R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I’ve played with this receiver, but had a chance to do a full setup with it this weekend. It was bought at Best Buy for $349 (Better deals exist on the web). I must say, I really like the Denon offerings this year. They’ve made every effort to bring costs down without ruining the product.

Build Quality
The build quality of the Denon is good, but nothing extravagant and bland. Looking inside, it seems less packed than some other receivers like the Harman/Kardon 254. One thing I did not see was a fan which does exist in some other receivers. I see this as a plus since a fan will likely breakdown before anything else. The back of the receiver has full binding posts and isn’t terribly cluttered. I did notice when I pushed the banana plugs into the binding posts, the back plate would bend a bit unlike some other receivers. I should note that this receiver supports 5.1 and not 7.1.

Connectivity
The 590 has 3 HDMI in, 1 HDMI out and some component and composite connections. It has no S-Video except for one for I-Pod purposes only. It also has coax and optical connections for audio. It has preouts for subwoofer, left, and right. The subwoofer is clear to me, but I wasn’t sure why preouts for left and right channels were included. I suppose if you’d like to attach an external amplifier for 2-channel listening, you can do it.

Setup and Remote
This is without a doubt Denon’s Achilles heel in the budget receiver market. I really don’t care about the remote as anyone using a receiver like this will likely have a universal remote. The OSD is white text over a black background if your source uses HDMI and white text over overlay video if your source uses composite. Setup proves a bit more difficult than say the HK 254. Once you get used to it, it’s fine, but for a newbie, setup will take time. One nice thing about the old-fashion, monochrome menus is that they’re snappier than the colorful GUI ones I’ve encountered. It’s kind of nice to zip around the menus quickly and not have to wait for something to animate.

Sound and Power
The receiver out of the box with manual setup sounds pretty much no different to me than the comparable receivers at moderate volume. Then I ran Audyssey… Despite being a budget receiver, Denon included the MultiEQ as opposed to the 2EQ used in the Onkyo 607 which is a more expensive receiver. I have never been a fan of Audyssey, but I don’t believe I have ever used the MultiEQ. I can say it does matter and made a huge difference in the room the 590 was installed in. Without Audyssey engaged, the sound was shrill and thin by comparison. Audyssey nailed everything except the subwoofer level and distance; a quick, manual adjustment. Power-wise, the 590 didn’t disappoint. I pushed it pretty hard and it handled everything without issue. It was barely warm after heavy use probably due to lack of video processing. The 590 does include decoders for all the HD audio formats.

Video
The 590 will upconvert analog inputs and pipe them out over HDMI, but does not upscale. I actually like the fact that Denon went this route. In my opinion, scalers in budget receivers suck in general. Most of the time, the scaler in the display will do a better job and a scaler inside a receiver adds heat. All budget receivers should use this implementation in my opinion. The 590 does de-interlace 480i to 480p; pretty harmless. If you want a scaler, stepping up to the 1910/790 will get you an Anchor Bay chip.

It appears Denon has nailed the budget receiver market. The lack of full preouts isn’t a big deal as you probably wouldn’t use an external amp in this price range. The Audyssey features are fabulous including the Dynamic Volume which does work on all sources to my surprise. Handy feature… Denon still includes a robust enough amp section which is nice considering so many started skimping. If Denon starts adding an easy-to-use GUI and preouts to all their receivers, they’ll be unstoppable.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Thats a nice review. Can I ask how big the room was and what speakers the receiver was driving.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The room was 15x20 give or take with 9ft ceilings. Speakers were the Aperion 4 series.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
The room was 15x20 give or take with 9ft ceilings. Speakers were the Aperion 4 series.
That makes the review even more impressive considering the Aperion's are not all that efficient as well as the room size.

davidgelb

davidgelb

Audiophyte
Hi rnatalli,
I just received a Denon 1610. I have a DVD player connected via optical and analog tuner, but to hear either, the volume must be turned up (set to absolute 0-99, it must be turned up to at least 30 to even hear a whisper of sound). Does this seem right, or does that seem awfully high? I had a 1802 before this and I don't remember having to turn it up nearly that high to hear anything.

Thank you,
David

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
It's normal on all receivers; older receivers had a different gain structure. Don't pay attention to the numbers on the screen, trust your ears.

davidgelb

davidgelb

Audiophyte
Thanks rnatalli,

I appreciate the help...I thought that was the case, but I wanted to make sure before my exchange period was up.

Is that the same case as with the relative volumes (as opposed to the absolute volumes)? I thought that was based on a certain standard.

Thanks!!

-David

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
It's the same with relative volume. It has to do with the gain. On the Denon 1610/590, I found once you started pushing 60,70 (absolute), it started getting really loud. Same with the HK 254 and several other receivers.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
What is considered reference when running the absolute volume scale.

davidgelb

davidgelb

Audiophyte
anamorphic96 -

That is a good question. Is there anything that can be used as reference to make sure the receiver is operating correctly?

Thanks!

-David

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Forget the numbers on the receiver screen. Use an SPL meter to determine reference level. Some people use 75db as a reference point.

F

farout

Audioholic Intern
I’ve played with this receiver, but had a chance to do a full setup with it this weekend. It was bought at Best Buy for $349 (Better deals exist on the web). I must say, I really like the Denon offerings this year. They’ve made every effort to bring costs down without ruining the product.

Build Quality
The build quality of the Denon is good, but nothing extravagant and bland. Looking inside, it seems less packed than some other receivers like the Harman/Kardon 254. One thing I did not see was a fan which does exist in some other receivers. I see this as a plus since a fan will likely breakdown before anything else. The back of the receiver has full binding posts and isn’t terribly cluttered. I did notice when I pushed the banana plugs into the binding posts, the back plate would bend a bit unlike some other receivers. I should note that this receiver supports 5.1 and not 7.1.

Connectivity
The 590 has 3 HDMI in, 1 HDMI out and some component and composite connections. It has no S-Video except for one for I-Pod purposes only. It also has coax and optical connections for audio. It has preouts for subwoofer, left, and right. The subwoofer is clear to me, but I wasn’t sure why preouts for left and right channels were included. I suppose if you’d like to attach an external amplifier for 2-channel listening, you can do it.

Setup and Remote
This is without a doubt Denon’s Achilles heel in the budget receiver market. I really don’t care about the remote as anyone using a receiver like this will likely have a universal remote. The OSD is white text over a black background if your source uses HDMI and white text over overlay video if your source uses composite. Setup proves a bit more difficult than say the HK 254. Once you get used to it, it’s fine, but for a newbie, setup will take time. One nice thing about the old-fashion, monochrome menus is that they’re snappier than the colorful GUI ones I’ve encountered. It’s kind of nice to zip around the menus quickly and not have to wait for something to animate.

Sound and Power
The receiver out of the box with manual setup sounds pretty much no different to me than the comparable receivers at moderate volume. Then I ran Audyssey… Despite being a budget receiver, Denon included the MultiEQ as opposed to the 2EQ used in the Onkyo 607 which is a more expensive receiver. I have never been a fan of Audyssey, but I don’t believe I have ever used the MultiEQ. I can say it does matter and made a huge difference in the room the 590 was installed in. Without Audyssey engaged, the sound was shrill and thin by comparison. Audyssey nailed everything except the subwoofer level and distance; a quick, manual adjustment. Power-wise, the 590 didn’t disappoint. I pushed it pretty hard and it handled everything without issue. It was barely warm after heavy use probably due to lack of video processing. The 590 does include decoders for all the HD audio formats.

Video
The 590 will upconvert analog inputs and pipe them out over HDMI, but does not upscale. I actually like the fact that Denon went this route. In my opinion, scalers in budget receivers suck in general. Most of the time, the scaler in the display will do a better job and a scaler inside a receiver adds heat. All budget receivers should use this implementation in my opinion. The 590 does de-interlace 480i to 480p; pretty harmless. If you want a scaler, stepping up to the 1910/790 will get you an Anchor Bay chip.

It appears Denon has nailed the budget receiver market. The lack of full preouts isn’t a big deal as you probably wouldn’t use an external amp in this price range. The Audyssey features are fabulous including the Dynamic Volume which does work on all sources to my surprise. Handy feature… Denon still includes a robust enough amp section which is nice considering so many started skimping. If Denon starts adding an easy-to-use GUI and preouts to all their receivers, they’ll be unstoppable.
is the avr-588 dennon anything like yours. isnt it in the same series. i have one still in box. im using a avr-4800 3300.00 i paid 2200.00 but it is not in the same class. no hdmi etc. older series. gret receiver a monster for sound. next to the flagship.cant part with it just for hdmi and so on. it works fine in my home theater setup.farout

TheSoundMan21

TheSoundMan21

Audioholic Intern
ok nvm thanks guys

Last edited:
D

dan083

Audiophyte
I'm looking for a way to connect my denon 1610 to a wireless speaker. Local electronic store sold me a device that plugs into headphone jack but it wouldn't pair with bluetooth speaker.
any suggeztions?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis