaker diagram attached. See how the driver is recessed into the baffle. We can't help but wonder how they are dealing with diffraction issues caused by this approach so it will be interesting to pull some measurements once review samples become available. We also have to ponder how the added mechanical vibrations from a separate speaker integrated into a shared cabinet will affect the overall sound quality of the main or rear channels.

What do you think?

Attachments

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I predict that it will adversely affect the speaker measurement slightly, but the overall sound quality will still be good. :D

If I were interested in ATMOS and had to choose between the "in-speaker" approach vs. in-ceiling approach, I would probably choose the in-speaker method for convenience. :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Looks like a pretty sweet drive unit for sure. It's reminiscent of my alarm clock. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Seems to make me think about RadioShack speakers.

The magic DSP processing of Atmos that Dolby has yet to publicly disclose somehow makes this speaker a "preferred" solution over a discrete ceiling mounted option. :rolleyes:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Wow, that looks terrible. What's worse is they can not be measured against ordinary speaker standards. How do you do a ground plane measurement or anechoic measurements with an 'Atmos-enabled' speaker? What is there to judge them against? So you have the worst case scenario where, for a review, you are forced to rely on subjective impressions. If there is some fair way to measure them, place correct me if I am wrong. What a mess.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I predict that it will adversely affect the speaker measurement slightly, but the overall sound quality will still be good. :D

If I were interested in ATMOS and had to choose between the "in-speaker" approach vs. in-ceiling approach, I would probably choose the in-speaker method for convenience. :)
I would go ceiling, I think the in-speaker has to many issues with certain ceilings configurations.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would go ceiling, I think the in-speaker has to many issues with certain ceilings configurations.
Where I to do Atmos, I would go either ceiling steerable or on wall steerable.
I'd like to see a truly object based audio included in a 4K BD that accounts for actual speaker positions to improve surround sound of 5.1/7.1 speakers.

When I go to the cinema, the most noticeable effect is the width of the front channels.
Center-Left and Center-Right would be cool at home and far easier to achieve than ceiling channels.

- Rich

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Where I to do Atmos, I would go either ceiling steerable or on wall steerable.
I'd like to see a truly object based audio included in a 4K BD that accounts for actual speaker positions to improve surround sound of 5.1/7.1 speakers.

When I go to the cinema, the most noticeable effect is the width of the front channels.
Center-Left and Center-Right would be cool at home and far easier to achieve than ceiling channels.

- Rich
Would also be nice if the home version of Atmos truly did speaker mapping as what was being claimed. Right now it appears you MUST use the exact speaker placements Dolby is recommending to take advantage of Atmos. If your running just a standard 5.1 or 7.1 speaker configuration today and do not ADD any speakers or relocate your back channels to the mid ceiling downfiring placement or putting them on top of your front speakers firing up towards cybertron, you don't get any real benefit of upgrading to Atmos as far as I can see. It's a real shame you can't keep your existing front height and/or rear height speakers where they are and have Atmos map accordingly to those speaker positions. Perhaps in Gen2?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I'm not retired yet. :D

But that was a very big IF. I really don't feel like installing speakers up in the ceiling. Way too much work, man. :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I'm not retired yet. :D

But that was a very big IF. I really don't feel like installing speakers up in the ceiling. Way too much work, man. :D
Add some steerable speakers is not really a big deal... After all it's an attic is some homes... In my opinion it would be difficult for Atmos to provide the real benefits it touts with some little module pointed at a ceiling to bounce sound if your ceiling is trayed. A steerable ceiling speaker should not have any problems with seating distance from the TV to the seat like box floor speaker. You would have to bounce the sound to the listening position and with trayed ceiling that could be very difficult. After all you really don't see floor speakers at a movie theater, might as well enjoy the same experience at home, IF you have a dedicated room for HT that is.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
After all you really don't see floor speakers at a movie theater, might as well enjoy the same experience at home, IF you have a dedicated room for HT that is.
Hmm, yeah, I think I'll keep my tower speakers and pass on the ceiling speakers. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hmm, yeah, I think I'll keep my tower speakers and pass on the ceiling speakers. :D
With almost 6ft tall speakers you already have "height' built in by the enormous vertical soundstage and lack of dynamic compression. No need for a 3" whizzer cone firing up towards Cybertron ;) though if you really want it, I'm sure Shane can throw a 6.5" Beryllium Phase-plug driver in a box for you to stick on top of your T2s....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
With almost 6ft tall speakers you already have "height' built in by the enormous vertical soundstage and lack of dynamic compression. No need for a 3" whizzer cone firing up towards Cybertron ;) though if you really want it, I'm sure Shane can throw a 6.5" Beryllium Phase-plug driver in a box for you to stick on top of your T2s....
Yeah. There is exactly 0.000000000% probability of any Cybertron-oriented drivers here. :D

I have to try really hard to keep a straight face every time I talk about this subject. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Yeah. There is exactly 0.000000000% probability of any Cybertron-oriented drivers here. :D

I have to try really hard to keep a straight face every time I talk about this subject. :D
It's hard to stay impartial when you look at how ridiculous this is :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis