Pioneer Atmos Speakers (SP-EFS73/SP-EBS73L/SP-EC73 and SW-E10) Preview

Ready to Buy these new Pioneer Speakers?

• Yes! Bring on Atmos.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Yes. But only if Non Atmos Models are Offered

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • No. Looks gimmicky

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Pioneer Elite's new line of loudspeakers has a lot going for it: all models are true three way designs featuring a concentric driver, and their designer is none other than Pioneer's speaker genius Andrew Jones. On the other hand, we're a bit pessimistic about one feature. The new line is "Dolby Atmos enabled", meaning the towers and bookshelf speakers feature an up-firing concentric driver aimed at your ceiling for height effects. Unfortunately, no models were released without this feature (excluding the horizontal center channel and subwoofer), meaning buyers will be stuck with the technology whether they use it or not.

Read the Pioneer Atmos Speakers (SP-EFS73/SP-EBS73L/SP-EC73 and SW-E10) Preview

Are you ready to buy these speakers or would you prefer them without the Atmos feature?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think this is the key info:
We would much rather see “conventional” Pioneer Elite speakers with the addition of a few in-ceiling speakers for those that actually want to dive into Atmos.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They should make an "off" button for when you are NOT using Atmos. :D

I want to see how they measure with all the drivers firing.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
That can certainly be done fyi. Should be an interesting measurement vs subjective impression...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'd vote if there was a "No, not in the market" or some similar selection. I'm not fundamentally against the design, but at $750 for the bookshelves...I'd like to have a better aesthetic.

I am happy to see an Elite line of speakers, though.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I agree, I would prefer a better aesthetic for the price

I would also like to see an option for conventional Elite speakers.

I am not against Atmos - however, seems like a lot is going on in the Audio world,
and the economy is still a challenge. I am mainly watching the Onkyo/Pioneer thing,
I wonder how long the Mcacc and Audyssey separation thing will last. Plus, how long
before the receiver platforms combine.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Seems odd to not at least offer a non-Atmos option. For surrounds, could be an interesting and useful thing (I see a new trend coming...) but I don't see quick adoption of it or Atmos at home either.

GR used to offer a surround called the O3 that had a forward facing tweeter and an up-firing midbass. Never heard it, but they don't list it on the site anymore.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
They should make an "off" button for when you are NOT using Atmos. :D

I want to see how they measure with all the drivers firing.
There is. Turn off Atmos on the receiver :)

I'm waiting for Atmos 2 where they put drivers on the back of the cabinet. Hey there are still 3 more surfaces to exploit, why NOT?!

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I wonder whether the top driver is in a sealed compartment, or if it could act as an unintended passive radiator when not active with a surround signal? Would that have a negative effect on q or tuning when listening to a stereo source?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wonder whether the top driver is in a sealed compartment, or if it could act as an unintended passive radiator when not active with a surround signal? Would that have a negative effect on q or tuning when listening to a stereo source?
That is a good point. All in all, I am disappointed by the watered down specs of these consumer Atmos systems. The Pioneer rep at AVSforum says it sound better than regular ceiling speaker Atmos. I have a hard time believing that. It will be interesting to see how the consumer Atmos calibration equipment works. The Pioneer sub here is pathetic, as usual. I knew some kind of consumer Atmos was being hurried down the pipe, but this is not the Atmos implementation I was hoping for. It still may be very good though.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Do not know all the information - however some info from Andrew here,
starting with the 2nd blue paragraph
The OFFICIAL Pioneer Dolby Atmos Speaker Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Thanks for the reference. Definitely a lot of marketing talk going on over there. I can't ever envision how firing a driver upward towards the ceiling from a shared speaker cabinet for another channel can be "better" than using a discrete in-ceiling speaker firing downward just like what is done in Atmos theaters. My prediction is it won't really matter much in about a year as I foresee Atmos being even less popular than 3D :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the reference. Definitely a lot of marketing talk going on over there. I can't ever envision how firing a driver upward towards the ceiling from a shared speaker cabinet for another channel can be "better" than using a discrete in-ceiling speaker firing downward just like what is done in Atmos theaters. My prediction is it won't really matter much in about a year as I foresee Atmos being even less popular than 3D :)
I agree - I do not expect the next great wave.
And, they do seem to have been rushed to the market.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Do not know all the information - however some info from Andrew here,
starting with the 2nd blue paragraph
The OFFICIAL Pioneer Dolby Atmos Speaker Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Thanks for the link Z

I was completely unenthusiastic over whole Atmos thing, but with AJ wholeheartedly support it I believe we might have something here. I would not compare Atmos with 3D, but with more of 7.1. Not everyone has it (I don't :) ), but it starts , albeit slowly, to make more sense.

With that said, I would love same speakers without the top firing driver, but with same concentric design to be sold at much more reasonable prices.... First two generations were huge success, why stop there? Denis Murphy could only for few extra dollars make almost reference level bookshelf out of BS22, why such speaker would not be offered as Gen 3 and sold for 10-20% higher price???

And Steve is right on money with speaker finish - I don't mind it on $100 speaker, but on on 7x times that it better be MASSIVE visual improvement. Sub is a definite improvement over previous 8" one, but still it cost more $100 than comparable SB1000, but we still don't know if it could even play in same league. A guaranteed far-cry from what I would call "Elite" subwoofer

Last edited:
G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
I'm very disappointed with their decision. I think they should of upgraded the phase 2 speakers instead. I was looking forward to that. Oh well, I guess I'll continue to buy Arx speakers for my other projects.

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
I'm very disappointed with their decision. I think they should of upgraded the phase 2 speakers instead. I was looking forward to that. Oh well, I guess I'll continue to buy Arx speakers for my other projects.
I heard from someone well informed that a lot of people were buying the 21 and 22 series for "someone else". That is, for their kids, siblings, friends etc. It is expected that these will be bought to keep (not just because of the price, I assume :)). With Andrew Jones saying that the Atmos driver was his decision and not a marketing one, I'm definitely very interested in hearing how these sound.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the link Z

First two generations were huge success, why stop there? Denis Murphy could only for few extra dollars make almost reference level bookshelf out of BS22, why such speaker would not be offered as Gen 3 and sold for 10-20% higher price???
Your welcome

A lot of Pioneer owners would desire more than just the budget-friendly gen (1) and (2) speakers.
I wish they would really consider this - no telling when that might happen. Something around the
$400 a pair mark would be interesting.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
I know a lot of people were expecting an upgrade/better speaker than the 22/52 but this is mainly looking at the general public HT market. The whole point of this (AVR + speakers) were clearly said by AJ - this is for, more or less, listening to the plane/superhero/explosions flying over your head.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis