Ask The Audioholics: When Is It Time To Upgrade Your Display?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Are you thinking about upgrading your display? Want help in making a convincing case to your spouse? We take a look at the factors involved, including screen size vs. distance, resolution, connectivity, and feature sets to help you arrive at an informed decision (and convince your significant other who thinks your current display is just fine). Of course, we recommend you hide your wallet while you read this guide; we can't be held responsible for your impulse buying.

Read to find out if it's time to upgrade your display here. Do you feel the upgrade itch for a new TV? Share your thoughts!

J

Joost80

Audiophyte
I just joined this wonderfull site to comment on this very nice and down to earth article. Great stuff to cure upgraditus. In particular the 4k hype wagon. I will be keeping my Kuro for another couple of years.

B

billiebbb

Audiophyte
Hmm...

I'm sure there is probably some interesting/useful info in here.

But if you REALLY need to analyze whether you "need" a new TV or not……I don't know. I mean, if you "don't know" or feel a NEED for a new TV, you probably don't.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
WOOHO!!! Daddy gets a new big screen scoring 5 right from the very first criteria. However, my wife being exceedingly smart and practical, will suggest that I move the sofa closer to the display. At least I don't have to hide this article from her unlike Amplifier power one. :)

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Great chart and advice. I sit 12' away from my 106' screen and watch my Sony 1080p PJ and when I watch it I still find myself saying "WOW". When that doesn't happen anymore it will be time to upgrade....:)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
wooho!!! Daddy gets a new big screen scoring 5 right from the very first criteria. However, my wife being exceedingly smart and practical, will suggest that i move the sofa closer to the display. At least i don't have to hide this article from her unlike amplifier power one. :)
lol.........
well done congratulations, power amps are easier to 'sneak into' the system, compared to a big display :p

Last edited:
N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
I mulled over the idea of adding a front projector for more dedicated movie viewing and using my Samsung plasma for more general programming and daytime usage. Is there anyone here that uses both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I mulled over the idea of adding a front projector for more dedicated movie viewing and using my Samsung plasma for more general programming and daytime usage. Is there anyone here that uses both?

I have my Panny plasma mounted on the wall and when I want to have a movie night, or if I'm left to my own devices I drop the screen and turn on the PJ.

Anything specific you wanted to know about it?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
One thing not mentioned in the article is how 3D content might benefit from a 4K display. 3D often halves the available vertical resolution, so 1080p suddenly becomes 540p. With this in mind, assuming 3D in the home isn't quite dead yet, 4K makes a little more sense. But yeah, for 2D content, 4K is overkill.

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord

I have a 42" flat panel in my theater and it has an 84" tab tension screen that drops down in front of it. The one thing I have found is that over the last year or so I hardly ever use the TV and use the projector for 95% of my viewing. I have a good control system so it works seamlessly to go back and forth. It raises/drops the screen, lights go down and switches the HDMI output. I would say if it is not a dedicated room it will be much more worth while. I see all my image links in my sig are broken because I let one of my domains lapse.

I may have to take some new pics anyway. New seating and carpet where done well before the last few electronic upgrades but never seem to have made it up.

Markwinstanley

Markwinstanley

Audiophyte
One thing not mentioned in the article is how 3D content might benefit from a 4K display. 3D often halves the available vertical resolution, so 1080p suddenly becomes 540p. With this in mind, assuming 3D in the home isn't quite dead yet, 4K makes a little more sense. But yeah, for 2D content, 4K is overkill.
I dont thinks that 4k is overkill coz 1080p will look crappy on 4k like pixelated . what do you think hu..

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
All the 4K displays (from different brands) I've seen in different B&M stores have had horrible motion performance (judder) even when displaying 4K signal. Could have been due to settings, but for not a single one to be free of this issue is hard to believe.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
All the 4K displays (from different brands) I've seen in different B&M stores have had horrible motion performance (judder) even when displaying 4K signal. Could have been due to settings, but for not a single one to be free of this issue is hard to believe.
is there a processing problem, that it's just not enough process power to deal with all the pixel processing .... With 3840 × 2160 resolution; we do have 8.3 million pixels, and with a refresh rate of 100Hz, we're talking 830 million pixel updates per second..... not an easy task.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis