Audio Interconnect and Speaker Cable Myths and Truths Revealed

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The audio industry has its share of marketing nonsense, especially when dealing with the topic of speaker cables and audio interconnects. It's important to keep in mind that AV cables are very profitable accessory items and there is often very little to no sonic differences between cables. Thus the birth of pseudoscience is often a necessary evil to make manufacturers products appear "unique" or "better".

In this interview article and accompanying video, Hugo and Gene discuss some of the common myths surrounding audio interconnects and speaker cables and to also give general advice when shopping for cables.

Read our Audio Interconnect & Speaker Cable Myths & Truths Revealed Interview

Watch our Cable Interview

What cables do you use?

Last edited by a moderator:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Given the who's who caption, Gene we were never going to confuse you with the guy on the right:D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You have to do more workout in the gym... Gene
thx but my years of squatting 500lbs and weighiing 230lb are over. Getting 4 recent epidoral shots in my back just so I can get out of bed in the morning has humbled me. I am now a lean 190 lbs with abs as hard as a table top to keep me from going under the knife.

Next video I will sit up straight and wear a tighter shirt ;)

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Jokes apart, thx a lot for this article Gene, didn't have time to go through all, but will do tomorrow..... this is good stuff :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Jokes apart, thx a lot for this article Gene, didn't have time to go through all, but will do tomorrow..... this is good stuff :D
THX man. Hugo and I are planning many videos / articles like this. Very informal, non scripted conversation videos that I then frame into an article on the site. Hopefully the manufacturers won't get too pissed off at us ;)

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
thx but my years of squatting 500lbs and weighiing 230lb are over. Getting 4 recent epidoral shots in my back just so I can get out of bed in the morning has humbled me. I am now a lean 190 lbs with abs as hard as a table top to keep me from going under the knife.

Next video I will sit up straight and wear a tighter shirt ;)
You look fine.

Hugo Rivera

Hugo Rivera

Audioholics VP of Marketing
Gene is looking amazing for sure. His shirt size is too big however. Next time he will be showing his guns..LOL. By the way, Gene is one of the best training partners I've ever had. The man is INSANE at the gym. When we workout, is a non-stop feast of weight training exercises for 45min - an hour if we feel like it. Gene is as strong at the gym as he is in Audio.

By the way, if you guys like the article/video please share via social media. Help us get the truth out there! Thanks.

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
Don't forget

I'm an electrician, so I wanted to add my two cents on the somewhat recent trend of "Audiophile grade" receptacles. They are a total ripoff. The receptacles themselves are well made but they are nothing more than commercial level, hospital-grade receptacles. Usually made by Hubbell(a good quality manufacturer), they are sold to a high-end company, who silkscreens their logo on the plug and marks it up 300%.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm an electrician, so I wanted to add my two cents on the somewhat recent trend of "Audiophile grade" receptacles. They are a total ripoff. The receptacles themselves are well made but they are nothing more than commercial level, hospital-grade receptacles. Usually made by Hubbell(a good quality manufacturer), they are sold to a high-end company, who silkscreens their logo on the plug and marks it up 300%.
Agreed 100% and thanks for adding this to the discussion. I do like the heavier gauge receptacles with the little slit to accommodate 20A plugs only b/c they can make a more firm connection to the wall.

Last edited:
avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Howdy Gene,

once again you nailed it, as usual!

Oh, BTW, you don't need a Gym anymore, as you naturally became a hard-core amp/speakers lifter, though... anyway, keeping up the good shape :p;)

jinjuku

jinjuku

I want to see some one arm curls of Pass Lab Monoblocks. Me? I'll stick to the Crown XLS Class D stuff.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I want to see some one arm curls of Pass Lab Monoblocks. Me? I'll stick to the Crown XLS Class D stuff.
Part of the reason for the multiple herniated discs I have in my back are from lifting PAss Lab hefty amps up 2 flights of steps by myself b/c I'm too impatient to wait for help.

I've learned a little since then. WAit till you see my review of a 7lbs Class D monoblock that posts next week ;)

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Part of the reason for the multiple herniated discs I have in my back are from lifting PAss Lab hefty amps up 2 flights of steps by myself b/c I'm too impatient to wait for help.

I've learned a little since then. WAit till you see my review of a 7lbs Class D monoblock that posts next week ;)
If you are going to be impatient about such things, you need to first get really, really pumped up, like your friend in the video. Otherwise, as you say, you need patience and wait for some help. You hurt yourself when overestimating your abilities. I know I have limits, and am glad I did not need to learn that the hard way.

I lift weights three times a week. Not because I like it (I don't), but because I like the results. Even so, there are many things I would not ever consider doing on my own. Fortunately, I am not reviewing heavy gear that needs a forklift to safely lift it into place, so I really am not often tempted to overdo things.

And again, you look fine. If you want to avoid the silly jokes early on in the thread that you got from others, sit next to someone else. You really look like you are in better shape than most people by far. Too bad about your back, and hope you can heal (though I realize that is optimistic).

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I thought you were going to say tighter skirt ... :eek: :D
Just because that is what you want to see him wear, that does not mean that he is going to do it for you.

On a more serious topic, it is really good to have a reasonable talk about wires. It is amazing how many people believe a good deal of nonsense on this subject.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Just because that is what you want to see him wear, that does not mean that he is going to do it for you.

On a more serious topic, it is really good to have a reasonable talk about wires. It is amazing how many people believe a good deal of nonsense on this subject.
We have another video on interconnects that's about 5 min long. I honestly could have went on 30 min more with more myths and such but I felt this video was a bit too long already at almost 15 min. Shockingly it's received >800 views and 29 thumbs up on youtube the first day!

We will get our mojo going after a few more and things should progress more naturally. No script was used on this video so it was just me shooting off my mouth ;)

jinjuku

jinjuku

j
I've learned a little since then. Wait till you see my review of a 7lbs Class D monoblock that posts next week ;)
Can't wait to see. Would love to see some DIY *(Hypex) and also Crown XLS 2500 reviewed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis