PlayStation 4, Xbox One - 20th Century Gadgets in a 21st Century World

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The next-gen game-console war officially begins this week when the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One officially hit the market. My own mission to land a PS4 on its launch day was a success; my new PS4 console now has a home in my home theater system and is sure to be a source of unadulterated electronic entertainment joy for years to come. But despite the childlike excitement of unboxing a PS4, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was indulging a 20th century pleasure in a 21st century world.

Discuss "PlayStation 4, Xbox One - 20th Century Gadgets in a 21st Century World" here. Read the article.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
When I think of 20th century pleasures, I also think of listening to music and watching movies on physical media or using a real PC. Quite frankly I prefer them over the 21st century alternatives.. youtube, streaming, tablets... if you ask me, "21st century" just seems to mean "style over substance". To me, the substance is in the art, which is the games. And no, I don't feel games should all be multiplatform. Game consoles only sell based on one thing at their core - video games. They are not Hulu boxes or video chat devices - they are video game machines. If games were available across all platforms then there would be no reason to own any platform besides the best, which is PC - and us HTPCers know you can play PC games from the couch too, at 2K if you so please. I feel the marginalization of game consoles would only marginalize the industry as a whole... we saw how irrelevant Sega has become since they dropped the dreamcast and became a game publisher alone. Do you really want Sony and Nintendo's first parties to have that same lack of focus and attention to detail?

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Honestly, I don't think we disagree on much GranteedEV, although you bring up a few separate issues. I also prefer physical media for best possible quality, but only because the downloadable media as a business is still an infant. I don't watch movies or TV shows on a tablet and I buy Blu-ray when I know I want to own the movie (or show).

There's no reason we couldn't get the same quality with digital downloads, free-and-clear of DRM and possessing a line of accountability and quality control such as the production studios. But I think it's headed in that direction.

As for multiplatform games. I personally don't have an opinion on it. I don't "care" if there are or are not console exclusives. But I do see them as an endangered species. Ultimately game developers won't want to limit the market for their "art" and would only agree to it temporarily when they're hungry for funding. PCs and game-consoles have become homogeneous, both of the new-gen consoles are literally PCs with better controllers and quieter boxes.

It's not really about what I "want", that's irrelevant. I want the best-possible outcome for "the art". It's just what I see coming down. If all game developers are writing code to universally understood instruction sets to cross-compatible GPUs, I don't see any advantage to the "art" in console exclusives.

The worst-case scenario would be next-gen consoles just being dumb-terminals for cloud gaming, I believe in "local" processing-power and media. But I won't be too sad if the "disc" goes away.

SaviorMachine

SaviorMachine

Enthusiast
... I feel the marginalization of game consoles would only marginalize the industry as a whole... we saw how irrelevant Sega has become since they dropped the dreamcast and became a game publisher alone. Do you really want Sony and Nintendo's first parties to have that same lack of focus and attention to detail?
I agree with some of the other arguments you made, but this one in particular bothers me. SEGA always had franchise management issues, even when they had their own hardware platforms. While I think that Sony are too good at making hardware to leave the hardware game, I think that when all's said and done, Nintendo's home console hardware exists exclusively to sell first party Nintendo software; and for that reason it's seldom been a long term good buy, ever since GameCube.

Nintendo definitely should keep it up in the mobile market, because they're still dominant there and will remain so, as long as they find a way to adapt to tablet and phone gaming. But in the living room space... I'm trying to come up with reasons why Nintendo should keep making living room hardware and I'm coming up empty. WiiU sales are in line with these observations.

If they stopped making living room hardware and started publishing for other platforms, then Nintendo would sell bucket loads of Mario and Zelda to XBox and PlayStation owners; and they'd quit burdening us with low end consoles that get abandoned mid-generation.

S

scattershot

Audioholic
I had the Xbox 360 and PS3. I was very disappointed with the original Xbox 360 Kinect, but I did prefer the 360 to the PS3 because of the exclusives, the controller, and Xbox Live service.

I just bought an Xbox One and I got to say I love both the kinect and Microsoft's apps and interfaces.
While the PS4 has a graphical edge (albeit a small one), the Xbox One feels like a "next generation" console.

The Kinect really works well, in Dead Rising for example I can yell at the zombie's to lure them into my trap (stupid zombie's).
The Kinect sensor is dramatically improved, so you can actually have it work in smaller apartments and support up to 4 people at a time. There is so much better about it (not just skype resolution) but I'll leave that rant to other threads. (It's also pretty cool to walk in front of the Xbox and it immediately signs you in).

Lastly, the multi-tasking capabilities of the Xbox are really smooth and work really well (particularly the "snapping" options). Really the Xbox One feels much more "next gen" then the PS4, and as a guy who pays a premium for his iPad and iPhone, the extra $100 for the Xbox One is well worth all the extra technology built in (the Kinect and the OS).

Not to mention I prefer the Xbox one controller, and love that it uses rechargeable AA batteries.

Lastly, the Xbox "SmartGlass" implementation is really cool. In Dead Rising, my iPad becomes a cellphone, interactive map, and mission launcher.
In Netflix, it offers really great control of my video playback.
That's just a couple examples of how Microsoft is effectively using other technologies (like tablet PC's by Android, Apple, and Microsoft) to enhance the gaming experience.

If you aren't a fanboy and are sitting on the fence as to which console to buy, I'd buy a Xbox One.
(Personally I'd buy both systems if you can afford it, but to be honest I think a Xbox One / Wii U setup offers more variety of games then a Xbox One / PS4 setup... On the other hand, I know lucky friends who will buy all 3, but with my limited time if you have to choose just one console I'd grab the Xbox One)

S

scattershot

Audioholic
Just some thoughts on the "best of the "launch" games for Xbox One owners. (I did a lot of research of both the Xbox One and PS4 games before buying an Xbox One).

Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 5 - Xbox One - IGN
The best game on the system. A visual masterpiece and even the girlfriend / wife who may not like racing games, may enjoy the advanced car design / paint feature so, for example, you can design your own custom mini copper paintjob with custom decals and race it. Or choose from a huge selection of community made designs. Fyi I'm not a racing fan, and I love this game (First racing game I bought in 5 years).

Dead Rising 3
Dead Rising 3 - Xbox One - IGN
One of the most popular games on the system, it's like playing the Walking Dead TV series in a video game (note: this is actually better then the Walking Dead video game).
It's very violent and gory however, as a zombie apocalypse would entail, so isn't suitable to everyone.
With the Kinect, you can interact with the Zombie's like calling them over to you, tricking them, etc. Also works well with "SmartGlass" application for iPad, Android, and Surface.

For people who like shooting games, this is the best single-player "First Person Shooter"
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Ghosts - Xbox One - IGN

I prefer to play this genre online only so I bought this game instead:
Battlefield 4 (Xbox One)
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/battlefield-4-limited-edition-xbox-360/10207591.aspx?
It's an amazing game, but only for people who like this genre and prefer to play online so I don't know if that qualifies for anyone in your family.

This is a popular action-adventure game:
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Xbox One - IGN

This is the 2nd best looking game on the Xbox, and it has impressive sound. It's fun but it's a quick game (6 hours) and then you sell it (e.g. a "rental").
Ryse: Son of Rome
Ryse: Son of Rome - Xbox One - IGN
(Reminded me of the King Kong launch title on the Xbox 360 which was meant to be a quick game that showcased the new hardware).

Of note the Xbox One Kinect is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over the Xbox 360 kinect so games that use the Kinect camera (e.g. movement games - no game pads required) are really good this time around including:
Just Dance 2014 (Xbox One)
Just Dance 2014 (Xbox One) : Xbox One Games - Best Buy Canada
(If your room is big enough 4 people at a time can play!)

Zumba Fitness World Party (Xbox One)
Zumba Fitness World Party (Xbox One) : Xbox One Games - Best Buy Canada

----- Fun for the whole family

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Xbox One) [I bought this]
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Xbox One) : Xbox One Games - Best Buy Canada
You can play 2 players, and even though it's a bit childlike (think Pixar movie) it's actually something for people of any ages to play.
Most Lego games aren't very good, but this is one is a lot of fun and it's kid friendly with puzzles too.

And then there are the sports games. The headliners are these 3:
FIFA 14 (Xbox One)
NBA 2K14 Xbox One
NBA 2K14 - Xbox One - IGN
Madden NFL 25
Madden NFL 25 - Xbox One - IGN

----- Closing notes.

Many Xbox one games as well as applications (like Netflix) are designed to also be controlled from a Tablet PC (iPad, Android, or Surface).
Microsoft has application for each of those device called "Smartglass for Xbox One".
If you download that app on your tablet PC (or iPhone, although screen is a bit too small), you will get extra fuctionality out of it.

I like controlling Netflix on my Xbox one from my iPad, it's very intuitive.

In a game like dead rising, the "Smartglass App" is used as a cellphone, interactive map, etc.
(It isn't supported in every game, but a lot of games support it).

Last neat feature of smart glass is you can use your tablet as a keyboard for applications like YouTube, Netflix, Skype, Browsing the web, etc.

----- other points:

-the Kinect camera works with the built in Skype -- and it's a high quality camera so the Skype feature works REALLY well.

-the Xbox One has a "HDMI input" so you can plug your cable box into it and it will integrate in a neat way with your cable box (for example, someone could be playing a video game while a TV channel is snapped to a window on screen as well.

This link should help you get started with using the Xbox One (since like most things these days they come with online manuals):
Xbox One How-To Guides - Xbox One Wiki Guide - IGN

Hope my post can be used as a "Holidays Shopper Guide" for any Xbox One owners, or anyone thinking of buying Xbox One for family members.

Please note as with any console launch, there are a LOT of crappy games out there as well, so I'd stick with choosing one or more of the games from my list if in doubt.

The best back-ward complement I can give the Xbox One is that it feels like Apple-Style innovation and ingenuity. (Keep in mind I have a Windows Desktop PC, but I love my iPad and iPhone).

Happy gaming all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyfighter

Tyfighter

Junior Audioholic
I bought the Xb one and PS4.

For my tastes and what I was looking for, the PS4 is the surefire best bet. Factor in the better graphics, better install times, better multiplatform gaming (framerates and resolution is better in games from AC to BF4, etc), and better 1st party support it seems a no brainer. I loved the 360, Wii, and PS3.

Navigation on the XbOne system is more convoluted than it should be. There are less apps than there are on 360, but they managed to make things slower...I am not in love with any of the exclusives, but the PS4 being $100 cheaper with better performance was nice. Considering I was playing BF4, it was nice knowing it's in higher resolution, and better framerates on the cheaper console.
I wish Kinect wasn't forced bundled, and it feels they with this new layered menu system they are almost pushing voice controls on you. The quality of sound and image go down if you use the cable aspects of the box, so I unplugged all of that.

It's a $500 gaming machine, so if you like Halo...you know that's coming probably next Xmas. Why not wait until next Xmas for a Halo 5 Bundled $400 Xb One? That's what my woman wanted me to do.

In the box, both machines come with headsets, although I was disappointed the Xb one controllers still used batteries in this day and age. My cellphones, laptop, Wii U, PS3, PS4, 3DS, DS, Vita, and PSP had internal batteries. Microsoft wanted to sell those $25 charge kits, I guess. Shipping last this generation lost some excitement points for me. As it stands my Xb One is ONLY for exclusives since everything else will be better elsewhere. That leaves some fun in Dead Rising 3 for now.

In the PS4, you do get PS+ you get 30 days in the box free, and a $10 giftcard. With PS+, I ended up getting Resogun on the launch day and instead of paying $15, it came with the PS+ subscription. On Black Friday weekend, Sony was selling a year of PS+ for $30, so I grabbed that. Now I have subs to both machines for a year. Xbox Live is $60 though, but out of the gate it didn't grant me any games off their store for Xb One.

This is not a 360 or PS3 situation. Everything is reset. Sony has new engineers behind the PS4, and Microsoft seems to have used the Windows 8 team, not the 360 team.

That's my take. The Value of the PS4 as a gaming machine is better. For entertainment, the Xb One may take that down the road, but right now they have some quirks to fix as the sound is reduced to stereo and the image quality of your cable is lowered for whatever reason.

The big winner?

My Wii U...playing Mario 3D Land with the woman of my dreams.

My advice to those on the fence, do some research as there is a lot to learn about these machines that a sales person won't know or won't say. I would personally tell those not fascinated by day one tech to just go and buy a PS3, 360, or Wii at this point. So many great games still coming out.

This year alone we saw on last gen consoles amazing games like Sony's very own The Last of Us, or Take 2's Bioshock Infinite. A lot of great titles and more bang for your buck there.

Last edited:
Tyfighter

Tyfighter

Junior Audioholic
If you aren't a fanboy and are sitting on the fence as to which console to buy, I'd buy a Xbox One.
As someone who owns all three last gen and new gen, I disagree with that completely.
Also, it's not very polite to call people names if they don't agree with your tastes.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
As soon as MS had their e3 conference, I cancelled my xbox live. Their arrogance was unbelievable. #dealwithit.

Ill never buy another MS product again.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
As soon as MS had their e3 conference, I cancelled my xbox live. Their arrogance was unbelievable. #dealwithit.

Ill never buy another MS product again.
I'm not living without Office, Visual Studio, and Xbox. They can be as arrogant as they want IMO. Of course I'm not buying a one for at least a year.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I'm not living without Office, Visual Studio, and Xbox. They can be as arrogant as they want IMO. Of course I'm not buying a one for at least a year.
You really still use visual studio??
I have little use for office anymore either, with the occasional exception of Excel.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You really still use visual studio??
I have little use for office anymore either, with the occasional exception of Excel.
Nearly every big company uses Visual Studio to some degree. It's not my teams primary development tool though it has much higher quality than what we use. MVC significantly cut development time at my last place. They do of course have issues like SQL Server which is problematic, Windows 8 leaving out the start button option. I actually prefer metro, but I love figuring out new technology. No company is perfect, but at least MS had the good sense to listen to the users.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I was half joking. But there's no reason to build anything new on MS. Not when django and python are out there. Why pay for an IDE?

back on topic, if you're in the us, the tv features could be compelling I guess. I follow the best developers. Sony has Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, and Sucker Punch. And now Bungie is multiplat. MS only has whoever they pay to make an exclusive.

ultimately for most though it'll come down to what system their friends get so they can play with them online. The only game I'll miss is halo, though I really didn't like halo 4 after 343 took over, so maybe not even that.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
As someone who owns all three last gen and new gen, I disagree with that completely.
Also, it's not very polite to call people names if they don't agree with your tastes.
Agreed, if you want name calling please go to Video Game Charts, Game Sales, Top Sellers, Game Data - VGChartz. But be warned, its a very heavy PS4 fanbase there.

I also 100% Disagree with TyFigher as I also own both systems and right now the Xbox one is the better value IMO

Navigation on the XbOne system is more convoluted than it should be. There are less apps than there are on 360, but they managed to make things slower...I am not in love with any of the exclusives, but the PS4 being $100 cheaper with better performance was nice. Considering I was playing BF4, it was nice knowing it's in higher resolution, and better framerates on the cheaper console.

1. I think the Navigation works great, it's not perfect, but its launch, and neither is the PS4..oh wait I have to buy the camera...
- You are automatically signed w/Kinect
- I have had little to no difficulty with voice commands
- They also work great in games like Ryse and Dead Rising three, and while others may call "gimmicky" I think they definitely add value

"The quality of sound and image go down if you use the cable aspects of the box, so I unplugged all of that."
- Still in beta on this, I agree but it will soon support multi-channel and I have read nothing on picture quality going down

"It's a $500 gaming machine, so if you like Halo...you know that's coming probably next Xmas. Why not wait until next Xmas for a Halo 5 Bundled $400 Xb One? That's what my woman wanted me to do."

- You do realize that MS spent has made over a 1 billion dollar investment for gaming and new IPs and has 3rd party exclusives as well
- Titanfall, Project Spark, Quantum Break, Fable Lengands..just to name a few, its more than just Halo
- Xbox one has more media functionality, its not just a game machine, just a game machine describes the PS4

2. Agree the PS4 has the stronger hardware, to a degree, BF4/COD/AC4 have higher resoultion, but that means little too me if I can't tell the difference on the screen and actually the Xbox One has better frame rate on BF4.
- To be honest so far this generation Ryse is the the best looking game so for I have played this generation, but graphics are not everything
- Xbox One has an issue reserving 10% of its GPU for Kinect, so unless this changes, it will be challenged keeping up

"Microsoft wanted to sell those $25 charge kits"
- Agree, but I like the option to swap out battery packs in the middle of a game where you battery goes low, its much more preferable than plugging in a cord, especially the PS4 because the cable is so damn short! lol

"In the PS4, you do get PS+ you get 30 days in the box free, and a $10 giftcard. With PS+"
- That was the launch edition, the $10.00 gift card is not included
- Gamestop had a similar promo for the Xbox one $34.99 for live when I bought my console at launch

"The Value of the PS4 as a gaming machine is better. For entertainment, the Xb One may take that down the road, but right now they have some quirks to fix as the sound is reduced to stereo and the image quality of your cable is lowered for whatever reason."

- Very Subjective IMO. Right now I picked up the PS4 at Launch with Killzone, then picked up the Xbox One at launch with Ryse and Dead Rising 3. They PS4 is collecting dust
- I know Sony will come along with great exclusives, but right now the better games(exclusive wise) are better on the XB1
- If you want BF4 or Call of Duty then go PS4 AC4 looks great on both systems as you can watch many video comparisons

At the end of the day which system is better depends on where your interest lies on games. To judge a console purely by launch titles is a little premature, but I have a feeling that the Xbox One has more options outside gaming and only time will tell if Kinect 2.0 is any better, but so my impressions are positive.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis