E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I’m thinking of auditioning a separate power amp for my main’s. I’ve been eyeballing the Rotel RB-1070. I can barrow one of these guys from my dealer for a weekend.

I’m gonna plug this Rotel into the main preouts of my Denon 4802R.

Does anyone have experience with this amp? I’ve read that it may be (very) bright. Can anyone confirm this?

For those reading this and saying “why the heck would he wanna do that!?” I want to perform an experiment to see if the claims that I’ve read are true or not: Denon amps are not musical, a separate power amp is better for music reproduction, yada yada. I can A/B this Rotel against the 4802R’s internal amps with very little hassle.</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Well, since nobody stepped up and gave feedback on the 1070, I went with the RB-1080 on my dealer’s recommendation.

I’m a few hours into the A/B test and my first impression is: those who say a Denon’s internal amplifiers are not as musical as some other amps appear to be correct. I tip my hat to you.

There really is no comparison – the improvement was instantly obvious. The Rotel is far more open and airy. I’m finding cymbals to be very revealing when comparing. On the Rotel cymbals sound more like a splash of sound – far more accurate then the 4802.  The bass response is simply amazing – the Rotel gives more of it and it’s very tight compared to the 4802.

I’m having a lot of fun here listening to my 4802R this Rotel. I think the dealer has just sold this amp

I’ll post more about this in a few days. I do want to give credit to Hawke and Yamahaluvr for unintentionally pushing me to try this. Thanks guys!</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>I have a Denon 3802, and I don't even know what it's internal amps sound like (!). &nbsp;I've always used it as a prepro.</font>

G

greatlakesike

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Glad to see you like the Rotel 1070 amp. I've been considering which home theater amp to purchase, and the Rotel RMB-1075 is high on my list. &nbsp;At 120W for each of 5 channels, it seems similar to the 1070's stereo output of 130W/channel.

As you have more time with your 1070, perhaps you could add to this thread your impressions of it (good and bad, if any). &nbsp;I've only heard that Rotel amps are very clean sounding, although I haven't heard if they fall into the category of either &quot;bright&quot; or &quot;warm&quot;.</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
greatlakesike : Glad to see you like the Rotel 1070 amp. I've been considering which home theater amp to purchase, and the Rotel RMB-1075 is high on my list.  At 120W for each of 5 channels, it seems similar to the 1070's stereo output of 130W/channel.

As you have more time with your 1070, perhaps you could add to this thread your impressions of it (good and bad, if any).  I've only heard that Rotel amps are very clean sounding, although I haven't heard if they fall into the category of either &quot;bright&quot; or &quot;warm&quot;.
Actually, I was told the RB-1080 would be a better choice for my Studio 100's and (after tring it) bought one. For several days now I have been amazed at its performance. I have been hearing such dynamics and clarity in my music that I could never go back. Defiantly a must do if you plan one listening to music on the 4802R (or any Denon I’d wager).

When I get a chance I will try to write a mini-review of this amp. So far all I can say is “try it” – you will not be disappointed.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Eric;

Glad to hear your positive experience with the Rotel amp. &nbsp;Rotel was my first introduction to high end audio back in my early college days. &nbsp;I used to work at a Hifi shop that carried Rotel. &nbsp;For kicks I brough home one of their 50lb 2CH monsters (991 model or something like that, back in 1994) and hooked it up to my Pioneer receiver and JBL LX speakers. &nbsp;I couldn't believe how much better my speakers sounded. &nbsp;They had better controlled and defined bass response, better top end, and much of the characterstic differences you noted in your comparison. &nbsp;After that I was hooked and the rest was history.

I am not sure about the 4802 amps, but I am quite pleased with the 5803 amps with my speakers. &nbsp;So much so in fact that I am not currently using an external power amp. &nbsp;

However, stay tuned as I have some really neat amps I am evaluating when RBH Sound hand delivers their new Signature T2 system next month!</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis