D

ds77

Enthusiast
Hi all,

Hooking up my new Onkyo 502 to my dvd/Wega using Component Video.

I have component video running from receiver>dvd>tv. Then I have coaxial digital running from receiver>tv for aud. Everything looks hooked up correctly, I have gone over everything what seems like a million times now :)

Get audio no problem, sounds great actually!
Video I get..but heres the problem. Its all colored Red. I dont understand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-ds

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
a number of posters here and on other sites have reported video drop-out problems on the x02 series of Onkyo receivers. First try to run the video lines straight to the TV. If you get a clean signal there, box up the Onkyo and trade it in for a x01 model or a Denon, Yamaha, Sony, etc, equivalent...

Maybe your dealer will even manage to fake a shocked look on his face... :(

if the video is still bad, borrow a friend's DVD player that you know works and run it straight to the TV. if it's still bad, the TV may either need to be adjusted or repaired. :(

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
does it look red on simple broadcast TV if not run through the receiver ?

D

ds77

Enthusiast
Thanks that helped a little!

Ok, So the component vid is now only connected between the tv and the dvd player (toshiba cheapo) and I still have a Red Hue. So now I am beginning to think its the dvd player..?

D

ds77

Enthusiast
It does not look Red on simple broadcast. Everything is normal when just surfing channels.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
check the cables. make sure you matched the colors right on the component input to the TV. if those look good, swap the cables around, just keep track of how the colors match up. you probably have either a bad connection or a bad cable. :)

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
ds77 said:
I will let you know how it works out...stupid cables. :)
I would always much rather say "stupid cable" than "stupid WEGA" !!! :eek:

D

ds77

Enthusiast
Checked all the cables and they are all lined up and looking good. BUt still the red screen :(

run down..

dvd>tv using component cable=red screen
receiver>dvd>tv using component=red screen
dvd>tv using analog red/white/yellow= normal picture

also when I am hooked up using the two ways that give me a red screen.. THe Wega has 3 vid modes, if I am on any one of those modes and hit the channel up or down button it will bring me back to the boradcasting mode. If I do this it wil go from a red screen to normal picture broadcast mode.

So this leads me to believe my dvd is a piece of junk.

D

ds77

Enthusiast
btw, thanks for the help, I was frustrated and you got me thinking straight :D

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
ds77 said:
Checked all the cables and they are all lined up and looking good. BUt still the red screen :(

So this leads me to believe my dvd is a piece of junk.
did you try swapping the order around to see if just one cable was bad ? if your red hue suddenly turned into a blue hue when you moved the order of the cables, that would mean it was a cable problem....

D

ds77

Enthusiast
I did swap it around. Not much change other than red/green wavy lines when moving them around. I also made sure none of the cables were twisted, they are 3foot acoustic research component vid cables, so I assume that if I trace one end of the cable to the other and they are both the same color they are ok?

Tonight I will be headed to the shack or best buy and pick up one more s-video cable and see if the same thing happens using s-video rather than component....

I got great audio, but a horrible red screen. I am so close to getting right...almost. :)

Last edited:
S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
One little assumption we are making....

That somebody, somewhere, didn't label a connection incorrectly, or miswired the wiring harness within one of the components.

Try swapping cable connections, even if you think/know that they are right, and see what happens.

D

ds77

Enthusiast
Went out and picked up a second s-vid connection and it works flawlessly. So not knowing which one of the component vid cables is the culprit, I am taking htem both back and getting new ones. Somthing I noticed after reading your post sjdgpt, looking at both sets of cables, one end of one one of them has a different look to it, mangled around the casing, hard to notice unless you look. SO back they go.

THanks for the problem solving, helped a lot.

C

captgeek

Audiophyte
1 more Red Screen!

Hi there,

I got myself a brand new pair of component cable (Philips) and hooked my Denon DVD player to my Panasonic plasma, all excited.
What I now have on my plasma is a Red Hue to any/all the DVDs that I try out. The same DVDs look great when I switch to composit (Red, Yellow, White) cable.

Please suggest the way out..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis