RBH Sound SX-10/R and S-10 Subwoofers Review

What's the most important metric in a subwoofer? (choose up to 3)

• Maximum Output and Extension

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Musicality

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Aesthetics

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Physical Footprint

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Value

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters
A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
RBH Sound continues it's 38 year legacy of excellent sounding speakers with the 10" 350 watt (RMS) SX-10/R subwoofer at $1,300 and the 10" 150 watt (RMS) S-10 subwoofer at $500. Both subs feature their proprietary aluminum cone bass driver with the SX-10/R upgraded to the Status driver found in their $50k/pair flagship speakers. In a culture of mega-watt subsonic subwoofers that overcome modern construction practices, RBH takes a refreshing approach to subwoofer design with these two relatively small subs that add to the music listening experience.

When shopping for a sub do you look primarily for maximum output and extension or are you willing to give up a little lower end extension for better musicality and a smaller footprint? Let us know your priorities.

Read our RBH SX-10/R and S-10 Subwoofer Reviews with Measurements

and be sure to watch our Youtube Video Review Too

[video=youtube_share;yOVwHV4lxt8]http://youtu.be/yOVwHV4lxt8[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Is it just me or anyone else is irked to see "Musicality" in poll options? Don't know whatever heck it is.
Now, "Flat Response" - I do understand

And as for RBH subs - thanks for great review, but imo both of these subs need to quickly migrate to EMP, price reduced, to compete with SB1000/SB2000 likes

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Is it just me or anyone else is irked to see "Musicality" in poll options? Don't know whatever heck it is.

And as for RBH subs - thanks for great review, but imo both of these subs need to quickly migrate to EMP, price reduced, to compete with SB1000/SB2000 likes
A sub with reasonably flat frequency response and extension out past 100Hz with very low group delay often makes for sub that plays back music very well without sounding muddy or "slow" or worse a one-note wonder.

Performance aside, the aesthetics and finish quality (esp of the SX-10/R) is what makes the RBH subs more appealing than the standard black box you get with SVS. My parents just bought the SX-10/R review sample for their living room system for that very reason over getting an SB-2000.

The RBH S-10 is already offered in the EMP brand as the E-10S with 5 very competent satellite speakers for $649. That is a GREAT Deal!

http://emptek.com/cinema5.php

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
A sub with reasonably flat frequency response and extension out past 100Hz with very low group delay often makes for sub that plays back music very well without sounding muddy or "slow" or worse a one-note wonder.

Performance aside, the aesthetics and finish quality (esp of the SX-10/R) is what makes the RBH subs more appealing than the standard black box you get with SVS. My parents just bought the SX-10/R review sample for their living room system for that very reason over getting an SB-2000.

The RBH S-10 is already offered in the EMP brand as the E-10S with 5 very competent satellite speakers for $649. That is a GREAT Deal!

Cinema 5 Compact Home Theater System
Lack of coffee might had something to do with my earlier post... Thanks for the explanation Gene.

I could see aesthetics could be important for some, but arguable for the price of SX-10/R one could better looking subs - like several subs with gloss/mirror finish from Rythmic or from Salk's
I know why would someone want this, but who knows... Your parents for example :)

As for EMP's $650 combo - this is quite solid system and good value for dorms or just smaller rooms indeed

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
When shopping for a sub do you look primarily for maximum output and extension or are you willing to give up a little lower end extension for better musicality and a smaller footprint? Let us know your priorities.
Size/footprint definitely went up a few notches on the priority list for my last subwoofer upgrade, though in my case I wasn't really willing to give up much on output or extension either :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love my five RBH SX-1010N subs (MSRP $1,200). :D

I'm sure the SX-1010N/R (MSRP $2,000) with the Status Acoustics Reference aluminum woofer is even better. But since I couldn't hear the improvement personally, I didn't want to spend the extra money ($800 MSRP x 5 = $4,000 MSRP) on the Reference aluminum woofer upgrade. :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
^ That's sexy

I'm stuck with this, but for the price...they're insanely good looking and sound 10x better than the Klipsch RW-12d that got praised by everyone for the budget 'go-to' woofer under $400ish.
EMP e1010i is definitely very capable sub for very little money, too bad EMP discontinued them :(

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Lack of coffee might had something to do with my earlier post... Thanks for the explanation Gene.

I could see aesthetics could be important for some, but arguable for the price of SX-10/R one could better looking subs - like several subs with gloss/mirror finish from Rythmic or from Salk's
Plus one on that point. If one's priorities are musicality, extension, and SPL, there are better subs out there offering better performance and still look really good.

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic

Cinema 5 Compact Home Theater System
Thanks for the explanation. I really cannot define or explain musicality, but I know it when I hear it. I have 2 subs that go down to well below 20Hz and if you live in a condo like me and never listen to anything louder than 90db or so, then maximum output is really a non issue.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think there are multiple synchronous factors. It's like our senses and perception. We cannot just ignore one as if it does not exist because it is always there.

That is why we would all have different systems even if we all had $1,000,000 to spend. :D

It's not just about output or any one factor. It's the whole package based on our unique individualism. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

I know why would someone want this, but who knows... Your parents for example :)

As for EMP's $650 combo - this is quite solid system and good value for dorms or just smaller rooms indeed
Salk's earliers subs weren't something I'd recommend but now that he paired up with Rythmik that likely has changed.

I can tell you this. I replaced the dual Axiom EP400's at my parents house with the single RBH SX-10/R and their system sounds MUCH better now. Much deeper and cleaner bass, no rattles, and no spontaneous amps turning on in the middle of the night making my parents mistake it for sinkhole activity in their home :)

I really wanted to get dual subs for them again but it wasn't in their budget. But, I'm very happy how this single SX-10/R is playing in their wide open living room and integrating with the rest of their RBH in-wall products. They definitely have the best senior citizen HT System I've seen and heard :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I really wanted to get dual subs for them again but it wasn't in their budget. But, I'm very happy how this single SX-10/R is playing in their wide open living room and integrating with the rest of their RBH in-wall products. They definitely have the best senior citizen HT System I've seen and heard :)

Right on :) That's both funny and generous of you .

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
EMP e1010i is definitely very capable sub for very little money, too bad EMP discontinued them :(
Agreed. It definitely is for the money. I can't imagine the performance you'd get in an enclosed, smaller room. Not to mention is incredible looking :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed. It definitely is for the money. I can't imagine the performance you'd get in an enclosed, smaller room. Not to mention is incredible looking :D
I don't have to imagine, only to remember. At AH GTG 2012 in EMP small room a single "little" i1010e corner loaded - was extremely impressive during few short movie clip demos

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I don't have to imagine, only to remember. At AH GTG 2012 in EMP small room a single "little" i1010e corner loaded - was extremely impressive during few short movie clip demos
Sadly forum folks dismissed this sub b/c it didn't have a lot of measured output below 30Hz so it was never a big seller. Sometimes we all get a little too caught up in the measurements without actually trying a product real world to see how it really performs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sometimes we all get a little too caught up in the measurements without actually trying a product real world to see how it really performs.
Yeah, what's the saying? Measurements aren't everything? If it sounds good, then it's good? :D

Real world experience. :)

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
I get some decent output down to 25hz and then it falls off. I'm using 2, but it's closer to a 1,000sqft area (yes, sqft). They sound incredibly musical too, which is something that just does not happen at this price point. I know there are more factors than just the sub that play into that, but I've had the PA-120, Klipsch rw-12d and e1010i all in the same spot...and it's not even a fair fight.

I'd love to have a ton of lower end extension, but that comes at a much higher cost (unless you DIY)

C

CoryW

Audioholic

I understand this type of comment. I’ve owned subs that could produce huge quantities of low end thump that made movies with a lot of special effects shine. When listening to low end content that needed a bit of grace, such as the sound of fingers plucking an upright bass in jazz, or other tracks that needed finesse, classical music etc, they left me wanting. I’ve had a sub with 8” driver with passive panels that was amazing for music, but puked awfully trying to create a “big badda boom”.

I own 5 RBH subs right now, two 1010-SEN (later upgraded to 10” reference) two TS-10AN, and a TS-12AN.

Each one of these subs handle everything with ease. The standard 10” and 12” driver really produces a satisfying wave that rolls right through the chest. Running the TS-10 as a pair in my stereo listening is perfect perfect perfect. The listed low of 30hz should not put anyone off. They produce an satisfying low end. They should bottomless. The 12” inch sub was a lucky thing. It was a very old black paper woofer, but an awesome cabinet. I put a standard 12” aluminum woofer in the case, let it break in and holy cow.

Now, the 1010-SEN/r subs are something completely sic. They reach down to 18hz or so, and will rip your face off if you sit too close. I put an amp in bridged mode at 1500 watt, then made a mistake on the initial volume setting when firing off a sub test track. The driver didn’t bottom out, the amp didn’t clip, and the felt waves made me jump out of my chair. There is nothing in the recorded audio world that these subs can’t reproduce to absolute perfection, and at any volume level.

I dream of a pair of reference 12” twin monsters one day. They make some of the best subs in the business.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Reviving a 6-year-old thread? hehe. Ok. My opinion hasn't changed. I want to see the measurements first.
What changed with time is my knowledge of how to read these measurement graphs. What to dismiss and what to pay close attention to. RBH/EMP still makes great products that measure really well in important things, such as low distortion, linearity, and self-control.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis