Are there any DTS 7.1 tiltles on dvd ?

G

Gerald

Audioholic Intern
I have "Gladiator" and "Final Destination 2" in DTS 6.1 on dvd. Are there any DTS 7.1 titles on dvd ?

Thanks,

Gerald :)

Last edited:
G

Gerald

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for answering me.

<< There are no dicrete 7.1 mixes in any format. >> Then why there are 7.1 receivers ?

U

Unregistered

There are 7.1 receivers because having 7 speakers can create a more enveloping sound field with speakers at your front, sides, and behind you. There are currently no 7.1 discrete recordings but that doesn't mean you can't get 7.1 sound.

Receivers have many options for expanding 2 channel or 5.1 channel mixes to 6.1 or 7.1. 'All channel stereo' modes take 2 channel mixes and expand them to 5, 6 or 7 channels. Dolby Prologic II expands 2 channel to 5.1. DPLIIx expands 2 channel analog or digital to 6.1 or 7.1 and can also expand 5.1 to either 6.1 or 7.1. DPLIIx can be layered on top of DTS 5.1 or 6.1 to create 7.1, etc...

So the number of discrete channels recorded on a disc has only a limited relationship to how many channels you can get for playback. There are no discs in any format that contain 7.1 discrete channels, but that may change in the future so having a 7.1 receiver is useful to be ready for future 7.1 formats should they ever arrive. A 7.1 receiver is also useful now if you want to use the processing modes described above to get 7.1 sound from 2,5.1, or 6.1 sources. Additionally, many 7.1 receivers can be configured to play 5.1 in the main room and use the other two amps to drive stereo speakers in another room. Lots of good reasons to choose a 7.1 receiver in my opinion.

G

Gerald

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for your very interesting explanation. I have a 7.1 receiver, an Onkyo TX-NR801(B).

Best Wishes,

Gerald :)

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
There are 7.1 receivers because having 7 speakers can create a more enveloping sound field with speakers at your front, sides, and behind you. There are currently no 7.1 discrete recordings but that doesn't mean you can't get 7.1 sound.

Receivers have many options for expanding 2 channel or 5.1 channel mixes to 6.1 or 7.1. 'All channel stereo' modes take 2 channel mixes and expand them to 5, 6 or 7 channels. Dolby Prologic II expands 2 channel to 5.1. DPLIIx expands 2 channel analog or digital to 6.1 or 7.1 and can also expand 5.1 to either 6.1 or 7.1. DPLIIx can be layered on top of DTS 5.1 or 6.1 to create 7.1, etc...

So the number of discrete channels recorded on a disc has only a limited relationship to how many channels you can get for playback. There are no discs in any format that contain 7.1 discrete channels, but that may change in the future so having a 7.1 receiver is useful to be ready for future 7.1 formats should they ever arrive. A 7.1 receiver is also useful now if you want to use the processing modes described above to get 7.1 sound from 2,5.1, or 6.1 sources. Additionally, many 7.1 receivers can be configured to play 5.1 in the main room and use the other two amps to drive stereo speakers in another room. Lots of good reasons to choose a 7.1 receiver in my opinion.

There is EX which is 7.1 and DTS ES which is 6.1 or something like that. I have a Sony 7.1 reciever and there are movies in 7.1 and 6.1 cause I have seen/heard them. But only a few. Dont you just hate it when someone writes like thay no what their talking about but don't have a clue.

Dan L Fedric Jr

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
There is EX which is 7.1 and DTS ES which is 6.1 or something like that. I have a Sony 7.1 reciever and there are movies in 7.1 and 6.1 cause I have seen/heard them. But only a few. Dont you just hate it when someone writes like thay no what their talking about but don't have a clue.

Dan L Fedric Jr
Yes, I do and I would put Dan L Fedric Jr in that category. The 'EX' you are talking about is Thx Ultra 2 and it is a matrix decoding format, just like the others described. There are no discrete 7.1 movies in any format! Do some research on your own before making a fool of yourself.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
So there are no 7.1 DVD titles out there. Whew, I almost thought I was missing some titles with all those 7.1, 8.1 and 9.1 receivers out there.

I was about to ask if there are 7.1 DVD players as well. Wouldn't make much sense playng a 7.1 DVD on a 5.1 player that won't recognize the format, would it? Or maybe the S/PDIF will just pass it on and wouldn't care less how channels there are?

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,
My DTS copy of "The Haunting" shows 6.1 Discrete on the face plate of my Denon 5800/03.

I can't remember if the 5800, prior to the upgrade had the capability to recognise it but the back of the DVD's box says that it's a decoder issue and based on what you have will play in 5.1/6.1Matrix/6.1 Discrete.

I have purchased as many of my 150 dvd's in DTS as possible. The Haunting is the only one that I remember was discrete. I've written to DTS for a list to-day. Let's see what they say.

Peter m.
PS I ran into this thread from a Google search

U

Unregistered

This is Dan Fedric again and what I was saying is that their are DVD's that are 7.1 movies when my receiver is on auto detect and an ex or 7.1 movie is playing my dolby digital blue light comes on and instead of the receiver showing 3/2.1 it show somthing like 7.1 ex and the two rear center speakers magicly start working and it is awesome. I would call that a 7.1 movie you on the other hand are trying to make people think that this does not exsist.
And I'm here to tell you it does weather its matrix or decrete the format does exsist and it sounds really good and you do need a 7.1 receive to hear it.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
7.1 as of now

There are actually not any 7.1 movies out yet. 7.1 from both Dolby and DTS use a processing algorithm to send portions of the signal to the side speakers and portions of the signal to the back. in the case of a 6.1 disk, it splits the 6th channel and "ghosts" it to the back 2 channels.

a good 7.1 system can split out the signal very well and would indicate this as 7.1 on the receiver display. as of right now, though, it's just phantom processing, not truly seperate channels.

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
This is Dan Fedric again and what I was saying is that their are DVD's that are 7.1 movies when my receiver is on auto detect and an ex or 7.1 movie is playing my dolby digital blue light comes on and instead of the receiver showing 3/2.1 it show somthing like 7.1 ex and the two rear center speakers magicly start working and it is awesome. I would call that a 7.1 movie you on the other hand are trying to make people think that this does not exsist.
And I'm here to tell you it does weather its matrix or decrete the format does exsist and it sounds really good and you do need a 7.1 receive to hear it.
Dan, you need to do some research on surround formats; the information is out there if you choose to look for it. Start with the Dolby site. There are zero 7.1 discs. That means there are no discs that have 7.1 channels of information recorded on them. Sure, a 7.1 receiver can apply a processing mode, like DPLIIx, to turn 2 channel analog, 2 channel digital, 5.1 or 6.1 digital for playback on 7.1 speakers, but there are no discs that have 7.1 channels recorded.

You are confused because you think that the number of speakers playing equates to the number of channels on the disc. If you play a normal 2 channel CD, you can apply DPLIIx to get sound out of 7 speakers, but the disc still only has 2 channels.

M

mike frenette

7.1 format does not exist: confirmed

I work in the field of home theatres (for 15 years now). Everyone saying that 7.1 format exist is a fool and doesn't make the diference between the receiver's ability and the format "on" the disc.

7.1 is the receiver's ability to take a signal and translate it into 7.1 channels. But be assured that the format does not exist on any disc.
What the receivers does is; taking the signal (ES or EX) and taking the information contained in the sixth channel and spreading it over two speakers with a certain amount of steering. Yes it may sound good, but in certain occasions it diminishes the steering between speakers by taking too much information and spreading over too many speakers.

Those who turned on the EX or ES on non-EX-ES movies will notice the dimished steering between Lsurround and Rsurround and the necessity to turn the volume up on the two channels.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
7.1 discrete, not yet, but soon?

The DVD, Seven, has a version which is DTS 6.1 discrete, just to name another. To the best of my knowledge their are no titles with 6.1 discrete channels in Dolby, I may be wrong, but I believe Dolby 5.1 EX is 6.1 matrixed. I beleive DTS is the only one to have 6.1 discrete titles, but they also have 6.1 matrixed titles like 007 Die Another Day.

I did read, however, that Dolby Digital Plus is looking into making 7.1 discrete happen. Here is a link to the article.

Dolby Digital Plus

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
You are correct about the 6.1 titles and formats hopjohn. DTS has a new format that promises 7.1 discrete too. I think it is now called DTS-HD (it was originally called DTS++, similar to the new Dolby Digital + you mentioned).

J

JB072

Audiophyte
converting to 7.1

Does the Sony STR-DE897 have the ability to convert dvd's to 7.1

C

Cuteman

Audioholic Intern
7.1, 8.1, 9.1 may not be supported by discreet channels of audio, however when you want dual zone speaker support, you're going to need those extra channels

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
This amount of confusion is sad.

Does anyone else besides me think it is sad that people are still this confused about these formats? People like Dan Fedric (I hate to pick on you, but you obviously have no real understanding about what is on a DVD or how your receiver works) add to this confusion by posting completely ignorant statements like:

"There is EX which is 7.1 and DTS ES which is 6.1 or something like that. I have a Sony 7.1 reciever and there are movies in 7.1 and 6.1 cause I have seen/heard them. But only a few. Dont you just hate it when someone writes like thay no what their talking about but don't have a clue."

Maybe home theater is just too confusing for the average person. Do you think? I mean the regulars on this format aren't going to waste their time trying to set someone straight when the reply is "you don't have a clue." Of course all the HT vets know without thinking that the most discrete channels available on a consumer format is 6.1 called DTS 6.1 discrete. Why is this so hard to understand? This stuff has been around for a long time. I think HTiB has dumbed down HT too much!! People don't have to understand what is going on any longer. Everything is color coded and dummy proof. Obviously you see the problem with this.

By the way, there are a lot more 6.1 discrete and matrixed discs out there than you think. Here are some more:

The Beastmaster (DTS 6.1 discrete)
Blade II (DTS 6.1 discrete)
The Butterfly Effect (DTS 6.1 discrete)
Die Another Day ( DTS 5.1 ES- matrixed)
Gladiator (DTS 6.1 discrete)
Highlander (DTS 6.1 discrete)
The Running Man (DTS 6.1 discrete)
Seven (DTS 6.1 discrete)
All Lord of the Rings extended versions are DTS 6.1 discrete
All Star Wars movies are DD 5.1 EX (matrixed 6.1)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis