Krell Introduces new iBias Class A Amplifier Line Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Krell announced their new iBias technology to be integrated into their amplifier line at the CES 2014 show. iBias seeks to maintain the dynamics of the Class A design while reducing the size and heat often associated with Class A. The new line includes a monoblock, two stereo, and one each three, five, and seven channel offerings. Ranging from $7500 to $11,500 (price more closely tied to the watts per channel rather than the number of channels), these are actually pretty affordable for Krell offerings. The question is whether then fans will turn off too many potential consumers.

Discuss "Krell Introduces new iBias Class A Amplifier Line Preview" here. Read the article.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
....... these are actually pretty affordable for Krell offerings. The question is whether then fans will turn off too many potential consumers.

Discuss "Krell Introduces new iBias Class A Amplifier Line Preview" here. Read the article.

Really??:eek: For that much money, it better have teh ability to serve me my cold beer on demand. :p

itschris

itschris

I don't know... the prices on the Krell (the toughest) seem to be in line with McIntosh (the classiest) and Jeff Rowland (sexiest).

I keep reminding the wife that when I'm done at my current gig and we find and move to our final home... one of these three are going to be living with us.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think if I were a billionaire, I would just get McIntosh monoblock amps.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
From Krell:

Krell amplifiers are fully direct-coupled, with no capacitors in the audio signal path. This design gives the Krell amplifiers lower internal impedance, which allows firmer, more precise control of your speakers. Krell CAST Circuitry delivers the purest signal when connected to Krell CAST equipped preamplifiers.
This feature popping is up popping in more amps: Parasound, ATI Signature, and now Krell.

- Rich

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
From Krell:

This feature popping is up popping in more amps: Parasound, ATI Signature, and now Krell.

- Rich
Pretty much all amps have been directed coupled, with no cap in the signal path since the early to mid seventies.

As far as getting class A performance without the heat and unreliability, Peter Walker achieved that over forty years ago, and I have used his wonderful current dumping amps since and would use no others.

This is all marketing BS from Krell.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Pretty much all amps have been directed coupled, with no cap in the signal path since the early to mid seventies.

As far as getting class A performance without the heat and unreliability, Peter Walker achieved that over forty years ago, and I have used his wonderful current dumping amps since and would use no others.

This is all marketing BS from Krell.
Agreed I don't know anyone one using caps in the signal path in amps anymore. In fact, when I was doing my senior level design project for my undergrad, my teacher made me design a level shifting circuit as he wouldn't allow me to use a blocking cap :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Agreed I don't know anyone one using caps in the signal path in amps anymore. In fact, when I was doing my senior level design project for my undergrad, my teacher made me design a level shifting circuit as he wouldn't allow me to use a blocking cap :)
When I see pure nonsense in the ad puffery, and a high price tag, I sense a wallet biopsy not in the customer's interest.

From their description of the bias altering with load, it sounds like standard A/B biasing to me.

If they have something new to offer then they should publish the circuit and the math for peer review. If it is different enough to get a patent they have nothing to fear, of they can't it doesn't matter.

Peter published everything for peer review before going to market. His feed forward design was not a hole in one, that is why there are so many iterations of the 405 and 405-2. In those amps, the slew rate never was high enough to allow full power at the top end of the frequency spectrum. That had to do with stability issues. However as Peter pointed out, music does not require full power at the top end. If it did we would all be blowing tweeters. After the 405 series this issue was solved. However, later iterations of the 405-2 are excellent sounding amps.

By the way, all his owners manuals contained a full circuits and voltage points. How things have changed!

I have 3 KW of power here using current dumping amps, for less than the cost of the cheapest model of those "ibias" amps, whatever that is. If this is something new and in the customers interest, Krell need to step up the plate and let the designers explain and send the marketers home. Until then I have no faith in anything they have to say about these amps.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have to agree with you here, my dream system would be powered and processed by Mc labs
picture a c1000 pre amp, 2 pair of mc2kw's, an mr88 tuner, mc10 table, mcd1100 cd player, mcp1500 power box, men 220 room correction,
I don't know if anyone has seen the mc2kw's in person but its 3 pieces, 2 1000 watt blocks and another module with a huge gauge, its insane.... $70K each, what i listed above would cost around $350K before you buy cables and speakers... For speakers I would most definitely get a custom build, a master speaker builder would be hired for a year and get the room and speakers just rite!!!! and run a pair of 2kw amps to the speakers and a pair to the subs...

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
When I see pure nonsense in the ad puffery, and a high price tag, I sense a wallet biopsy not in the customer's interest.

From their description of the bias altering with load, it sounds like standard A/B biasing to me.

If they have something new to offer then they should publish the circuit and the math for peer review. If it is different enough to get a patent they have nothing to fear, of they can't it doesn't matter.
Krell's strategy is not standard Class AB bias; they have been using predictive variable bias for many years. So have several other manufacturers, including Levinson.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Not me. Needlessly putting output transformers in the signal path of a solid state amp represents questionable engineering. If money was no object there are better designs, IMO, like Pass Labs.

Krell used to be my favorite, but after Dan D was forced out I've lost interest.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
pass labs has some really really nice stuff too, but them mc2kw, are just insane, shock and awe... 2000 watts like 380lbs{:p} just sick...

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If money were no object, I'd choose Boulder Amps ;)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
pass labs has some really really nice stuff too, but them mc2kw, are just insane, shock and awe... 2000 watts like 600lbs just sick...
Actually it's more like 377lbs for all 3 units of the Mc 2kw. I've never been a huge fan of the auto former and I agree with Irv that engineering wise, there are probably "better" designs out there. Aesthetically I do really like the Mc, but performance wise I'd probably look elsewhere in this magical fantasy land where I could afford such things. :D

jinjuku

jinjuku

Krell's strategy is not standard Class AB bias; they have been using predictive variable bias for many years. So have several other manufacturers, including Levinson.
The funny part: Look ahead tracking like this is straight out of the Pro-Audio sound world. Check out Lab Gruppen. They have some very good technical articles on this. And this was before they acquired Lake Processing.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
How about this baby, I seen these in NY, 100 watts pure class a like 200+ lbs.. fuzz can google it for the actual weight, since he is in the correcting mood, lol... these are only 20K$ each..

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The funny part: Look ahead tracking like this is straight out of the Pro-Audio sound world.
But not to my knowledge in the 1990's, when Krell started doing it. Their first implementation used three bias levels, complete with front panel LEDs to show you the bias level.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Actually it's more like 377lbs for all 3 units of the Mc 2kw. I've never been a huge fan of the auto former and I agree with Irv that engineering wise, there are probably "better" designs out there. Aesthetically I do really like the Mc, but performance wise I'd probably look elsewhere in this magical fantasy land where I could afford such things. :D
I remember them saying they were over 600lbs, but they must have been talking about the pair, but I will believe 377, still really heavy, lol... when you stand in front of them they are quite impressive...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis