TV Buying Info Help Please

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate any advice or input on buying a new TV.
I have limited income, my buget is $500.oo +/- $50.oo.
I am looking to get a DTV, and have narrowed it down to two models.
The first one is the,
JVC 32" SDTV with ATSC/QAM Tuner AV32F577 http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027760&pathId=120&page=2
http://reviews.cnet.com/JVC_AV_32F577_CRT_TV_32/4507-6481_7-31881179.html?tag=sub
The second one is the,
Samsung's 27" SlimFit™ HDTV TX-S2782H
http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/SlimFitHDTV/TXS2782HXXAA.asp?page=Specifications
http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_TX_S2782H/4507-6481_7-31628185.html?tag=sub

Both TV's look great in the store and have a lot of features:) , so here is my delimma.:confused:
Which TV would be the best buy for the buck in the long haul.
My wife has said that Samsung uses cheap parts and are not well built (has Samsung quality gotten better?).
The Samsung has a HDMI port that is a 1.0 :eek: format type and not upgradeable to 1.3:( should this be a concern?

Thank you all for your time and input/wisdom;) ,
hyghwayman

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
One big difference here

You're to be commended for doing your homework on tuners. Nowadays, a tuner isn't to be taken for granted. You would be surprised at how many still think "a tuner is a tuner". These ain't your dad's TV set anymore.

First, the similarities. They both seem to have the required tuners (ATSC for OTA digital TV and QAM for cable digital) This is good.

But, neither say but I'll assume, they have a NTSC tuner as well for "regular" non-digital OTA . You may want to check this out.

Second, they are both 4:3 sets. This is good for SD (or non-HDTV) programs which are broadcast in the 4:3 format.

Now, the big difference: Aside from the screen size difference which I'm sure you are aware of, the Samsung is capable of displaying HDTV, not just DTV, programming. The JVC is not. Granted, a 16:9 HDTV program will appear in a letterbox format on the 4:3 screen, but, IMNSHO, that's a cheap price to pay. If you rent widescreen movies you've seen this effect when you play them on a standard 4:3 TV.

So, do you want HDTV or not? Answer this and you'll have your answer.

And, as far as tgat HDMI issue, in his price range you are very limited. You're lucky you get one at all.

If you have a minute or so, this is what I just went through in your shoes. http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26866

Last edited:
Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
The Samsung 2782H does NOT have a QAM tuner. I currently have one and on other forum boards there are still a lot of arguments why they don't have the QAM. A lot of people wish they did. The over the air HD does look really good but you do have to be carefull with the slim fit models. Some of the attributes of the slim fits (all brands) is picture geometry issues due to the narrowed cabinet.

Bryguy

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Good catch.

Bryguy said:
The Samsung 2782H does NOT have a QAM tuner.
I read it quickly and totally bypased this tidbit.

But, where I live (NE New Joisey), Comcast totally negates the use of a QAM tuner by encrypting virtually anything worth a hoot. IOW, I have a QAM tuner but, using Comcast cable, to get a decent selection of digital TV channels (including HDTD), I had to spring for one of their boxes.

OTA is fargin glorious, though. Particularly the OTA HD PBS station.

why don't they have it? Possibly economics.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
I would have been more elaborate but when I typed that I was in the middle of talking to a customer on the phone, only if my boss knew.

I think some of the higher end Samsungs have the QAM but yes, that tuner depends heavily on what your scam artist cable company does or does not do to the signal.

It is unbelievable how good the picture is in HD for over the air with a simple pair of rabbit ears. Who knew! I just don't like the picture of HD football when they are using the camera's on the guy wires down center field. The fish eye lens they use distort the sidelines. I noticed this on some other HD, Digital and non digital TV's.

Bryguy

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
NTSC tuners

Hi Markw and Bryguy,
Thanks 4 the replies. Yes both models have the NTSC tuners in then and both have 16:9 modes as well.
After taking the wife to a few stores to compare:( we have agreed apon the JVC SDTV 27" AV-27F577 model for now.( $150.oo cheeper:rolleyes: than the 32")
Then When tax time comes around I hope to get the LG Model : 30FZ4D:D
to complete our entertainment room;).

http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/tv|audio|video_direct%20view__30FZ4D.jhtml

The JVC will then be moved to the Play room where the xbox and xbox 360 systems are now. Although I may have to move the 360 to the entertainment room :p.

Well thanks again for the replies.

hyghwayman

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds like a plan.

If your area is like mine, you'll be amazed at how many digital stations are lurking out there. I was. ...and I'm not just talking HDTV, just regular SD digital.

enjoy...

As for that LG set, you like dem CRT sets, doncha? Looks great, but just something to consider..

The price of that LG is smack dab in the middle of today's prices some pretty decent LCD and plasma sets. My Toshiba 32HL66 32" LCD is available for that price now, sometimes lower. Just think of how LCD/Plasma prices will drop within the next year, if not few months

Last edited:
X

XtremeM3

Audiophyte
or...you could wait until tax time and roll that $ into what you're sitting on now and just get 1 wicked display. :)

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Fired up my JVC

Hi all,
I bought this TV at my local HHGREGG on sale for $349.97 (My price was $329.97 :) after I asked the sales person if I could get a disscount)!:p
Just got my JVC Av-27F577 hooked up and WOW what a diff. between anolog and digital!:D
http://reviews.cnet.com/JVC_AV_27F577_CRT_TV_27/4505-6481_7-31881821.html?tag=qlph

I live in the Dayton Ohio area and I am able to receive all local broadcast using a indoor Philips HD antenna. I am also receiving broadcast from Cincy and Springfeild Ohio along w/ another from Ky.
With this TV my veiwing choises have almost tripeled. Plus watching the programs now in SD and HD is so much better(cleaner)w/ the audio in Dolby Digital which I have going to my Pioneer VSX-816K receiver.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Pioneer_VSX_816_K/4505-6466_7-31848960.html?tag=qlph

We watched the sunday night show Family Guy, it looked like I was watching a DVD, the colors were so bright and crisp.
I can not wait to see what a DVD looks like using the Component hookup. Sad to say, last year we bought this cheepo HTIB DVD player that has what they said was component jacks (Pr,Ps,Y) but after hooking it up to the TV and changing the setting on the DVD player, it turns out there are just (Y,U,V) what ever the heck that is (turns out to be the PAL version of NTSC / Pr,Ps,Y). :mad:
So off to get a New Progressive Scan DVD player ASAP, which will likly be at Tax time 2007 . Oh well, I live and learn evey day.

Watching OTA local broadcast is like having cable w/ out the cost. Plus my local ABC channel has a program called TheTube which plays Music Videos. I haven't watched a music video since back in the late 80's when I was still living at home. So happy I finnally moved into the Digital age! :)

The tv is a 4:3 with the 16:9 option and a zoom for OTA HD. It all looks great, just got done playing some Halo2 online and it looked preaty good even using composite video. Am watching Pirates of the Caribbean DEAD MAN'S CHEST right now and I can deff. see a better picture(finer detail) on this TV compaired to my 1990 26" JVC TV.

Happy Holidays,
hyghwayman

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Congratulations.

HDTV aside, it's amazing how many "regular" digital stations are lurking out there, isn't it? ...and how clean they come in. I was skeptical about this before I got an ATSC set and, like you, was amazed at how well it works.

Yep, digital TV is the way to go and, after seeing it, I can't really fault the FCC (or whoever) wants fo push it's acceptance. Assuming, of course, that converter boxes for the old analog only (NTSC) sets are easily available and reasonably priced.

I wish you and yours many happy viewing hours.

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Thanks MarkW,

Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones!

hyghwayman

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis