G

guiness

Enthusiast
I have a Samsung 40 inch L.C.D. I have it mounted on my wall, it sits back somewhat in a relatively dark area. My question is what is the purpose of lighting behind the T.V. I see some of the T.V's have this feature built in. So is it just a fashion thing, or would I benefit from putting some type of lighting behind my T.V.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
There is a reason for it. My video calibration disc discusses it, although I apologize because I don't remember the specifics. Basically, it comes down to having a certain level of ambient light.

EDIT: This site might help explain it a bit more: http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Philips lays claim that it adds depth to the picture. I can not conclude if it does do this or not.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I don't care for the Phillips AmbiLight thing that is part of the TV and changes colors. To me, that is purely a gimmick and a distracting one at that.

The idea behind having a little ambient light however is good and I usually turn on the light above the fireplace. The fireplace is to the right of the TV area so the light is not directly on the screen but rather shining on a small area of the wall to the right. Soon that switch will be a Lutron Maestro dimmer so I can dim it from my seat.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Philip's ambilight feature adjusts the color of the lights to match that of the picture on the screen, to add depth to the image. I like it (a family member of mine has it on their plasma). In general though, a faint light behind the tv is supposed to reduct eye strain/fatigue if you watch TV in a dark room for long periods of time.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I prefer the exact opposite. Not only did I paint the bezel on my TV flat black, but the wall behind it as well (I am not getting my deposit back!) I also have the windows blocked off to eliminate ambient light. I like the screen to be the only visible object in the room.:)

G

guiness

Enthusiast
Wow so many different opinions, looks like I will just have to experiment to see what suites me. Thanks to all

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
I have a fully dedicated room ATM, and will where ever i move next and I have really really wanetd to do some verry soft ambient lighting. I have an 80 FP screan and I am really interested in putting up some sort of soft smbient light. I do notice eye strain in dark rooms especialy if you game. Gaming can be tough with all the flashes and such, I really like having some light in the room.

I am thinking about putting in a rope light with a dimmer. Sometiems I wouldn't want it on and some movies I would want much less light than others.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Wow so many different opinions, looks like I will just have to experiment to see what suites me. Thanks to all
While there are many opinions on it, the concept of lighting behind a display is tested and proven. The idea is that if you introduce a properly calibrated 6500K light source behind the display then it will help the overall appearance of the display.

Logically:

If the room is pitch black, then anything on screen that should appear as black, but isn't because of the display technology in use, will appear glaringly NOT black.

If the room is dark, then your eyes will have to deal with a significant amount of contrast in your field of vision from the dark room, to the bright display. This can cause eyestrain and headaches.

If the room is colored differently, or has lights on that are not 6500K then the colors on the screen can seem inaccurate when they are, in fact, dead on. The 6500K light source helps your eyes adjust to an accurate color level and will enhance color and image quality that is seen.

The shifting colors of Ambilight is most definitely a gimmick that most people find distracting. While some may like it, it actually will end up fooling the eyes in a way that will typically make an image on screen look worse than it actually is.

G

guiness

Enthusiast
BMX and Bass,
Thanks for the replies both made really good sense to me, and the link to the website-very nice. I think that sealed the deal for me, it may be the last thing that I buy but I will put that type of lighting behind the tv. Thanks again.

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
Here's a link to an example of how to do it yourself with nothing too fancy-
http://reviews.cnet.com/DIY_Home_Theater_Backlight_your_TV/4660-6449_7-6220102.html

I purchased a $12 flourescent plug in lamp from Menards and a better color bulb for $6. I have it plugged into a switched outlet so I flip it on when entering the room. I have two hooks on the back of the tv that hold up the light and covered up about 80% of it with tin foil to get a decent light level. I used a 15watt light I think, which is still way too much light. If you look around at Home Depot, Lowes, Menards you can find something that will work pretty cheap and go with a smaller wattage than what I got. If nothing else, you can try it to see if you like it, then when budget allows get a better or more professional setup.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis