new speaker system - need advice

Audioholic
Hello All... First, I'd like to thank everyone for their advice on my previous post regarding my pending new system. After receiving some great advice on this forum, I have decided to purchase an ATI 1805 amp. I am also much closer to figuring out which AVR I will purchase. I am strongly leaning towards the Anthem MRX510, but I am also considering an Denon X4000 or 4311C1 - or possibly a Marantz... but I have not made up my mind regarding the AVR yet.

Regarding a new 5.1 or 5.2 speaker system, I was initially considering the Focal 826W line, which impressed me a great deal. However, I received some advice from a forum member regarding potential speakers. He suggested Revel and KEF. After much research, I am leaning towards the Revel speaker line. I like the fact that they are American made and the reviews are impressive... I am considering the Revel F208 or F206 (mains), M106 or M105 (surrounds), C208 or C205 (center channel), Subwoofer – not sure what to pair w/ the Revels, the B110 is rather expensive... or the KEF R700 (mains), R300 (surrounds), R200c (center channel) and the R400b (subwoofer). Although I have auditioned the Focals, I have no way to hear the Revels or KEFs in my current location.

Unfortunately, I am unable to give you the specifications of my listening area since I am in transition right now. I expect my future listening area to be a standard living room - if that helps at all...

For those that own or have heard the Revels, KEFs and the Focals, what are your impressions and observations? My listening will be split ~ 50/50 between music and movies/TV. I mainly listen to classic rock and blues and occasionally I listen to old school jazz and country (i.e. Miles Davis/Johnny Cash). Regarding a reasonably priced subwoofer, what would you recommend that would match well with these speaker choices? I'd rather not spend a huge amount on the subwoofer as I believe the mains are where the bulk of my funds should be allocated. What are your recommendations and what do you think would be the best choice? I know speaker preference is very subjective, but I am interested to know your thoughts... Thanks!

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I auditioned the Revel F208's when I started my search for new towers. They were simply amazing. Great imaging, clean deep bass, crisp highs that weren't overwhelming. Very flat frequency response, well balanced sound. They retail for 5k, but I think you should be able to get them for 4. They were just a little farther out of my budget than I was willing to stretch since I had a whole system to buy.

Audioholic
Budget is around what the Revels would cost. Room size is unknown since I am in transition. I expect the room to be a standard living room ~25' x 20'...

Last edited:

Audioholic
Yes, RBH is in the running, but the Revels are much better looking, which is a consideration. I've also read quite a bit about SVS sub woofers. I was thinking of the PB 2000 or a pair of PB 1000s...

Last edited:
JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
If 5K is your budget for all your speakers, Check out Ascend. The Sierra towers are right there with the Revel 208's in mids and highs, maybe even a bit better in mids. 208's have a broader bass range, but you're comparing an 8 inch woofer to a 5.25. Since your looking at subs anyway, the Ascends have solid clean bass down to 40hz. Maybe lower depending on your room gains. Also Outlaw audio has the LFM-1 on sale right now. SVS is a very often recommended sub, probably for good reason. Looking at them myself.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Kef R line are tops in looks around this range IMO.
I'd have to agree with ematthews about KEF's R series speakers. If I didn't already own a pair of Focal 1027Be & the matching center in my LR, I wouldn't think twice about buying a pair of KEF R900's with a R200C center channel speaker. I heard them at a local shop and was quite impressed. I also have a pair of KEF LS50's & the R200C in my office (14'x14') with a sub that together are outstanding. The Focal's have a better high end and the KEF'S are more neutral, FWIW.

Good luck.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Everyone will think differently on aesthetics for sure. :D

RBH SX vs. Revel Performa vs. KEF R would be my 3 top personal choices.

I am really hoping someone would get the RBH SX-8300. Then if they are not 100% satisfied, I could trade them my shinny piano gloss red mahogany Philharmonic 3 speakers. :D

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Everyone will think differently on aesthetics for sure. :D

RBH SX vs. Revel Performa vs. KEF R would be my 3 top personal choices.

I am really hoping someone would get the RBH SX-8300. Then if they are not 100% satisfied, I could trade them my shinny piano gloss red mahogany Philharmonic 3 speakers. :D
Maybe you might like the 6300 series better one day? :D

The Kef R700 that I listened to this weekend was fantastic... Makes me wonder about the RBH on order... To many good items out there..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have decided to purchase an ATI 1805 amp.
You have chosen.........wisely. :D

I am strongly leaning towards the Anthem MRX510, but I am also considering an Denon X4000 or 4311
That is a dilemma. It would be great if you could try out both (locally) to see what you like better.

Regarding a reasonably priced subwoofer, what would you recommend that would match well with these speaker choices?
One good thing about the RBH SX-8300 is that you would essentially have 2 built-in passive subwoofers that goes down to 25Hz (F3). My RBH SX-1010N passive subwoofers go down to about 24Hz.

I haven't confirmed this with RBH, but I think you could connect the LFE of the AVR to the subwoofer amp (like the Dayton SA230 amp, which our friend could get for even cheaper than Parts Express :D) and then to the SX-8300's bass portion.

Obviously, the bass output won't match the Rythmik, SVS, HSU, etc. But it's not always about output for everyone.

For example, even a $200 BIC F12 could shake the walls in my 18' x 20' family room and knock down magazines from the coffee table. :D So it's not always about output.

But even if you were to add two more subwoofers (whether RBH SX-1010N or SVS, etc.), having the SX-8300 towers + dual subs would be like having FOUR total subwoofers. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe you might like the 6300 series better one day? :D
I would take the SX-6300/R for sure if I couldn't have the SX-8300. :D

The Kef R700 that I listened to this weekend was fantastic... Makes me wonder about the RBH on order... To many good items out there..
I think if you had a blind test with RBH vs Revel vs KEF with music that have bass only from 40Hz and up, you probably wouldn't know what you prefer more. The SX-6300 vs F206 vs R700 are about even IMO on the midrange and treble. But the SX-6300 will have a lot more bass than the F206 and R700 for sources that have below 40Hz. In 2.1 mode, definitely not much difference.

But the SX-8300 goes down to 25Hz, which is huge.

Personally I would take the RBH over the equivalent Revel and KEF if I were buying today.

With the (unconfirmed) active bi-amp of the passive subs of the SX-8300 & SX-6300, the difference will be even more pronounced IMO.

So whether the SX-6300 or SX-8300, I would do "double bass" active bi-amp which would help smooth out the bass response.

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I would take the SX-6300/R for sure if I couldn't have the SX-8300. :D

I think if you had a blind test with RBH vs Revel vs KEF with music that have bass only from 40Hz and up, you probably wouldn't know what you prefer more. The SX-6300 vs F206 vs R700 are about even IMO on the midrange and treble. But the SX-6300 will have a lot more bass than the F206 and R700 for sources that have below 40Hz. In 2.1 mode, definitely not much difference.

But the SX-8300 goes down to 25Hz, which is huge.

Personally I would take the RBH over the equivalent Revel and KEF if I were buying today.

With the (unconfirmed) active bi-amp of the passive subs of the SX-8300 & SX-6300, the difference will be even more pronounced IMO.

So whether the SX-6300 or SX-8300, I would do "double bass" active bi-amp which would help smooth out the bass response.
Good feedback. I look forward to getting these RBH 6300 in. And from what I have been told by all my sources... Get the RBH!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Good feedback. I look forward to getting these RBH 6300 in. And from what I have been told by all my sources... Get the RBH!!
Well, to be fair, nothing is unequivocal for everyone. Everyone thinks differently. You and I may agree on the RBH, but I think there are a lot of great speakers out there for sure.

I have confirmed with Shane Rich at RBH Sound. He said the bass portions of both the SX-8300 and SX-6300 can be actively powered and bass-level controlled like any other active dedicated subwoofer if you like. So send the LFE from the AVR to an amp (I use ATI amps for my subs too :D, but any appropriate amp will do). Then connect the amp to the bass portion of the binding posts. The top binding posts would get the regular speakers output.

Shane said that when he demoed the SX-8300 (actively amp the passive subwoofers) WITHOUT any other subwoofers even in a large room, people could not believe that there were no other subwoofers. Shane also said that the SX-8300's built-in passive sub is almost equivalent to the SX-1010N
sub.

If I had known about this information on the SX-8300, I would have saved a lot of money and never gotten the Salon2, 802D, Phil3, Orion, or any other speakers. I would just get five big SX-8300 and be done. :D

Of course, if I were a multimillionaire, I would get five of the $50K RBH Status Acoustics 8Ts.

But for those who can only afford 10 times LESS than the 8Ts, the SX-8300 would be at the top of my short list of recommendations.

Now yes, we all know about the subwoofer placement and crawl test. But it's not like I am willing to place my subwoofers in the middle of the room or some other places. :D

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Sweet. Sorry to the OP for hi jacking this thread. Hopefully he will give the RBH a go like we have.
I really wonder how my Ascend Sierra's 2's would do as my surround with the RBH fronts since I am headed towards a 5.1 audio. If no good I need to sell the Sierra's.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sweet. Sorry to the OP for hi jacking this thread. Hopefully he will give the RBH a go like we have.
I really wonder how my Ascend Sierra's 2's would do as my surround with the RBH fronts since I am headed towards a 5.1 audio. If no good I need to sell the Sierra's.
I think the Ascend would be "overkill" for surround duty. Yes, I think my current surround speakers are overkill too. :D

The NHT SuperZero, which goes on sale for $60-85 each, would be great for surround. So yes, the Ascend would be great for surround.

The only drawback I see is the purely mismatching aesthetic, not sound quality. If you are completely okay with this, then the Ascend would be great as surround speakers since they are great as main speakers.

For matching aesthetic, of course, the RBH SX-61 would be perfect.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Overkill or not, I intend to run the Sierra 2 as my rear channel. ematthews if you decide to sell em' put me on the quick sell list. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Overkill or not, I intend to run the Sierra 2 as my rear channel. ematthews if you decide to sell em' put me on the quick sell list. ;)
There you go. If you can find a quick easy sell, sell them and get matching RBH bookshelf.

Audioholic
Thanks for all the great info! Andrew, I am still waiting to hear from our friend on my inquiry. At the end of the week, I will be out of town working on my thesis until around the end of May, so I will attempt to contact him again when I return. As far as the ATI AT 1805 is concerned, since I will be getting an AVR (Anthem MRX 510 or Denon X4000) I was thinking I'd get either an ATI AT 1082/3 and use the AVR to power the surrounds - any thoughts on this idea over the ATI AT 1805?

Regarding the new speaker system (Revel, RBH or KEF) like you advised, I guess it will all come down to the final price, but I sure do like the way those Revels look - KEF is not bad either. RBH is simply ok in the aesthetics dept., but I'm sure the sound quality of all of them is exceptional. What can you tell me about Ascend?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis