Denon DA-300USB DAC Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
With top-notch circuitry, proprietary Advanced AL32 Processing and High-Precision 32 bit, 192 kHz digital to analogue conversion, analog line outputs, and four digital inputs (including USB-B for your computer), the Denon DA-300USB DAC ticks all the right boxes. At $549, you can find cheaper options but none that have the prestige and know-how of Denon. If you are looking for an external DAC and headphone amp for your headphones, or a way to connect your computer to high quality studio monitors, the Denon is a good option.

Discuss "Denon DA-300USB DAC Preview" here. Read the article.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Link doesn't work, yet.

I'd be interested in having someone compare this against the Blue Yeti for a computer setup. Sounds like an odd request, I know, as the Yeti is primarily a microphone. However, my brother had great things to say about how the Yeti worked with his headphones (he's got some nice Sennheisers that he's used for years). He seemed very impressed with it as a DAC.

I

idi74

Audiophyte
another USB interesting DAC

There are lots of USB SAC's out there. I have a John Kenny Ciunas DAC. It only has USB in and rca out it has batteries in it for a clean power supply which are always charging. It is a extremely small, and made by John in ireland, who was modifying hiface USB>spdif converters first.

It sounds fantastic, but is a bit more than the denon about $780 with shipping. And John will let you try it for 20 days and if you don't like it you can return it. You can't go wrong.

I am in no way affiliated to john just a satisfied customer

I

ira

Audiophyte
Thanks for the preview! Can the upsampling and bit depth padding be defeated, and if so, what sampling rates and bit depths can be processed natively? Many users (like me) will have no interest in running the risk of resampling artifacts or uselessly padding the bit depth. The output impedance and max voltage of the headphone amp would also be good to know to determine the headphone impedance range that works best with this.

K

Kot

Audiophyte
With top-notch circuitry, proprietary Advanced AL32 Processing and High-Precision 32 bit, 192 kHz digital to analogue conversion, analog line outputs, and four digital inputs (including USB-B for your computer), the Denon DA-300USB DAC ticks all the right boxes. At $549, you can find cheaper options but none that have the prestige and know-how of Denon. If you are looking for an external DAC and headphone amp for your headphones, or a way to connect your computer to high quality studio monitors, the Denon is a good option.

Discuss "Denon DA-300USB DAC Preview" here. Read the article.

Dear Admin,

Do you have the actual unit in possession for in-depth review and if so any guesstimate when will you post it here? Any initial reaction to the unit's sound? Thanks so much!

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
The press release just came out, I think previews take the press releases and give them some context...

K

Kot

Audiophyte
Just received the unit

Decided to try this DAC out at this price. Heck, I ve spend more money on a single power cable! Been playing it for couple of hours. Unit is well built, save for a wall wart power supply. I probably will get an external, a much beefier custom power supply, as I think it will elevate unit's performance another notch or two. Running via Airport Express thru high quality optical input straight into power amps, both tube and solid state. As it stands, I find the unit is supremely musical and detailed in my system, even compared to an older Goldmund Meta Convert 1 and King Rex U384, but will need a break in to smooth things out even further... So far so good. I ll give it a month for break in, and will update my initial observations. Price notwithstanding its a very competitive DAC from a major corporation. Its a keeper for sure, even for a seasoned audiophile/music lover.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis