Campbells shrinks the size of their family sized soup

jinjuku

jinjuku

Just did some grocery shopping and picked up the 'Family sized can'. Noticed something was off.

The store didn't turn stock correctly so there was a bunch of 28 oz cans still in back. The new can is 23 oz.

Net 18% price increase. Now I have to open up a 23 and 10.5 ounce can after my 28oz stash runs out.

I've already discovered how easy it is to bake bread (lay out a towel and 10 minutes later press a button then shake out the towel). I wonder how easy it is to make basic soups and can them.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you noticed, tuna fish is now down to 5 ounces in what used to be 7 1/2 ounce cans. They look the same, but they've ben "shrinking" internally for the past few years.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Everything is getting downsized in one way or another.
It seems to be a way to mask actual inflation from the average consumer.

There's a whole spectrum of products that have changed.
Gas has a lower octane,
toilet paper is smaller,
car windshields are thinner,
real actors are replaced with reality TV,
a 1hr TV show is 40 minutes of actual programming
And my wife tells me I'm not the same man she married :D

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
The new can is 23 oz...Net 18% price increase.
Merely another example of an evil corporation raping, pillaging, dooming all who buy their products to a fiery end, and designating all who buy their products (just not from Wally World) as hopeless hypocrites.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Everything is getting downsized in one way or another.
It seems to be a way to mask actual inflation from the average consumer.
Yep. I remember seeing at least one news article on it. It has to do with what consumers prefer - to still pay $X for a product, or to still get Y amount of a product. Apparently, it is believed that we in general prefer for the price to stay the same. Some companies go the other way, and you can see on their containers words like "Still [insert amount here]!"

jinjuku

jinjuku

Merely another example of an evil corporation raping, pillaging, dooming all who buy their products to a fiery end, and designating all who buy their products (just not from Wally World) as hopeless hypocrites.
Just raise the price. Now I have to pop open two cans. I mean how small can you go before it's ridiculous? I'm expecting a 5.5 ounce large box of Toasty Oh's any day now.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
It's been a common problem for several years. They are so afraid of raising prices that they have chosen to shrink the size and hope you don't figure it out. And most people don't figure it out. Look at Kelloggs with their Special K cereal, the Special K with berries is 11.2 oz. That's at best 3 bowls of cereal. WTF?!?!?

Every notice ice cream is no longer sold in 1/2 gallon sizes? Shrunk to 1.5 Liters. The conversion is 1.5 Liters = .396 US liquid gallons. 20% drop in product for the same price.

It makes it very tough to use old family recipes that have ingredients listed as "1 can of..." since 1 can has changed in size.

It's a total rip off but people go for it every day because so many have no clue about product size. Course, I'm the idiot standing in the aisle with the calculator on my phone doing the math to find the most economical size. I'm also the same guy that teaches children new vocabulary as I stand in the grocery aisle trying to find any ice cream that doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup or bread that doesn't contain corn syrup or that yoga mat foam agent.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Some companies go the other way, and you can see on their containers words like "Still [insert amount here]!"
My favorite is the 20oz French's mustard. It says:

40% More
than our 14oz

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Every notice ice cream is no longer sold in 1/2 gallon sizes? Shrunk to 1.5 Liters. The conversion is 1.5 Liters = .396 US liquid gallons. 20% drop in product for the same price.
Ice cream gets complicated.:D The cheaper brands whip lots of air int to the mix. So even if the container stayed the same size, it has 40 to 50% air. I look for the heaviest (by feel) container.
I forget what the FDA's rule is. To be called Ice cream, a gallon has to weigh no less than 4.5 lbs... or something like that.

or bread that doesn't contain corn syrup or that yoga mat foam agent.
Hey, you old guys have to get your fiber somehow.:D

jinjuku

jinjuku

It's a total rip off but people go for it every day because so many have no clue about product size. Course, I'm the idiot standing in the aisle with the calculator on my phone doing the math to find the most economical size. I'm also the same guy that teaches children new vocabulary as I stand in the grocery aisle trying to find any ice cream that doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup or bread that doesn't contain corn syrup or that yoga mat foam agent.
I'm there with you. I don't do store bought bread any longer. What I make taste better, I know what goes into it. I have WAY more variety plus the machine makes killer pizza and pasta dough. It will even make Jams and Preserves.

My next purchase is going to be a food dehydrator.

I'm going to be getting back to much more processing of my own food.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
When you get it, try putting in seedless grapes and making your own raisins. Take a long time, but MUCH better than store bought.
Also get some solid trays. Use applesauce, w/ whatever you want to add. Homemade fruit rollups.

jinjuku

jinjuku

When you get it, try putting in seedless grapes and making your own raisins. Take a long time, but MUCH better than store bought.
Also get some solid trays. Use applesauce, w/ whatever you want to add. Homemade fruit rollups.
That was my thought. I have a young daughter and she loves the bread right out of the machine. Fruit roll ups would be awesome.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I'm there with you. I don't do store bought bread any longer. What I make taste better, I know what goes into it. I have WAY more variety plus the machine makes killer pizza and pasta dough. It will even make Jams and Preserves.

I'm going to be getting back to much more processing of my own food.

My wife makes a lot of our stuff herself... The kids help her and I think they will do the same thing when they are on their own...

She makes our laundry detergents and fabric softener

Ice cream http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-100-Compressor-Cream-Gelato/dp/B006UKLUFS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1406646533&sr=8-6&keywords=ice+cream+machine that thing works awesome, has its own cooling compressor ice cream in 20 minutes..

Bread {she makes 6 at a time and then freezes them , because they don't stay fresh as long as store bought for some reason}

Pasta {not ravioli I have to buy them because she is vegan}

All our peanut butter {except the pb2 which I eat, well I kind of make that since I have to mix it, lol}

Jams and jellies, {except for my sarabeths strawberry}

she even makes the kids crackers, lol..., she makes granola bars, fake lara bars, and out own soda {not really side, more like seltza water with fruit flavor and no sugar lol....}

At first years ago, I figured we would save a ton of money not buying this stuff {she didn't make as much back then}, BUT NO, you can not make any of it as cheap as you can buy it {with the exception of the laundry detergents}....

She has a good system though, she makes some things every week, like the bread and pasta, she makes ice cream when we are going to eat it, so dinner is done and she turns the machine on by the time we are done eating its ready. She makes the jams maybe twice a year when the fruits she wants are available locally, she makes laundry detergent once a month or so, and Peanut butter a few times a year..

The kids love it, they just hate when she makes them hats and gloves, lol.... as do I....

She always says that I am letting poison in my body when I eat deli meat and meat in general, lol I always tell her that I am getting my body used to it, she is going to be the one that gets sick when she gets exposed to it, because her body has no idea what it is...

Although a few times a year she eats french fries from Mcdonalds, she orders them with no salt like that helps, I tell her that they just lick the salt off and put them in the container.. It's not often, mostly if we are out late and have been drinking and pass a mcdonalds at just the right moment, she doesn't even have to ask, I will just pull in and she will smile, something I haven't seen in a little while now and miss...

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I make my own pizza dough as well. I found a recipe for pie crust too that I really like. So I am slowly moving along to more and more of making my own foods the way I want them to be. Am considering bread.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Just raise the price. Now I have to pop open two cans. I mean how small can you go before it's ridiculous? I'm expecting a 5.5 ounce large box of Toasty Oh's any day now.
Exactly. How far will they shrink the product? Down to 1 ounce?

How is a 24 oz "Family Size" and the same product in 16 oz be also called family size?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
We have an obesity crisis it's a good thing food portions are shrinking some IMO.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I make my own pizza dough as well. I found a recipe for pie crust too that I really like. So I am slowly moving along to more and more of making my own foods the way I want them to be. Am considering bread.
Take your pizza dough, roll it into a ball and flour it, then put a bowl of water in the microwave and let it boil in there and make steam shut the microwave off and sit your dough ball in there for 20 minutes or so until it starts to rise, then take it out flatten it into a oval shape, roll the far corner towards you {short ways}, tucking it into itself each roll, and on the last one flip the seam to the bottom, make 4 or 5 angled slices across the top in a row long ways, put the bread on a pan with some cornmeal on the bottom... Let it sit for a little while and rise some more.
Oven 325 for softer bread, 350-375 for harder rolls, and for crusty bread brush with olive oil...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis